NVidia Anti-Aliasing Guide (updated)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyberdyne, Jan 29, 2012.

1. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    jup, as i sayd....sgssaa is better, at least in these comparsions..

The Close up makes it even more visible..SGSSAA = totaly smooth lines and no aa in teh scene..

OGSSAA = some aa here and there, and not that smooth..

And for the BLUR, yes if u adjust the LOD bias to a more negative value it isnt blurred anymore..i also played ME 3 with sgssaa and let me tell you, it allmost looked like a movie or so..

-BetA-

2. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
  3. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    ok, heres mine...
    im using - 1.000 or - 1.250...looks sharper..

[​IMG]

somewhere i have also screens of it..but just moved the folder, lolo...gonna poist em when i find it.. First, dinner..

4. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Yeah 2X2 OGSSAA, Close cigar but no dice.

What gives you better performance though? I'd imagine if you got better performance with OGSSSAA, that the tradeoff may be worth it.
    Even more so if you added SMAA/FXAA into the mix. (Though i'm not sure of the level of aliasing in motion though. That depends on a title by title basis)

5. gogetas

gogetas New Member

GPU:
    gtx670 jetstream 2gb
    Hi, any sgssaa bit for iracing? Thanks

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  6. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    More often than not. OGSSAA +FXAA can lead to amazing results.
    At least in my experiences.

7. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I just looked at this a little more closely, the edges do look better with SGSSAA in this example. But look at that bottom concrete like texture, SGSSAA is much more blurred out than OGSSAA, the lines are much more dark.

8. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    I'll take slightly blurry /no aliasing any day over , slightly sharper/more aliasing.

Depending on the game though.

That's just me though. :nerd:

9. Iruwen

Iruwen Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW
    Same here. I notice any kind of aliasing instantly, blur isn't that bad. Screenshots aren't optimal for AA comparisons anyway, things tend to get much worse in motion, so it's even more important to have good AA, even when sacrificing some sharpness. Except for FXAA which is blurry and doesn't work good in motion, I'm always replacing it with the SMAA injector which works better in all aspects, in BF3 and GW2 for example (GW2s internal supersampling plus SMAA is probably the best you'll get atm, FXAA totally blurs, didn't try downsampling yet).

10. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Yeah it really does depend on the game at lot of times. And really, SMAA 1X and FXAA 3.11/10 both can't handle aliasing in motion very well alone(Not sure if correct term would be temporal aliasing or spatial aliasing).

Though, heavy downsampling with SMAA/FXAA can still help a lot depending on the game, and is better than no AA at all.

If only games supported SMAA T2X or other high end versions of it.

It's highly frustrating how little care and attention is given to implementing AA in modern games because of the move to deferred Rendering/lighting.

I hope when Resident Evil 6 comes out on PC it supports MSAA, though I don't have my hopes up considering MT Framework in the last year or two has moved to deferred .(And trades off MSAA for FXAA on the 360/PS3. Meh)

Personally, I think Dragon's Dogma is the worst looking game on the MT Framework.(The first MTF game to use Deferred)

11. DHP

DHP Member

GPU:
    GTX660Ti @ 1334/ 7000
    I can't get SGSAA to work in Alice Madness Returns and Deus Ex HR with my GTX660Ti.

Anyone else having this problem?

I dont wanna use FXAA or MLAA because that looks like crap.

I'm using the flags from the OP but it doesn't work.

Using 306.23 driver.

Edit; tried running deus ex from STEAM and from a created shortcut (assigned to Inspector) but I still get no AA with 0x004000C0 flag. :wanker:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  12. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Are you forcing DX9 in Deus Ex?

13. sparrow1911

sparrow1911 Member Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 750 Ti 2GB
    Someone can help with AA in MX vs ATV: Reflex? Ingame AA don't works, no bits for inspector...

14. vengeancerr1

vengeancerr1 New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 670 SC @ FTW 2GB SLI
    Ive been trying to find a good compromise of a level of aa and image quality with consistant fps above 60 during heavy fights but I have been unable to do so in Borderlands 2. Im currently using the Nvidia inspector flag 0x000000C1 with 4x sgssaa mode and SweetFX tool with lumasharpen only. Playing solo is fine 90% of the time, but playing with two other people in the game, the fps dips down to 30fps and sometimes below quite often. Is there anything I can do to improve the fps in the game, other modes of aa levels thats equal to sgssaa? I tried a 2x mode but it didnt seem to work. Only other thing I can think of to do is reduce game settings but that just further effects image quality. Im using max settings aside from fov at 90 and view distance at High, AO is off and DOF is off, FXAA in game is off, running at 1920x1080 res with vsync on.

Here is a comparison of 4x sgssaa and SweetFX SMAA.

SMAA: http://imageshack.us/a/img27/5969/screenshot13186.jpg

4x SGSSAA:http://imageshack.us/a/img10/6534/screenshot11284.jpg

Those were taken with the outline shader in the game turned off. I was using the wrong or for me at least, line code in the game file to turn the outlines off so the colors appear bright and washed out in areas in those screenshots, I have since corrected it in game. I tried it for awhile but the fps drops still occur. Im beginning to think the drops are due to Physx being on high and its just not optimized enough for the game since ive read it uses an older version anyway.

15. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Why not try,

8XQ/4X MSAA+ 4XTrSSAA+SMAA/FXAA ?

It may be worthwhile if 60FPS is a must if the above doesn't provide good results, that you just use PhysX at Medium. It's been shown to dramatically impact framerates. (Which is hilarious that it can bring even the 6XX down dramatically.)

Draw Distance also affects framerates

You could also try playing with lower FOV.

Issues in Online mulitplayer could be because of lag or?

16. vengeancerr1

vengeancerr1 New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 670 SC @ FTW 2GB SLI

Ive tried all kinds of combinations but only 4x msaa with 4x sgssaa with a few specific flag codes seems to work in Borderlands 2 in Inspector. Maybe someone can confirm whether other combinations work?

I did happen to find something that improved the way the fence textures look with SMAA enabled only. I dont know if I turned one off by accident or what but when I enabled AA Gamma correction and Line gamma it improved the AA quality. At a good distance in the game the chain links in the fences were not visible at all, now they are. Although not the same quality as 4x sgssaa, its good enough for now. I think I should be able to run physx on high with 2-3 people in game now and see much less dips below 50-60 fps but more playing and testing will have to be done to know for sure.

Edit: Nevermind about the Gamma correction, turns out it was just disabling the AA Transparency MS option.

17. DHP

DHP Member

GPU:
    GTX660Ti @ 1334/ 7000
    Do I have to play Deus Ex DX9 in order to get AA to work?

Edit; doesnt setting compatiblity flag @ DX1x work?

Edit2: got it working under DX9, but game runs smoother in DX11.

Thanks anyway. :)

18. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I'm surprised how well SGSSAA actually works in Skyrim, 4xSGSSAA is totally playable and looks awesome. It just so much better in motion and does wonders to shader aliasing and vegetation.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

19. Dcrawler

Dcrawler Member Guru

GPU:
    Evga 680sli Hydro(s)
    Some help with Battle For Middle Earth 2 plz?

20. aufkrawall

aufkrawall Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 OC 2-Way SLI
    Yup, and trees look horrible without SSAA, like if someone put glue on them.