NVIDIA #BeForTheGame - Watch the Gamescom 2018 Livestream

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    It's obviously going to be fast but it adds a whole new layer of technology into the mix so eye candy haves and have nots it is then. RTX will get it's own drivers or what? Anyway all that added eye candy which does look amazing btw but it's at a cost. I highly doubt they managed 144hz/fps @4K but 60 is now in reach with the added eye candy.

Not sure how it's gonna work with older titles because DX9/11 are still easily the majority of the games i play atm.

2x 2080Tis through NVLINK maybe reach 144fps.

lol at this rate the next console will out PC my PC and it might be time to call it a day and go full console. ^^

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  2. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Just 4 years ago the 980 Ti could be had for $650 now we are seeing almost a doubling of that for the top Ti card. This is what it looks like when there is no competition. AMD please make Navi competitive, please.

ivan likes this.
  3. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Yep, NVlink is a reason to buy these on it's own tbh, I still want to see performance numbers but losing the mediocre support for SLI while getting better performance is definitely something I like the idea of.

4. Rx4speed

Rx4speed Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 295x2
    Unless mining picks back up, no way they meet their sales goals. You can buy a high-end 1080 ti, with 2.5yrs of warranty left on ebay for $525 shipped no tax ALL DAY LONG on ebay in the US right now. So you sell yours, and after fees you have maybe $415 and now have to add an additional $800 for a new 2080ti? Nope.

5. EL1TE

EL1TE Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 SH X 2.1GHz
    The prices on the left are the MSRP, so the prices for ASUS, MSi etc cards. The ones on the right are the Founders Edition prices.

6. ivan

ivan Active Member

GPU:
    2x GTX 1080ti
    Only thing I saw that was making sense of all this pricing non-sense is this guy HWgeek post from earlier

"Nvidia Playing Smart- The partners and Nvidia have Huge stock of Pascal GPU's so they Priced the new line so high that they not gonna hurt Pascal sales until the stock is over then they will Drop the prices.

Geek"

And it kinda makes perfect sense because who remembers the tweet from NVIDIA with the Cargo Ship full of NVIDIA Storage containers that the called "Supply Run"

[​IMG]

7. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
    So when do we get to see real reviews?

8. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO
  9. Jespi

Jespi Member

GPU:
    8GB
    Okay, we heard from the boss "ten times better raytracing perfomance than.... twenty five times more raytracing performance than.... raytracing..raytracing.. RTX... realtime raytracing"...blah blah blah.
    What i'm more interested in, is the raw power. I play games with 21:9 3440x1440 g-sync monitor and my GTX 1080 is holding fine...buuut in some games it can lose the track. Assasins Creed Origins 58avg FPS. Rise of the Tomb raider 47avg FPS. Now what i want from RTX 2080 is to have at least 25% growth of FPS in these kind of games.
    It's nice that 2080 has XYZ more raytracing power than pascal, but am i gonna buy 800€ card, that will rise the FPS in non raytracing games from 10 to 15% ? Hell no.

AMD GCN architecture has always been very specific. All the AMD fan boys were saying... "Well Polaris is powerfull, Vega is powerfull... if you play certain games, under certain API, under certain conditions, under certain resolution, you will be more powerfull than NVIDIA"
    What i like about NVIDIA is that you always get raw power, under lower heat and lower consumption than AMD and there were no excuses. No "certain situations"
    What am scared now is that NVIDIA is going in steps of AMD and under "certain situations" (RT) their Graphic Cards will provide ten times more performance. But remove these certain situations and you get poor overpriced product.

So, i'm thrilled about RTX, i want to buy 2080, but if you want my money, i need to see progress in old games i need to know, that when i play old AC:Origins it will run 70+FPS with lower heat=noise than my 1080

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  10. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    @Jespi drop video settings a bit, you are welcome.
    You gonna end up upgrading each time highest end is released if you keep sliding all settings to ULTRA.

11. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    its "from" you want the oc'ed founders then you pay more
    but I'd try a flash and save 200usd
    everyone should hit 1600 at least

12. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    2070 clearly isn't a card for those who own a 1080ti, jeez.

It'll be a sub 600usd gpu with 1080ti performance and all the bells and whistles.

13. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    RTX games list from the presentation;

ARK: Survival Evolved
    Assetto Corsa: Competizione
    Atomic Heart
    Battlefield V
    Control
    Dauntless
    In Death
    Enlisted
    Final Fantasy XV
    The Forge Arena
    Fractured Lands
    Hitman 2
    Justice
    JX3
    MechWarrior V: Mercenaries
    Metro: Exodus
    Player Unknown's: Battlegrounds
    Remnant from the Ashes
    Serious Sam 4: Planet Badass
    Shadow of the Tomb Raider
    We Happy Few

I can say that from this list, that the adoption of RTX is much better than DX12 in terms of number of supported titles+time-frame. I actually think that RT/RTX could quickly become a "standard" graphics option in PC games within just a few years.

Yes, the pricing is painful right now (first-gen of a new thing always is), but, all of you will take it for granted as we come into 2020 and beyond.

Robbo9999 likes this.
  14. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    This the thing that annoyed me about Turing presentation. All the focus was RT performance but no mention of the 99% of gaming scenarios that RT doesnt cover. Non-RT perf is more relevant to me NOW than in a year or 2 (when Turings successor arrives). Have a feeling that JHH is not that confident his products will deliver on the non-RT front, and maybe why he avoided mention of it.

15. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Competition (or lack thereof) certainly has a lot to do with it. Remember that Intel sold the 8-core 6900K for $1050 and the 10-core 6950X for $1700. Was the two extra cores worth the $650 difference? Not really, but it still sold because they had a monopoly. I'd imagine the same would apply to the 2080 and 2080 Ti. Is the price difference worth it? Nope, but people will still buy it in droves because it's the best consumer GPU on the market.

I've heard plenty of people say that Nvidia would never become like Intel but I see no reason why - all monopolies act remarkably similar. As long as Nvidia dominates the GPU market, we can expect these kinds of price premiums so we might as well get used to it.

carnivore likes this.

16. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    3080 12gb
    Half of the people whining about price here will be running for their wallets as soon as the newest iteration of their favorite tired franchise comes out and they find they can't turn that one setting up to ultra anymore.

17. Jespi

Jespi Member

GPU:
    8GB
    I think audience has realised that too, that's why he was so "wanna be funny" and got no reply back. After a while he lost his confidence. Ofc, he's a professional so he kept his voice, his enthusiasm but neither we nor the audience were / are buying that.

18. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Not sure you understand. 1070 owners seeking to go 2070 can get 1080ti instead.

19. DEADPOOL3980

DEADPOOL3980 Member

GPU:
    980 4gb
    I guess I'll be waiting For the next cards to come out Was really hoping for more Then again I guess that's the cycle The next card will probably had better physics is then the following card Will have better textures like the hair and skin The way different fabrics look

20. Sifr

Sifr Member

GPU:
    SLI GTX 1080
    Wait! So no more driver support needed? Just plug-and-play multi-gpu's?!!