NVIDIA #BeForTheGame - Watch the Gamescom 2018 Livestream

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 20, 2018.

1. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I read articles every now and then about the PC gaming market growing. Sorry but these prices will be a major speedbump and are short sighted. You'll need to pay Intel and Nvidia alone $1000 at this rate for a good gaming PC?

2. EL1TE

EL1TE Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 SH X 2.1GHz
    Time will tell if it sells out.

There's no actual FPS numbers, and the mentions in performance are regarding Ray Tracing, so useless.

It might be 10 times better in RT and only perform 10% better in actual FPS.

3. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    True... But, going by the recent past, the 970 was around 780ti performance, the 1070 was round the 980ti performance. I'm expecting the 2070 to match and even slightly outperform the 1080ti. And looking at the leaked stats of the 2080ti, it'll demolish the 1080ti.

4. Paulo Narciso

Paulo Narciso Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    Node reduction won't allow that this time.

5. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    If it's the usual ~30% performance gain, that won't be very impressive at all, don't really care about all the raytracing Mambajahamba either, it's just not that relevant yet.

6. EL1TE

EL1TE Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 SH X 2.1GHz
    We're one month away from release, maybe we will only see reviews on release day.

Whatever, not buying any at that price until there's actual numbers of FPS.

For the 2080Ti to be that price it would have to be new gen Titan level rather than just a Ti being released sooner, because i sure as hell won't be funding RT lol.

7. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Sorry, I meant the fact that it is 352-bit rather than overall bandwidth.

The specs make it look like a successor to the 1080 Ti but the pricing makes it look more like it belongs in the Titan family of cards... which begs the question of how much a Titan variant of this card (if there is going to be one) would sell at. I shudder to think!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  8. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti @ 2050
    Noticing it.. so where are they?

9. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
  10. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    I think it comes down in poor communication by Nvidia. They will probably release the founders edition first, then few weeks later the normal edition.
    maybe they wanted to avoid the +$100 discussion for the founders edition.

11. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I'm actually not interested in the ray-tracing feature of the card at all, mainly because we all know that come launch and for a year afterwards there isn't going to be much that actually uses it outside of a few updated benchmarks (3DMark, Unigine?) and a handful of games if we're lucky. For all we know, ray-tracing in games could be a gimmick like 3D was.

But like the TV market, where you will likely buy a 4K TV whether you want one or not, NVIDIA may push the RTX range such that all their future cards feature it even if developers don't actually make use of it. And unless AMD are planning to add ray-racing to their next GPUs and to the GPU feature set of the PS5 and Xbox One successor then I can't help but wonder just how widespread ray-tracing will actually be in games. It really could be just a marketing gimmick.

12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    Raytracing is part of DX12's spec now and it's simplicity of integration will almost guarantee it's future support. AMD already supports raytrace acceleration via RPM - it just isn't close in performance to what Nvidia is doing.

Fox2232 likes this.
  13. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Ray tracing is not going to be a gimmick. It solves many problems naturally without the need to rely on hacks.

Though, this is just a start and the next iteration is likely much more impressive. I'll keep my GTX 1070 for now.

14. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    It's not enough to sell me on these cards, I need to see performance numbers and that doesn't look like it is going to happen today and I'm not dropping several thousand dollars site unseen as it were.

10x RT performance is great but as you rightly say, if that's all these cards bring to the table, it's probably not worth rushing to get them.

15. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4

16. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Time will tell but I suspect it may be too computationally expensive, even in these new cards, to be used for more than a few effects like enhancing shadows or lighting. I guess the reviews will reveal all but is there actually anything available that showcases the cards ray-tracing abilities?

17. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    For now ray-tracing is going to be a marketing gimmick because there´s going to be a very small amount of software using/supporting but maybe in 3 to 5 years time ray-tracing will be more common in games, don´t know. For now ray-tracing is going to have the same importance as nvidia physx... Unless the visual effects are something really special...

18. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 270X DC2 TOP
    I ask for the tech guys what we can see of the charts? Is it really possible that the 2070 will be around the 1080 (or somewhat better) and the 2080 around the 1080 Ti (or somewhat better) without RT? Is this really possible?

19. gx-x

gx-x Maha Guru

GPU:
    1070 G1
    Well, looks like I might finally pick up 1060 6gb.
    Good luck to early adopters and "must have it" folks, I wish you and your credit rating all the best. Make sure to send nVidia that message that they cannot price things as much as you are willing to pay for swag.

20. drwoodcomb

drwoodcomb Member

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti 6GB