nVidia card for video editing

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by suchuwato, Nov 7, 2013.

1. suchuwato

suchuwato New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 9800gtx+
    Hey guys!

I currently have a ageing 9800GTX+ and would like to replace it with something a bit more snappy. I've got £150 to spend so was looking at a 660 - maybe the EVGA GTX 660 SC? (my 9800 is an EVGA but I'm not a fanboy... provided the manufacturer is reputable I don't care)
    I don't play any games on my PC at all so consequently haven't kept up with the world of video cards for years... any advice or suggestions are welcome!
    Again, I'm only really interested in decent CUDA/OpenCL performance for around £150

Thanks!

2. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Honestly, if you want good OpenCL performance AMD is by far better choice. So if your programs make heavy use of it, you should consider other alternatives (like Radeon 270X).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  3. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    I'd recommend a 7950 for that sort of money. Faster than a 270X and roughly the same price. For £150 a vanilla 660 is a pretty poor purchase imo. If it has to be Nv at least push for a 760.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  4. suchuwato

suchuwato New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 9800gtx+
    I guess I could go the AMD route and run my CUDA only apps on another machine. Is the 7950 the best AMD choice for that money? I really can't go higher than £160