Nvidia CEO: Radeon VII is lousy and nothing new

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 10, 2019.

1. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    Leaks suggesting about an average of 30% faster than Vega 64. Still nowhere 45% of RTX 2080. It will be placed after 1080ti/2070 but before RTX 2080. Go on, live your hype some of you believing it will be between RTX 2080 and RTX 2080TI.

2. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    I'd remind everyone that AMD and ATI were both around YEARS, even DECADES before Nvidia came along. Why are they not the leading 3D graphics company? Let's face it, Nvidia just makes better products, period. They have better designs, it's just that simple. AMD should count themselves blessed that Nvidia doesn't make x86 CPUs.

AMD: Founded 1969
    ATI: Founded 1985
    Nvidia: Founded 1993

In point of fact, Huang had previously worked at AMD designing microprocessors. AMD and ATI were both very well established before Nvidia came along. Heck, Nvidia even beat the guys at 3Dfx at their own game, and these were guys that came from Silicon Graphics!

Instead of defending AMD, you guys should be demanding that they do better.

Also, I don't know if it was mentioned yet, but Huang did this to Intel some years back as well, going as far as to call their graphics chips "a joke", and he wasn't wrong then, either.

And one last thing: I do agree that it's improper for a CEO to behave like this, HOWEVER AMD, at least as a company, if not an individual, is certainly as guilty as Nvidia (a case of the pot calling the other, more successful pot black). Dig into the whole Microsoft-Nvidia-Xbox Dispute-DX9.0c-Shader-2.0-Last-Minute-Spec-Changes-ATI-Valve-Half-Life 2 scandal to learn more.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    Hulk12, BangTail, lucidus and 2 others like this.
  3. DW75

DW75 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ROG GTX1080 Ti OC
    Warlord, the 1080 Ti and RTX 2080 are the same performance. No, not the founders edition 1080 Ti either, which most didn't buy. AIB of both cards perform the same.

Solfaur and warlord like this.
  4. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    Well said.

They are equal here and there or 1080ti is slower about ~5-20% than RTX 2080 depending on title and resolution according to guru3d benchmarks if you make your research. So you can't place them equal for no reason.

BangTail and K.S. like this.

5. DW75

DW75 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ROG GTX1080 Ti OC
    Guru3d tests were using a founders edition 1080 Ti, which is much slower than aftermarket models.

Solfaur and warlord like this.
  6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Actually, 3DFx beat themselves and NVidia bought them as the company was failing.

NVidia isn't actually the leader in the graphics market. Intel actually is. NVidia leads a subset of the graphics market. If Intel actually delivers a dedicated graphics card, they will further increase their lead in the graphics market.

AMD didn't get into graphics until they bought out ATI. ATI, as a company, was only founded 8 years before NVidia. That's not even a decade.

If you base success on how old a company is, Intel should be able to enter and immediately dominate the discrete graphics market in 2020..... Intel was founded in 1968.... that's 25 years before NVidia. I'll be surprised if Intel actually releases a graphics card this time, since they didn't last time, and even more surprised if it is actually competitive against NVidia's product line.

At the time Huang left AMD, they weren't a major player in the CPU market. They had never created their own CPU, instead slapping their logo on CPU designs that were licensed from Intel and reverse engineering CPU designs that Intel would not license them to produce. The only reason AMD was even in the CPU market to begin with, is because of IBM. AMD didn't actually become an "innovative" company until the late 90's when the K7 Athlon launched.

Given NVidia's current position, he has no reason to be scared. NVidia isn't surviving simply on discrete graphics cards. Sure, the stock value loss probably irritated him and I'm sure the lawsuit being filed is as well. However, the stock value will work it's way back up and he knows it. There are too many things NVidia is involved in for him to be scared at this point. Even if AMD were to release a card that can outperform the RTX2080Ti in every scenario, NVidia still dominates AMD in the professional market and HPC market. NVidia also has their hands in autonomous driving systems, where AMD appears to have nothing. NVidia is more concerned about high value markets.

HandR, Solfaur, lucidus and 2 others like this.
  7. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Huang's ego is what is responsible for his outburst. It's also yet another opportunity to hype that RTX gimmick and make people believe that the 2080 has some value (now that the 1080 Ti has been killed off, he needs the 2080 to hold the fort in its price bracket). It's certainly disappointing that AMD hasn't managed to move GPUs forward, but neither has Nvidia. Talk about hypocrisy.

