Nvidia CEO: Radeon VII is lousy and nothing new

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 10, 2019.

1. pharma

pharma Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Actually Digital's Foundry latest analysis using the RTX 2060 is pretty impressive. I'd expect this to further impact adoption of the new tech by the gaming community.

2. GlennB

GlennB Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 EK
    The first iteration of raytracing in BF5 had poor performance on a 2080 TI even on 1080P (dipping below 60). After DICE and NVIDIA implemented variable RT performance got a lot better. It now priorotizes RT on places where it benefits the most and downgrades on all other areas. So as of now there no full raytracing in BF5 and i doubt it will be there in the coming year since there are no shortcuts to raytracing.

https://gpuopen.com/gaming-product/radeon-rays/
    Also raytracting comes with DirectX in the form of DXR, we will have to wait for games to be released using it to compare performance. The Titan V has no problems doing raytracing since it comes with a ton of compute power and AMD also has a decent amount of it so performance should be ok. AMD doet state how much Mrays it does but so does NVIDIA and both numbers don't actually say anything. What we do know that if you use raytracing using compute it will take a performance hit, so far we only have the example of the Titan V that has no problems doing RT, a card that has a focus point for professionals not for gaming.

The thing is that card B ( 2080 )got sub 60 FPS in raytracing in BF5 on 1440P. Yes it now does 60 in 1080 but who the hell buys a 2080 to play on 1080P where you are CPU bound most of the times anyways.

Raytracing was already possible back in 2009 where Intel tested it on Quake 2 and later on Quake 3 and Quake 4 engines. The main problem has always been performance and it's the same problem we still have today. Right now you need a Titan V to get smooth gameplay, a card that costs 3200 dollar as of now.

3. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070ti 2114/4350
    That's pretty good, happy to see people can get some use of it even with the 2060.
    We'll just have to wait and see. Frostbite is pretty efficient so it'll be interesting to see how other engines cope with it.

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    VII was one of Rayfields ideas' it shouldn't have happened.

5. Maddness

Maddness Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW
    I kind of think they didn't have a choice. Navi isn't quite ready yet.

6. Killian38

Killian38 Master Guru

GPU:
    Heh just saw him talking about this. That CEO is very scared. It was either full on lies or half lies. Why does he play us all for fools? I bet he hasn't even used a RTX card.

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    just don't release a product, its that simple.

the card costs $750 to make, they aren't getting much profit of them.

8. Maddness

Maddness Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW
    Where did you see that. I doubt very much that it is true.

9. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    Do you have a source on this? At $750 they'd be selling these at a loss if $700 is MSRP.

Maddness likes this.
  10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    AMD almost always sells their consumer gpu's at a loss, they make up for it with the professional versions of the cards.

with the HBM memory already exceeding $320, its not hard to quantify the cost.

11. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I like to know as well as it's also part of the same lie that it cost AMD hundreds of dollars to use HBM per video card. But they didn't know that AMD was one of the organizations that created HBM.
    And they made a deal to get it at a discount. I don't have that article about the discount and even if I could find it the price was never given. However:
    https://www.kitguru.net/components/...ng-usage-of-hbm-and-do-not-collect-royalties/

12. pharma

pharma Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    I think an HBM2 cost approximation is roughly $175 (including interposer) for 8GB.
    https://www.gamers nexus.net/guides/3032-vega-56-cost-of-hbm2-and-necessity-to-use-it

13. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 GAMING OC
    Thank god this isn’t twitter.

BlackZero and Maddness like this.
  14. undermined

undermined Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1080 strix
    I'm not really a Nvidia fanboy, but is really wish AMD could put out a new GPU that doesn't seem big and hot.

triple fan , thick, supposed 300w cards are not instilling confidence in me that AMD will eventually have direct competition for Nvidia on the high end.

I'm glad they have viable 7nm cards coming out under the $1000 price point but I have to wonder if they will ever approach a Ti or Titan level performance before Intel's chance to try.

Maybe AMD will have something ready for 2019 in the form of Navi but it is a hard sell even compared to the over-priced RTX options if this is all AMD has until late 2019

15. Maddness

Maddness Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW
    I love the fact it is a triple fan setup. Single fan blower style fans have been the bane of AMD cards for 2 long.

K.S. likes this.

16. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Isnt your 1080 strix also big, thick and have tripple fans?

carnivore, K.S. and Maddness like this.
  17. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rx480 8GB
    I think it's a smarter move to use it only for certain things. I know it demands so much horsepower that we won't be able to see it rendered fully in real time for ages...it will be the future, but like VR in the 90s it is introduced rather early and of course it's introduced because they want us to keep on purchasing better and better GPUs until the end of times.
    Unless consoles start to do this I won't really care to jump on the bandwagon.

18. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    JHH really sounds the idiot, lately. Ray-tracing? Hah. What a ridiculous joke--what a clown! "Step right up folks and be amazed as we turn on our Tensor cores in order to do a lousy job of ray tracing five pixels each frame--and marvel at how our frame-rate plummets 50%! Step right up, folks, this baby is going to separate you from your pocketbook!" Man, he is surely rattled to toss out mindless drivel like this. Sheesh. nVidia will squash your wallet flat, too--what a deal...;)

19. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    As Denial pointed out, you haven't used their product for several years. The drivers since Catalyst have improved with the new dev team, and offer some very nice features. My 390 experience has been great, except for Wattman support, they never did get that right. However, if you have a more recent Polaris or Vega, you do some undervolting for the Vega, set up Chill to use your FreeSync range min+5 fps and upper max range, enable FS, and you have a quiet card, lowered power consumption and heat, and smooth gameplay. On my 4K screen I used 45-60 fps, and it rocked.

carnivore and HandR like this.
  20. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Man, you know nothing. I look few times a year to threads about nVidia's drivers. What I read there says that nVidia has worst drivers from PC-GPU trio. And that means they are worse than intel's.
    This is not common quote from AMD's drivers thread:
    No, this is from newest nVidia driver thread. Objectively looking at issues at hand, fixes and experiences users have...

You are writing about AMD's drivers like if those were ATi's 15+ years ago.

carnivore likes this.