1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NVIDIA #BeForTheGame - Watch the Gamescom 2018 Livestream

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 20, 2018.

1. EL1TE

EL1TE Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 SH X 2.1GHz
    First the complain was the amount of CUDA cores, now point has been made it's not about CUDA cores anymore and suddenly is core clocks.

Regarding clocks and CUDA cores its not that simple because the architecture is completely different.

alanm likes this.
  2. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Light
    It's possible but just seems odd, dunno... the difference between the 2080ti and 2080 seem to be huge.... but watching the whole thing god damn does this launch look rather fishy.... we saw no performance charts, no performance metrics nothing.... Ray tracing looks cool, but not if i gotta pay 60-70% more for what could only be a 30% jump in performance.

Reckon this price jump is more to do with no competition than anything, AMD has zero answers in their GPU department which is a shame when their CPUs are doing so well now... just going to be an nvidia stack of cards for games and no reason for anyone to get AMD

3. evildave-

evildave- New Member

GPU:
    gtx 770
    It wasnt mentioned once that "architecture is completely different" for shader/cuda core. 0 reasons to assume cuda core is changed. New things are rays and tensors this time around.

One thing that i am thinking about - its possible that using rays for lighting and shadows may free up some cuda cores on those 20xx cards. So 2070 may be stronger than 1080, but still i doubt it will surpass 1080ti. It will definately be slower than BOTH 1080 and 1080 ti with rays off.

4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Sorry no, Kepler was that.. at those barely 1300mhy clocks.. most topped out at 1200mhz.

980ti can easily do 1400-1450mhz on avg and at that clock it's a 1070ti.

Loophole35 likes this.

5. EL1TE

EL1TE Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 SH X 2.1GHz
    Not that, i mean the actual Turing chip and how it "interacts" with CUDA cores, performance is not limited to core clock and/or CUDA cores.

[​IMG]

Anyway for people complaining about lack of benchmarks there was one, the UE4 Infiltrator Demo, running at 4K 60FPS (as shown on video since there was a FPS meter) on the 2080 Ti where a 1080 Ti sits in the 30 something FPS.

6. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Light
    the 1070 did clock quite high mind you, didn't some people get it to 2k? or was that the 1080 or both... Point is both clocks and cuda cores matter, you can have all the cude cores in the world but if they only run at 100mhz it ain't going very far.

Some reason the GDDR6 on these cards are only going to be 14,000mhz instead of the 16,000 mhz which GDDR6 was meant to achieve, maybe it still needs more work done to it.

I'm waiting for HH to give me benchmarks before i do or don't but anything, but with the lack of showing any information it smells a tad fishy to me, didn;t see one actual benchmark

7. EL1TE

EL1TE Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 SH X 2.1GHz
    The GTX1080 gets to 2.1GHz but is not easy and is mostly with curve (otherwise mine doesn't even do 2GHz at all if not with curve), it also comes down if you can control the card Voltage which might go up to 2300 but is very hard.

8. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    12hundo for a ti
    that crap better be highly moddable meaning liking voltage and have free open bios tools.

and yo whats with asking 8 for a 256 bus card? last time I looked the 980 and 1080 were about 550

I am sure they got a lol 8 giga core card already

like someone said at these prices they protect the 10xx cards sales.

very easy for amd to totally pull a 4780 on them if they can get their crap together

-Tj- likes this.
  9. EL1TE

EL1TE Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 SH X 2.1GHz
    I'm more worried AMD actually makes a good architecture rather than just release a lineup where the stock is 100 units like they did with Vega :p

I miss ATI :(

10. Paulo Narciso

Paulo Narciso Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    My previous 290x was a beast. Best AMD card I owned.

11. -:[CC]:-

-:[CC]:- New Member

GPU:
    1080TI@2,1/12ghz
    WTF from 999 to 1199 on one houre ? on the 2080TI what is going on ? thats just cheat, u cant tell one price and then up it 200 usd, FU nvidia, after all those years i quit, i keep my 1080ti and after that im done, no way i support that kind of priceing, if u sayed 1199 till start its ok, but not 999 and then up it to 1199. im out .

12. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Yeah, there is some confusion about that. I verified: Founders edition is 1199, AIB partner cards 999('ish). The table in the news item has been updated.

fantaskarsef and -:[CC]:- like this.
  13. DARKSF

DARKSF Member

The heck , who cares how fast Ferraris are ?
    At this prices it is just ridiculous , the only people that will buy RTX hardware in masses are the visuals proffesionals.
    While Ray Tracing makes game making much simpler process the final result for the user is not that much visually obvious because of the past 2 decades spend cheating the realtime with precooked stuff.
    There is a reason that the last brand new GPU i bought was GeForce 4200 Ti for a $150 15 years ago.Never gave more than this amount of money for a GPU in the past 15 years (the rest were all second hand).
    But now nVidia destroyed my hopes to move on from 280x to a 1070 for around 250$.First were the miners now are the corporate shitheads.I hope they will choke with this prices.

Same crap from the CPU market now repeats itself on the GPU market.2 major players are not enough to have a decent market stability the antitrust laws should be changed!!!!

carnivore likes this.
  14. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    I don't expect Nvidia would've limited themselves to a single UE4 demo if they had double performance to offer in most situations. I'll be waiting for reviews before final judgment but so far the RTX series isn't looking exciting.

15. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    I see the problem with Nvidias new line is that Pascal is still a very capable product. They would need a good price/performance incentive to nudge many owners to upgrade. If Turing cant provide that massive leap in performance (like Pascal vs Maxwell), then they need to revise its price structure.

Koniakki likes this.

16. Kaill

Kaill Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
    the cards on NewEgg the AIB 2080TIs are still priced around the $1199 ballpark some being even over that EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC ULTRA GAMING (https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487401)

17. Duke Nil

Duke Nil Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    So you can pay $200 for a 90MHz overclock, sweet deal lol

*Edit and that's only for the boost clock, so depending on thermals you might have 0 benefit or be even worse if the AIB cards have better coolers

18. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    If a RTX 2070 cant equal or come close to a 1080ti, why would I buy it when the 1080ti is currently available for $649?

19. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    RT magic? I have a hard time understanding it myself. When 7nm is right around the corner and RTX is vaporware right now it's a weird choice to make.

20. wavetrex

wavetrex Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080 AMP!
    You should ask yourself... why would you buy RTX 2080 for $800-900 when 1080 Ti is probably going to beat it as well in non ray-traced games?

Anyway *getting popcorn*, interesting show will follow once performance leaks start popping up.

alanm likes this.