NVidia Anti-Aliasing Guide (updated)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyberdyne, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    So Lost Planet 3 is a DX9 Unreal Engine 3 game then? How hugely disappointing that the developers dropped Capcom's decent MT Framework engine. Sounds like a real downgrade from the DX11 tessellated Lost Planet 2 with support for up to 16QxCSAA, which might not have been a great game but at least had a decent DX11 benchmark. Although UE3 can look good (The Bureau: XCOM Declassified for example), for the most part games that use it have a bland generic look to them, offer lousy anti-aliasing support and little else in the way of in-game customisations. Lost Planet 3 got a really poor review from EG (4/10) so I think I'll skip this one until it's cheap in a Steam Sale.

2. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    It's not necessarily their fault( Look at all other Western Devleoped Capcom games like Bionic Commando, Rearmed,DmC,etc.)

Capcom couldn't bother to make English documentation for their Engine hence why no one else can take the time to learn it.

Also though: Lost Planet 2 on PC was disappointing, the volume level was obscenely low, weather effects were completely missing from the PC version that were present in the Console versions, and the DX11 motion blur had very ugly artifacts on the screen edges. The Compute water shader was silly looking and didn't look very realistic. And the tessellation was give or take.

(LP3 looks better than LP2 in almost every way and is only DX9)

Not to mention Lost Planet 2 was Forward Rendered. Lost Planet 3 is completely deferred.

If it had been made in Japan with MTFramework, the game would only have FXAA crap (Like Dragon's Dogma, RE6,Revelations etc) So infact we have BETTER AA options available to us THANKS to them using UE3 with Deferred because forcing proper AA in RE6 that is fully deferred is a pain in the ass plus performance is abysmal and you can't get proper AA quality thanks to the crappy low res DoF in that game.

Revelations though thankfully you can force AA in without much issue

also: Both Lost Planet 1 and 2 got poor reviews from Western Sources, only Famitsu has given all 3 games reviews that I agree with. And if I had listened to so called western "Professionals" I wouldn't have ended up playing LP1 or 2 and they wouldn't have become two of my favorite games of all time

If you are a fan of the series then there is absolutely no reason not to buy this game.
    Some mechanics are different due to the setting and time period of the game being so long before. But it's not a poor game by any means and so called "professionals" have bizarre skewed standards. Or they simply are reviewing it with the wrong point of view/mindset/not being paid off enough.

Also: Good news! I made a small rant on the Steam forum for the game about the low res 720p FMVs and Spark listened! And released High Res FMVs as a free DLC download! It's an extra 7GB but surely worth it!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  3. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Lost Planet 1 and 2 fell prey to the archetype over dramatized flat characters too often found in Eastern games.

Lost Planet 3 fell prey to the archetype boardroom focus tested game mechanics too often found in Western games.

Graphics is not a saving grace for these games IMO.

4. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti X Sli

5. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Obviously you must not be doing something right or something else is wrong. No one else has reported such issues with their testing.

I'd test myself but I dont' own the game and I doubt i'll be buying any time soon simply because I don't have the money.

And SGSSAA isn't perfect it won't get 100% of everything but it will get 90% of everything almost all of the time in most games.

I disagree on all counts.

But we aren't here to talk about why anyone likes any of them.

We are simply here to get working AA for games.

And LP3 needed it.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  6. sparrow1911

sparrow1911 Member Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 750 Ti 2GB
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles™: Out of the Shadows SGSSAA
    0x080000C1

7. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    AA flag for Castlevania: Lords of Shadows?

8. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 oc
    Do you know what game engine it is using?

9. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 oc
    Just tried 0x000D12C5 SGSSAA it seems to be working my gpu usage went up to 99% but the quality isn't that good.

10. sparrow1911

sparrow1911 Member Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 750 Ti 2GB
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2013

11. prodigalson1

prodigalson1 Active Member

GPU:
    3 x gtx titan
    any AA flag for rayman legends ?

12. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Yes I posted about Lords of shadow several weeks ago (Should be in OP by now as I posted about it here and over at 3DCenter)

, I can't help with other games unless there is a demo.

Also: Isn't rayman a 2d game?

