NVidia Anti-Aliasing Guide (updated)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyberdyne, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    You really went all out for that one, ok added.

2. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
  3. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Outstanding work on Castlevania, Mr. Bonk, although I'll admit that the darkness of the game meant that I never noticed any jaggies while playing the game at all, though they are very apparent in those lousy-quality FMV cutscenes!

I tried 0x084000C1 and 0x008000C1 with MX vs. ATV Reflex at 1920x1200 and unfortunately neither work. As such I've decided to continue using 0x004000C1 at 1920x1080 which works great with 4xMSAA + 4xSGSSAA. You might want to add that to your list, Cyberdyne.

0x004000C1 - MX vs. ATV Reflex - MSAA + SGSSAA, 16x9 resolutions only

Maybe someone can find an AA flag for that game which works with 16:10 resolutions like 1920x1200?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  4. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Does anyone know of an AA flag for the recently released The Raven - The Legacy of a Master Thief please as unlike the The Book of Unwritten Tales, from the same publisher, there is no in-game anti-aliasing option? Thanks.

5. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Does anyone have an AA flag for Might & Magic Heroes VI as well please?

6. Guzz

Guzz Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Nvidia does not have compatibility bits to force antialiasing on textures smaller than primary backbuffer.
    This game uses anamorphic screen changes, ie viewport will be reduced to 16:9 aspect ratio.
    For example, if you set the resolution 1680x1050, then backbuffer will be 1680x1050, but viewport is only 1680x945. Video driver assumes that they are equal, because of this antialiasing does not work.
    If game code will be changed so that backbuffer is equal to viewport, then AA will work at any resolution.
    [​IMG]
    0x004000C0 for OGSSAA

7. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    After Double checking, you are correct. There is nothing to support AA on textures smaller than the current BB

You may be able to get away with just using the 16:9 resolution equivalent on your monitor and using GPU scaling-aspect ratio to letter box it that way.

"Outstanding work on Castlevania, Mr. Bonk, although I'll admit that the darkness of the game meant that I never noticed any jaggies while playing the game at all, though they are very apparent in those lousy-quality FMV cutscenes!"

Yeah, I was supremely disappointed that the FMVs were so damn aliased. That's how they were on the consoles, and I guess their intention was to fool the viewer in to thinking they were rendered in-game maybe. And it worked the first time I played it on PS3 (Even though later I noticed all the compression artifacts late in game)

I can't help on the HOMMVI front, dont' have the game so I cannot test :/

8. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Thanks Guzz for the explanations and AA flag.

@ MrBonk - I can play MX vs. ATV Reflex at 1920x1080 and just imagine it's a slightly worse console port than it already is (though it's still a fun game for the price I paid for it)! :p

9. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    I wish there was a better solution for Final Fantasy XIV ARR.

This is literally.

ALIASING! THE GAME!

And the new benchmark/character creator confirms what I thought the AA they had was. FXAA. Which does nothing but make textures look awful.

I tweeted the English FFIXV twitter asking if they can ask Yoshida to implement better Anti Aliasing> I Doubt it will get through, but it doesnt' hurt. Maybe if more people asked.

They've got a super downsampled image on one of the pages of the website[​IMG]

Just look how smooth it looks D::wanker:

10. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti X Sli
    Any string for the new Rise of the Triad, the built in Anti Aliasing seems to be totally useless.

11. Terepin

Terepin Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S GAMING X
    FYI, Painkiller Hell and Damnation has built-in MSAA. So no need to use SGSAA.

12. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    SGSSAA is not only useful for forcing AA into aliased games, it also can look a lot better than MSAA (and perform a lot worse).

13. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    Blasphemer! Once you go SGSSAA, everything else looks like no AA :nerd:

I wish someone woud find a warZ/Infestation flag :(

Downsampling is not enough. adn smaa is causing crashes for me.

14. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Also, if a game has native MSAA support then you should be able to use Enhance to add the equivalent amount of SGSSAA, e.g. 4xMSAA ingame + 4xSGSSAA 'enhanced' in the game profile and so on.

15. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    It uses MLAA, that's why, IMO the absolute worst post-process anti-aliasing there is. Looks ugly and introduces a lot of sub-pixel artifacts when moving. Why on earth the developers implemented that and not FXAA or the best of a bad bunch, SMAA, is beyond me.

16. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti X Sli
    Thanks, but from the varous issues in the game suppose for them to use MLAA is not unexpected. Too many bugs, can even bind certain keys and being left handed, I have to edit ini file to get the keys I want. Amazing how this even passes QA, if there was any.

17. Thalyn

Thalyn Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 980 DCU2
    RotT uses UE (presumably UE3) as evidenced by the splash screens at start-up. 0x000010C1 and 0x080100C5 both seem to work with the former looking slightly better, but there could be a better performing option (8x shows a noticeable decrease on my 780 using either; worse with 10C1).

*ed: For SGSSAA, anyway.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  18. Terepin

Terepin Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S GAMING X
    Yes. And you can play slide shows with it as well.

19. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Welp, if you get your SLI working well in a game, you should be able to use SGSSAA in a lot of games Terepin. UT3 games shouldn't be a problem.

20. Terepin

Terepin Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S GAMING X
    It is. Every game with SGSAA is a problem. Hell, except DS3 every game has problem with even downsampling.