NVidia Anti-Aliasing Guide (updated)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyberdyne, Jan 29, 2012.

1. NeoEnigma

NeoEnigma Master Guru

GPU:
    ---
    Well, you've seen enough of my screenshots I'm sure. I have exclusively used 0x00411245 in Dead Space 2. However, this flag doesn't do as good of a job as 0x004030C0 at actual anti-aliasing. So edges will still have aliasing, as well as the white outline. However, I HAVE to alt-tab, so I can not use the other flag.

YOu can, however, use the "white-outline" flag in combination with the FXAA injector and you'll hardly notice it at all. Just add enough post shapening and your game will still look amazing. Alternatively, you can use nvidia FXAA, which doesn't do as good of a job, but you can still use SweetFX.

Sadly, this game is just a nightmare for trying to achieve perfect anti-aliasing.

2. ToyTen

ToyTen Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    Ok thank you BetA yes it works just fine, down from 60fps to 45 avg - 35fps sometimes.

AA is well there now thanks a lot, because i wouldn't have searched on a german forum. just don't understand it xD

:)

3. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    This is what i got from original thread

Dead Space 2 - 0x004030C0 (only with shadows on medium or lower)
    Dead Space 2 - 0x00411245 (works with higher quality shadows, but has lower AA quality)
    Dead Space 2 - SLI users: set 'Antialiasing - SLI AA' to 'AA_MODE_SELECTOR_SLIAA_ENABLED' (fix for lighting issues)

4. RecluSe

RecluSe Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 SC/ACX 2.0
    Anyone having problems when forcing MSAA with Dead Space? I'm getting strange stripes on certain surfaces.

5. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    thanks man

6. utilizer

utilizer Member

GPU:
    MSI 660GTX Twin Frozr OC
    Ok...false statement from my side here. Sorry.
    0x080100c5 flag works without issues at 4+4 SGSSAA or higher, but has "whitelines" as i described earlier only at 4+2 SGSSAA...

Any way, I am apologize for inconvenience that may occur with some of you guys those which checking my fallacy :) - my bad

PS. I am the owner of a new, upgraded CPU and The GTX660 from that moment! Hail to a quality gaming experience from now on! :)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  7. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    This driver sucks in performance! when vsync is on some games stuttered badly to the point of not playable anymore but when switch to adaptive its works good but still can feel lil bit of stutter revert back to whql gamers run smooth with vsync on the plus side on this driver is performance is up on some games like bf3, batman and etc also the image quality i notice is better than the latest whql ones well at least for my gtx 580's

8. NeoEnigma

NeoEnigma Master Guru

GPU:
    ---
    Anyone have any luck with the firefall beta? planetside 2?

9. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Are you serious? People complained that it was too soft, so they made it "Sharper" and GASP you know what happens with that? Aliasing doesn't get killed as effectively.

Another thing, That's a low quality JPG. So any aliasing is going to be further emphasized by compression. And what aliasing there is there left, looks like unresolved Shader and specular aliasing(or another conflict with something with the way the game is rendered). Something that the IW Engine is known for, so that's a problem on their end.

In fact, most of the aliasing I see either seems to be because of not TXAA (other than making it "Sharper")but something within the game itself. Reminds me of how Battlefield Bad Company 2 looks in Multiplayer if you Force MSAA with 0x004030C1 in DX9

Either way, it still looks way better than MSAA on it's own, and way better than something like SMAA or FXAA. Not to mention, in motion it probably looks great.

So before you start insulting it, let's see it in motion FIRST and if you are going to use stills. Use Lossless PNGs, JPGs are worthless and an utterly meaningless way to try and show that something doesn't look good.

10. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    That's fine if you don't like it. I'm more interested in why it's having issues with resolving some of the aliasing.

If I had the game I would do a comparison with TXAA, MSAA+downsampling or SGSSAA to see what destroys aliasing most effectively and how it looks in motion. Temporal aliasing has been a problem in most CoD games released since MW1. The only way to squash it normally is with SGSSAA, which can be costly.

Also: Same issue with the aliasing in BFBC2
    BFBC2 No AA
    https://i.minus.com/ibqSsR46JrQlYl.png
    BFBC2 8XQ
    https://i.minus.com/ibnTzhHG0QLYba.png
    Closer shot with MSAA
    https://i.minus.com/iWhBHQTnXE5HC.png

The same artifacts are created with DX11's MSAA as well and not just forced DX9.

