nvidia card with amd chipset

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by PhazeDelta1, Dec 26, 2010.

1. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    well its finally time to get rid of my dinosaurs and upgrade. i have not made up my mind yet if im going to stay with amd or go with nvidia. i do know itll be single card this go around. but if i decide to go green ill either get the 570 or the 580. what i want to know is how many of yall have or are going the amd chipset/nvidia graphics way. is there any issues or anything other than the obvious lack of sli. just want to get some input ty in advance :D

2. blackthesoul

blackthesoul Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1080ti
    hiya buddy, i was also wondering the same thing a couple years back before i started the upgrades, but so far i have personaly found no problems using single NV card while using an AMD chipset.
    the only disadvantage is one that you have already mentioned, but if your going to be going for the 570/580 then i think you will be fine for single/non sli arrangement, although it still really depends what resolution u are gonna be using though tbh mate, also you will still have the option to use a seperate card for utilizing physx if needed, which could come in handy :)
    sory i couldnt be of more use mate, but i have had zero problems so far with this configuration, luckily there are enough awesome Guru's here to shed some light on possible problems which i have not encountered :)

hope this helps buddy,

take it easy m8 :)

3. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    i have the gateway FHX2402L that is 1920x1080 resolution. i was wondering about the additional physx card as well. but ya answered it before i could ask :D im still debating on what i want to do. hopefully ill have made up my mind by next weekend

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  4. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    No problems with DFI LANParty DK 790FX-B M2RSH and Palit GTX260 C216.

Only con with this AMD chipset and Nvidia GPU is lack of officially supported SLI, nothing else.

5. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
  6. blackthesoul

blackthesoul Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1080ti

i completely forgot there was that option!! lol, well... thats sealed the deal for me getting a second 470 lol :)

@ OP : seeing the options available i think your decision may just come down to personal preference to go with the green or red side again :)
    good luck with your decision buddy :)

7. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    oh hell i didnt even know about that tweak :D well i guess my mind is made up then. still dont know if its gonna be a 570 or 580. sure wish artic cooling would get off their butts and release those accelero xtreme coolers for these monsters :D

8. gaban

gaban Member

GPU:
    PNY GTX 460 OC XLR8 1GB
    wow, thanks didnt know that. Was thinking buying mobo with nvidia chipset but there is only one to pick but i dont like its layout. Is there any limitation using sli with non nvidia chipset?

9. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    if i read that guide correctly, there shouldnt be any limitations. once installed, sli would run just like it was in a nvidia chipset board

10. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    @Firestorm - the current gtx480 vrm sink package with the accelero xtreme plus (i think thats what its called) works. the zalman vf3000 also works but needs tweaking as its an all in one sink.

http://www.overclock.net/nvidia-cooling/887219-zalman-vf3000f-gtx-580-a.html

and there is only one limitation with the sli tweak, although its not really a limitation. touching the bios resets the tweak.

the way the tweak works is based on how windows handles the bios data. basically, windows only directly reads from the bios after the first boot and after any direct tweaking to the bios. after that, windows stores the data in the registry and reads it from there. the tweak messes with the bios settings in the registry to make the drivers think your board supports SLI. well, thats what i could understand from reading the description.

so if you touch the bios, the tweak disables itself. its not really a limitation or issue though as you can always reapply the tweak.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010