At any rate, I will certainly be voting against Huang with my shares as I do not enjoy being deceived. I would rank Su far above Huang as far as CEOs are concerned.

carnivore, Valken and K.S. like this.
  8. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 GAMING OC
    This

This

No comment lol

Valken and warlord like this.
  9. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 1080
    The 2060 is dead in the water now. That whole focus on the announcement of the 2060 is now useless. My bet is that is what triggered the response. AMD has that price point covered with a superior performing card. So his generosity of offering an RTX card at such a "low" price has now bit him in the backside.

10. Equinoxe

Equinoxe Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 TI GAMING SLI
    Make Nvidia great AGAIN!

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    AMD announcing a $700 card triggered him because his $350 card is now useless? Am I missing something?

carnivore, K.S., Solfaur and 2 others like this.
  12. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Thats old. 2080 is faster in every new game and it will continue to be. Its all about the Turing. 1180/2080 and RVII will run the show this year, Pascal is history and probably its support too.

Maddness likes this.
  13. D3Master

D3Master Member

GPU:
    SLI Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1
    "And if we turn on ray tracing we’ll crush it."

What? With that LOUSY ray tracing framerate?

14. Thunk_It

Thunk_It Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080ti Turbo
    Hilbert, I really appreciate you for posting this story. In my opinion, these comments made by Jensen Huang are very inappropriate. Hopefully AMD's upcoming Radeon VII will obtain a good market share for them!

Maddness likes this.
  15. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rx480 8GB
    AMD is well behind in the GPU game but it's till an improvement over the best AMD card, and 7nm should be quite a bit more efficient.
    Hopefully Navi is not too far away, even though I don't care for the highest end cards.
    Raytracing does not interest me in the slightest yet, needs to go a few generations before things get better.

16. Petr V

Petr V Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx over 9000
    Yes this all RTX is now only bad joke.

17. claydough

claydough Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA gtx 1080fe
    I can understand people being upset that an introduced technology is being released with such an unprecedented pricepoint...
    But after years of developers having to use hacks to achieve raytracing effects...
    I do not understand how real time ray tracing is the gimmick?
    Personally I know an army of creatives who are chomping at the bit to leverage ray tracing to heighten the art of real time graphics and an army of gamers whining because a technology just introduced hasn't resulted in a flood of games right away sounds pretty unrealistic.
    What release from any GPU didn't come with new tech that was touted in a few demos and their SDKs had a mass adoption in all games at time of release?
    Self shadowing soft shadows? Subsurface Scattering realistic skin? Tessellation?
    Who cares if no games are published that does not use Ray tracing as long as an army of creatives finally have a card ( cheaper than volta ) to finally begin working on implementing as much.
    Heck.. Nvidia's real time sss skin demo was released with the 8800 ultra...
    And it was several generations till as much was feasible in games. I don't remember all this nay-saying over cutting edge tech not being published by all games right away back then?
    If AMD doesn't have an aggressive implementation of real time ray tracing support to make nvidia compete on price then it will be a big step backwards for graphic progress!
    Everyone saying RTX RT is a gimmick needs to check themselves. Ray tracing is an awesome step forward not backward albeit at an unrealistic price point.
    If an 11xx series does come out without RT...
    Than as much will hurt graphical fidelity progress.
    And promotes less progress in support of as much in new games.
    It would be a vote for the least common denominator in graphics.

tensai28 and Maddness like this.
  18. claydough

claydough Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA gtx 1080fe
    So how is that not just turning down/sacrificing on ultra settings to achieve FPS? We have advanced real time ray tracing playable on QHD at 60fps with the newest Battlefield drivers and it's the end of the world for real time ray tracing? And lighting fidelity in games is ... a gimmick?
    U people are insane!
    Reminds me of Louis Ck's everything is amazing and no one is happy skit!

19. umeng2002

umeng2002 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
    Jensen sounds mad gamers aren't forking over hundreds of dollars more for his RTX cards. I would be impressed with RTX if DLSS would work with every single DirectX, OpenGL, and Vulkan program out there... not specially trained "partner" games.

It's sort of like Valve releasing Steam without Half-Life 2. nVidia dedicated half of their silicon to RTX... only one or two games use it right now... and they're not even popular games.

Solfaur likes this.
  20. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    So what you're saying is, DLSS and ray tracing will become the most wildly adopted technology for games ever.

If not, then that analogy doesn't make sense.

(i just realized you may have been saying that as IF valve didn't release steam without HL2....if that's what you're saying, then that's wrong, Steam released in 2003, HL2 in 2004)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019