So if TXAA has some issues with unresolved aliasing. It's likely that MSAA will have the same problem in BO2.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012

11. Wanny

Wanny Guest

TXAA is just another FXAA? Maybe you can try to sharpen through TXAA with SweetFX? Is there some LOD clamping you can do?

12. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 GAMING X
    I had some time messing around with TXAA in COD BO2.
    comparing 4xTXAA to 4xMSAA, TXAA does a better job fighting aliasing, particularly in motion, as it also handles transparency to some degree, without notable performances penalty. (I didn't benchmark thoroughly though).
    its downside is, as we all guessed, the softer image / blurring. however that can be compensated by using sharpening tools (e.g: SweetFX), as MrBonk suggested. maybe even lod adjustments...

adding 4xTrSSAA (to 4xMSAA) already provides better IQ than 4xTXAA alone, IMO, as 4xTrSSAA handles transparent textures better (these were major cause for aliasing to begin with), without blurring. BUT performances degrade !
    (btw, TXAA can also be enhanced with TrSSAA as it seems).

so IMO TXAA is a welcomed alternative to MSAA if you care for aliasing/jaggies/pixel crawling more than you do for sharpness,
    and even to MSAA + TrSSAA, as it helps with transparency without notable performance loss. (although in this regard it is worth comparing TXAA to MSAA+FXAA as well. I didn't check that)

I am not sure yet whether TXAA fights shader aliasing as well. (if so - that would be a big plus, as SGSSAA performance penalty can be a deal breaker).

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  13. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    TXAA can also be combined with SGSSAA apparently
    https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Hs53z9qWIjA/UKL28S9jiRI/AAAAAAAABJA/IU4vXvFo84Y/w0/codG.png
    Crop of BO2 with TXAA+4XSGSSAA ,stolen from NeoGaf.
    (Which obviously seems like overkill to me! But it may help with some of the resolving issues that TXAA seems to have a hard time with in this game. But so do other methods
    here's one downsampled from 2048x1152 (with MSAA I presume)
    https://i.minus.com/ibsBi3YEm0hz3Y.png
    Showing the usual issues with the IWEngine. Shimmering/specular,shader aliasing

I did see a 720p video of BOII with 4XTXAA and it looked fantastic other than the low quality of the video. No shimmering or anything that I could see. But the problem was that the video was downsampled from 1440p. So i'll be waiting until Nvidia puts the videos up on their site for it and for Eurogamer to do their face-off/analysis of all 3 versions out right now.

14. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Ugh. If you told me BO2 came out in 2005 I would believe you.

15. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix RTX2080 Ti OC
    heh no kidding, but it's fun nonetheless, especially zombies.

16. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Really now?
    https://i4.minus.com/i2qFUvtENdefU.png
    http://i2.minus.com:81/iUY1P8qePe5TG.png
    http://i5.minus.com:81/iW3jzuE83BtIS.png
    https://i1.minus.com/ibbxGw4O649rZV.png
    The game looks great, except for they really crapped out on the texturing side. Some textures look amazing. Others look like trash.
    That and the game does look poly starved. Aside from that though, I think it looks pretty damn good.

ALSO: According to Time Lottes, there is a bug with TXAA and AO in BO2 right now that causes it to be blurrier than it should.
    timothylottes(dot) blogspot (dot)com/2012/11/codbo2-4xtxaa4xsgssaa.html

17. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
  18. Iruwen

Iruwen Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW
    It looks like a five year old game. Not bad. Just old. Because it basically is old. Just recycled.

19. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix RTX2080 Ti OC
    Play BF3 max settings on a powerful setup, then you will see the light my friend. I bought Blops 2 thinking this could be pretty good and I'll give it a go, but BF3 sh*ts all over it, visuals and gameplay. Zombies is great but not worth the $$, maybe at $40.

20. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Just because it doesn't look as good as BF3 (Which I have played and I do play BFBC2 at 60FPS in MP all the time at max settings)
    doesn't mean it looks BAD. Or HORRIBLE.

Aside from the inconsistency BOII is by far the best looking game in the CoD series yet IMO.
    (There is beauty in simplicity)

Also: For those who were wondering why there were White Artifacts with MSAA or anything that uses MSAA like TXAA ,
    here's the response I got from Timothy Lottes when I asked him

If you look at Eurogamer's comparison in instances you can see that this white artifacting pretty much doesn't exist on consoles in the same spots as in the PC version.

So this isn't the AA method's fault. It's Treyarch for not rending MSAA and Alpha depth in a way that they can work correctly together.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012