NVIDIA #BeForTheGame - Watch the Gamescom 2018 Livestream

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 20, 2018.

1. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Why make claims that have no basis in fact.

Beyond RT performance, we have no clue how these perform.

Evildead666 likes this.
  2. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    You meant my post?

I'm just going by what Nvidia did with their last few generations, where x70 cards performed on par if not slightly above the previous generation's x80ti card

3. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
  4. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    I hear you, I just think that this price hike has to be justified by something more than RT.

As I said a few posts back, if that's all these are offering along with the standard ~30% performance increase, the price increase is not really justified imho.

5. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
  6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Seems like they are going to try to justify the price point via mostly marquee features like DLAA. Will probably be some performance bump - obviously with the more CUDA/Memory bandwidth.

7. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    nVidia's bootleg raytracing will be like everything else. Boy do they (successfully) depend on people to forget the passed quickly.

Hair effects, all that crap. Click the enabled check box and everything becomes a slide show or a broken drivers nightmare. 4 games will actually support it, as an after-thought console port, which most likely will also be broken.

I'll worry about ray tracing when it's actual ray tracing. Again, no new consoles means no real reason to upgrade from the 10-series.

I don't understand how anyone can expect PC gaming to become mainstream with these prices. That 2070 should be $299 to lure in more gamers to the platform. All of these cards are more than or equal to PS4 Pro/Xbox One X. Giving no one on the console side financial reason to make the jump over. PC's have enough stereotypes about fast upgrades. So high price tag with misconception in a year you will need another.

This seems like the FX-Series I remember. Focused on hollywood glitz and glam and doing their own thing away from everyone else. Mark my words, Ray tracing in one year's time will be a non-existent, botched effort, filed under everything else nvidia introduces:
    SLi
    3D Vision
    PhysX (that one really took off eh?)
    Fur effects, hair effects, AAO, etc.
    Soon: Ray Tracing.

No one keeps track, everyone runs out to buy lol.

Embra, Darren Hodgson and OnnA like this.
  8. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    What's worse that ALL these chips are harvests !
    Not even the 2080 is a full chip, it's missing 128 cuda cores (fused off) - (on the other hand, 1080 IS a full chip, with 1070 being the harvest)

Even the big expensive one, it's a harvested RTX 8000 ( 4352 cuda cores vs 4608 for Quadro )

They are selling you all these "defective" chips at these new insane prices.
    So low, really.

carnivore and Titan29 like this.
  9. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    The 1070 was ~14% faster than the 980Ti. Even if the 2070 would perform the same as the 1180Ti would be a leap backwards from Pascal.

10. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Erm, that was AMD TressFX

The rest of your post sounds like you'd rather be stuck in DX7 and 720p. Nvidia are trying something new, fair play to them. Sure, not all the tech becomes successful but some have definitely improved the graphics over the years. Tessellation and AO just to name a couple. RT could seriously make developers' work a lot easier but we all know it'll take a few generations of GPUs to become mainstream, if it even becomes mainstream.
    What? And what is a 1180ti? You're not making any sense.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018

11. vestibule

vestibule Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    Thoroughly enjoyed the presentation.
    Stonking technology you could not make it up.
    The new ,ray tracing, Tomb raider game sold the tech hook line and sinker. I'm sold. :)

12. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    Behold.. next generation of vacuum cleaners.

TDP are too big as always when some generation is failing..

13. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    Enjoyed the release bring on the reviews ……… my 1080ti is plenty for my needs at 4k as its not struggling in any game I play ……..RT looks like it will be good
    but I will wait for 2nd gen RT. The 2080ti at that price needs to outshine the 1080ti in every game buy a large margin without using RT.

I Hope AMD has been watching as they need to step up and bring us a GPU to compete to stop these crazy prices.

14. Vidik

Vidik Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming Z
  15. evildave-

evildave- Guest

GPU:
    gtx 770
    Prices are not cool by any merit.
    Raytracing definately no gimmick, to dedicate like 5-10% die space for gimmick would be crazy even in situation where there is almost no competition. And those tech demos from devs looked really nice (althought side-side comparisons nvidia shows was skewed).
    It will be incorporated in major game engines (unreal, unity), so i think PC market will adopt it just fine. Interesting thing is how PS5/XboxTwo will do things.

16. Paulo Narciso

Paulo Narciso Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    Just like I said, 980ti node production TSMC 28 nm, 1080 is 16nm, and now 2080 is 12nm. It's physically impossible for such jump in performance. Wait for 7nm cards for a true performance jump.

17. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
  18. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Also Frostbite

19. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Well 1000$/€ for a 2080ti, right. They can keep it.

cowie, chispy and lucidus like this.
  20. Petr V

Petr V Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx over 9000
    Good i dont need to waste my money for this.
    Stilo cant believe dat 2080ti