NVIDIA CEO Hands out Special Titan V GPUs to Elite AI Researchers

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Killian38

Killian38 Guest

GPU:
    I heard he gave them to Sex bot creators...

2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    3 months ago, there were articles about Titan V having some issues with compute results.
    I wonder how AI calculations go on mathematically unstable GPU. Must make attempts on finding reason for misbehavior fun.

3. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super

One single user with 2 cards out of 4 outputting inconsistent results in 1 application (Amber) does not equal unstable GPU

Neither Amber ppl nor Nvidia have been able to replicate the issue.

yasamoka likes this.
  4. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025

Just another example of bias getting in the way of rational thought. It's like the mainstream media and their hate for Trump. If he brokered world peace, the headlines the following day would be "thousands of aid workers fired by Trump".

5. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    Im sure they're running scared after losing 1% of the server market over all the months since threadripper was released.

BangTail likes this.
  6. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    Actually, the headlines would probably be "dollar collapsed, USA is broke". :p Also, UN aid workers, ironically, don't work for the USA.
    Nothing against you buddy, just having some fun here in this nonsense thread of discussion that is being led.

7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    No one else was ever able to replicate that issue.

Edit: Noisiv

yasamoka likes this.
  8. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt

it is not a prosumer model. it is a professional gpu.

tensor cores will not be a prominent feature of consumer cards, thus the wait.

its not easy stripping out what used to be a feature. it entails entirely new architecture, albeit based on pascal-shrink or volta-strip.

let's be real folks and understand this is a business, not a personal relationship. you may love Nvidia (or AMD), but they love your dollars/euros, not you.

Nvidia has lost hundreds of millions of dollars in lost sales... to their gaming gpus.
    titan V 32 bit is a full on pro model, its just not called Quadro. and if any of you dispute the lost sales, i invite you to visit a Google barge.

9. lord_zed

lord_zed Active Member

GPU:
    980ti MOD 1500/8000 LC
    I just love buthurt NV Haters
    Even chap running the Youtube channel thibnks same as ME in last 2 minutes.

NV WON Gaming gpu market.

They did what Raja said they did... CRUSHED COMPETITION.

10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    The Titan line is a prosumer line. Titan V series is obviously more expensive than previous but the intention is clear that it bridges the gap. The professional variant for compute is V100 for $10,000 and workstations Quadro V100 which is $9000.

As for the rest of your post and lost sales I have no idea what you're even referring to.

11. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Yah looking at 3Dmark Hall of Fame or Steam survey, it would seem the tales of Intel's demise are greatly exaggerated.

Have they been complacent and made mistakes, absolutely, but it will take a lot more than that to dethrone them (in the near future at any rate).

12. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I watched the last 3 minutes, and it seems Adored threw in the towel LOL. /disappoint{} He lasted nowhere near as his sensei Charlie D.
    As late as last year Charlie maintained than Nvidia numbers were self-inflated, and that the inevitable crush was just around the corner.

And unlike Adored Charlie was a real funny guy: "nV might be looking good now, but they are not fooling us. Mark our words: next quarter Nvidia is going Titanic"
    And then it was the next quarter, and the next ... and through all this Nvidia grew something like 30 times ROFL

yasamoka likes this.
  13. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Perhaps you did not see former Intel CEO Brian Krzanich's comment on this? He outright stated that Intel will lose server market share to AMD (possibly up to 15% - 20%). It seems that you're far more confident of Intel's server business than the top executive at Intel; there is every indication that they're concerned/scared of EPYC.

tunejunky likes this.
  14. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    And maybe they will but you can't see the future anymore than he (or anyone else) can and right now, it is quite simply not the case, your wishful thinking notwithstanding.

Competition is a good thing, and having these two competing closely is the best thing for us as consumers.

15. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Mr. Krzanich did not draw a firm line in the sand as it relates to AMD's potential gains in servers; he only indicated that it was Intel's job to not let AMD capture 15-20% market share.

Someone correct me, but the way I read Krzanich is:

Yes, we will lose server market. And it's our job to prevent this loss turning into something major (aka 15-20%).

16. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yeah i mean, it's pretty obviously they would lose some degree of server market share.. AMD basically didn't even have a server processor prior to Epyc. That being said, 15-20% seems generous even in the next 2-3 years. A few friends of mine consult in that industry and the price savings on Epyc isn't as big as the processor price would lead you to believe due to lack of variation in SKU's from OEMs. That coupled with most companies choosing to maintain hardware compatibility/parity going forward (IE companies with thousands of servers don't want to suddenly have 75% Intel 25% AMD based systems) slows penetration. The server market in general is way more resistant to quick market share swings than consumer.

If AMD can keep Epyc competitive going forward though - say 5-6 years, then those numbers can be possible.

17. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    There are a number of ways that could be interpreted, but most interpreted it as Krzanich saying that he sees AMD potentially taking a fifth of Intel's server business. Even during the height of the Opteron days AMD only had about 24% of the market so this would represent a major shift in the server space.

There's a reason why Intel's stock took a major nose dive that day (and why AMD stock shot up). Investors knew what he was implying.

Yes, Lisa Su said she expected slow growth in the server business. This is one of the things that made Krzanich's comments so odd (seemed he was more confident of AMD's server business than AMD!). Of course the former CEO did not give a timeline - he might have been taking a long view of several years. My guess is that Intel sees their current Xeon line as being less competitive against EPYC, but want to try to hold AMD's gains until they can revamp their server solutions.

18. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt

oh there are more than indications. far more.
    the fact that every major player/manufacturer on the server end has Epyc units (computers/mobos/etc) in their pipeline and being sold to corporate clients.

an analogy for you would be for PowerColor to feature Nvidia in their new line-up.

and we're talking Dell, HP, etc. major sales channels for the server market.

and on the Intel side you have crickets and a cpu that cannot be put on a server rack 24/7.

19. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    WUAHAHAHA hehehehehe höhöhöhö. Fu** yeah, what a pun!

The "C-E-O-Edition" ... come on guys, don't tell me you didn't see this, I mean, really ...

If you work some time in IT and have contact to the management people, those CxOs, you KNOW why this is endlessly funny!

So WHY should a Titan V "CEO Edition" be something good?
    It decides something you have to live with without your consent?
    It plays ball?
    Golf?
    It doesn't actually archieve anything?

Or is it because 1+1=3?:
    https://wccftech.com/nvidia-titan-v-error/

HAHAHAHAHA, priceless.

Guys? You made my Monday! :)

20. Seikon

Seikon Active Member

GPU:
    MSI RX480 Gaming X 8g
    Well INTEL made that 28core 5ghz cooled by a chiller for fun right ? not because they were afraid of the 32core treadripper :))