13. jujuom26

jujuom26 Active Member

GPU:
    SLI GTX 670 GIGABYTE O/C
    0x004012C1 doesn't work good for me with Castlevania.
    Game looks blur and there are a lot of aliasing remaining.
    I use downsampling + fxaa + sweetfx
    If someone have another flag for this game that will be good.
    Thanks

14. lajgnd

lajgnd Member

GPU:
    Asus GeForce Titan
    i'll confirm that AA flag doesnt work with the retail version of lords of shadow.

it definitely hits the frame rate, but there's no visible anti aliasing going on.

15. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    It worked perfect with the demo. I doubt anything in the code changed.

Either it's a driver issue, or you didn't set up the profile for the game right in inspector. (Because you have to create one)

http://img.techpowerup.org/130829/nvidia_20130829_172646.png this is what it should look like. Simply replace the steamdemo...exe with the one that is running when you are playing the game.

ALSO: This game uses A TON of FMVs that are 720p only with no AA. (Such as the intro) No matter WHAT you do there will be a ton of scenes in the game that are going to be aliased to hell. (Most Story scenes)

And if you read my post you'd also learned that the game's Ambient Occlusion causes aliasing due to a slightly lower resolution buffer (which is clearly visible in one of the below SGSSAA shots)

No AA http://i5.minus.com/iu7rqpyafnYoa.png http://i1.minus.com/iNc3dfUvyBBZ6.png
    SGSSAA http://i6.minus.com/i4r7kYeNWa3Yf.png http://i7.minus.com/ibkgOy2J1494Ha.png (lighting is constantly changing within the game so it's hard to get 100% consistent shots)
    (There will almost ALWAYS be some degree of blurring with SGSSAA and any game due to how SGSSAA works and it doesn't always get 100% of everything but it get what matters most of the time. Temporal aliasing Which is just what it does in LoS. But you can always sharpen if you feel like it)

If you don't like how SGSSAA looks in this game, there is always OGSSAA and Downsampling+In game FXAA (Which I also showed as viable options in my post)

I asked David Cox if we could get DLC higher resolution/better quality FMVs with actual AA. He said it wasn't possible (Which i think is complete horse****) but that Lords of Shadow 2's cutscenes would be all in-game this time

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013

16. lajgnd

lajgnd Member

GPU:
    Asus GeForce Titan
    Well in the newest drivers, Castlevania comes with a profile already, I've been using that.

It doesn't really matter anyways I guess. I've been using downsampling from 4K and its actually running faster than it did when I enabled the SGSSAA anyways (despite not seeing a difference, it still affected performance)

it's pretty damn clean, even the foliage and AO effects are pretty crisp when downsampling from 4K to 1080p.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  17. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Yeah well IQ with downsampling vs SGSSAA is always going to be a bit better at the cost of temporal instability.

I'm on the driver just before the current one so they must have added it in 326.80

Like I said, Performance with downsampling was good and a viable alternative. So if that works then by all means. But just because you couldn't see a difference with SGSSAA =/= it doesn't exist because I can very clearly see it personally. So /shrug

But then again maybe there's something different in the retail game or the driver messes with something

18. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    What's the game like? I saw some gameplay footage late last night and it didn't look too bad at all. The £12 price tag makes it very tempting...

19. lajgnd

lajgnd Member

GPU:
    Asus GeForce Titan
    Oh no, I'm not saying there isn't a visually difference between downsampling and SGSSAA. You're exactly 100% correct with the temporal AA effects.

But when you use inspector and have incorrect bits, you can still get the performance hit without having the IQ benefit sometimes (if not all the time when using wrong compatibility bits). Which is what was happening to me with Castlevania.

Don't get me wrong, 100% of the time I prefer SGSSAA to downsampling via the driver method. But yeah, downsampling was a nice alternative to use since it didn't work in this game. If you get the retail or find the correct bits for this game PLEASE let me know :)

20. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    @ MrBonk - I get weird green flicking artifacts every five seconds or so but only in the video cutscenes of Castlevania: Lord of Shadows when using the 0x000012C0 or 0x004012C1 flags and 4xMSAA/4xSGSSAA. Is anyone else experiencing this glitch?