Nvidia anticipates that demand for GPUs will continue to outstrip supply far beyond 2022.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 20, 2021.

1. TheDigitalJedi

TheDigitalJedi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2X ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    Many of us may have seen this vid from Jay but for those who haven't it's an interesting look. New manufacturing facilities are coming in 2023. Looks like 2022 is going to be tight as well.

2. TheDigitalJedi

TheDigitalJedi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2X ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    This is very concerning. This shortage is hurting the Job market.

3. ChisChas

ChisChas Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090
    I had SLI 780's and they were fine for 5 of the 7 years, it was only the last two years that I noticed their fans were very noisy when playing newer games. So 5 years was ok and I was still able to play the latest games on 1440 (but not at the best IQ) and the noise of the fans was dealt with by using Sony MH-1000M3 noise-cancelling headphones.
    I bought a new gaming computer last November and I don't consider it was 'absurd' to make my last gaming computer last 7 years, it was a sensible way to avoid spending more than I wished to on PC gaming. I aim to replace my Strix 3080 OC (only) in about 3-4 years time but that might stretch to 5 years if 'absurd' prices are being charged for graphics cards at that time.

GoldenTiger likes this.
  4. ChisChas

ChisChas Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090
    I share your principle, that's one of the reasons I made my last gaming computer last 7 years. I paid £900 for my ASUS Strix 3080 OC because the graphics card was part of a high spec new gaming computer and most gaming computer builders prioritise supply to customers who buy a complete system. Well aware what's happening with prices from looking at many tech websites.

5. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    I found someone on ebay, a big online retailer here in uk selling new msi 1660ti cards for £300, they had ten of them couple days ago, now zero.
    I was planning on grabbing one in couple weeks so hoping some more will show up.

6. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I'm guessing you will find the exact same cards being sold by another online retailer but more expensive.

7. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Last two cards were from ebay, probably find something.:)

8. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    But why though. it's not Nvidia charging these over inflated prices. That's retailers and scalpers who are cashing in. For every GPU Nvidia doesn't produce, that's lost revenue.

9. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Nvidia is continuing to sell old inventory at inflated prices to keep newer cards even more expensive.... then there's AMD who has no old inventory other than new cards at double prices.

This is PC Case Gear.

For reference of starting price the 1050Ti is $379/$399

[​IMG]

DannyD likes this.
  10. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    It keeps interest in their products very high (its always a hot topic) and becomes a lot easier to put prices up next gen.
    They can do this because there probably isnt a rule/law being broken, and if there was, what can be proven?

I appreciate they are selling a lot to gamers, but something tells me this is probably happening because its easy and works.
    This cannot have passed NVidia by.

ps its not lost revenue if the silicon is used for something else.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2021

11. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    I had hopes things were getting better but i dunno what happened, perhaps bitcoin's bounce back after only a couple months? (etherium payouts are pretty high again too)
    After seeing all those old 1660ti cards getting scooped like they were msrp 3080s it's not a good sign to say the least.

12. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    PC Case is a retailer, they're not Nvidia. It's the same with any manufacturer. They set an RRP, but the retailer has the say on what price it will be.

13. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    But gaming is still their biggest revenue earner. At least that's what I have read. Are you implying they have the silicon, but not using it for GPU sales.

14. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Ohh I know what's going on, they are making an absolute killing with old inventory.

15. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Just checked ebay average £400+ for 1660ti new.
    What the hell?

16. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    What you ask has been written.

17. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
  18. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru