NVidia Anti-Aliasing Guide (updated)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyberdyne, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Markie

Markie Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 950 2Gb
    I just wanted to say, the Dead Space flag absolutely sucks. It misses a lot of edges and looks blurrier than both native and downsampling. Even 2.25x downsampling + FXAA seems to look cleaner and sharper than 4x SGSSAA.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2022
  2. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    It's not the best at native resolution from what I recall, but it still handles a lot of aliasing better than just Downsampling on it's own as DS has quite a bit of shader aliasing. (And the only real downside I could see was in one or two specific areas there is a slight white outline glitch. But it only happens once or twice)
    This might be a placebo too but when I played DS last year (Which I played on my W7 drive)and then set up 4xSGSSAA for my brother's Windows 10 PC after the fact, I could've sworn that the end result looked different between the OSs and that for whatever reason 4xSGSSAA in Windows 10 looked way worse.
    I might try to actually test that again sometime soon because it's been in the back of my mind for a while.

I digress though, you should downsample + 4xSGSSAA if you have the headroom as this is the best performance to IQ ratio you can get.
    And for what it's worth here's some screenshots from my playthrough at 1620p with 4xSGSSAA & HBAO+ with Bloom and Light Shafts(I think that's the setting? Because they both look terrible, are aliased and add banding to the image) disabled. I used Reshade but these are the screenshots without Reshade enabled. If downsampling looks best to you though, there's nothing wrong with using that. I had to use downsampling + PPAA for Dead Space 2 when I played it as you can't force AA without unacceptable issues. Dead Space 3 works fine though and looks great with forced AA+downsampling.
    https://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/DeadSpace20210331000.jpg
    https://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/ff8DeadSpace20210331000.jpg
    https://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/DeadSpace20210403032.jpg
    https://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/DeadSpace20210404021.jpg
    https://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/f50DeadSpace20210404190.jpg
    https://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/c07DeadSpace20210404190.jpg
    https://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/7e4DeadSpace20210405023.jpg

3. Markie

Markie Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 950 2Gb
    Here SGSSAA in Dead Space is clearly subpar. I may download the game and take a few shots comparing no AA, SGSSAA and downsampling, so you can see what I mean. Could it be because I don't have a true 16:9 resolution (768p)? 1366x768 is an approximation. HBAO+ injection for example doesn't work in The Witcher 2 in non 16:9 resolutions, so I'm wondering if SGSSAA could be less effective or break in a similar fashion too.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2022
  4. pedigrew

pedigrew Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980TI Lightning

5. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    It is possible what is more likely is how SGSSAA interacts with the game's rendering process at any given resolution. Looking back at my 1620p screenshots I can clearly see that it does look a lot better than I remember SGSSAA looking like when I tested at lower resolutions. Also like I mentioned, a lot of the PP settings in DS are pretty poor quality and can negatively affect image quality too. (Especially when using SGSSAA). That doesn't mean you should do what I did though and use Reshade instead as you will incur a huge additional performance penalty for using Reshade with SGSSAA enabled.

If you want to try getting a closer 16:9 AR as well, I suggest you try creating a custom 1360x765 resolution and set scaling to 1:1 in NVCP as that is a *perfect 16:9 AR that games will like that have issues with 768p. See if that looks any better.
    Are you using 4xSGSSAA? I do think I remember 8xSGSSAA looking a lot better than 4x at lower resolutions with Dead Space.
    Alternatively you can try a custom resolution of 2048x1152 and use that to downsample with to 768p. (Another perfect 16:9 resolution, rather than 2049x1152 if you use 2.25x DSR)

With modern day games using TAA or DLSS it's absolutely 100% true that the lower resolution input you feed them the worse they do.

____
    I also finally tested out DLDSR yesterday and was pretty disappointed. For one that it's only available for 1.5x1.5 ratios (Why?) and 2 while it does get very sharp it does still need additional AA in game to produce the best effects. 2.25x DLDSR + SGSSAA frankly looked outstanding with the few games I tried. By itself DLDSR really didn't do much to anti alias the image any better than regular DSR. Even at something as basic as geometry aliasing. Did it look comparable to regular 4x Downsampling? Debatable I think.
    I also finally checked out the new NIS scaling. At 0% sharpening it looked reasonably good considering what it was doing. It looked particularly good with 2D assets when upscaling and helped smooth out some of the aliasing present in low res assets. With SGSSAA enabled and using NIS, I think it looked as good as you could hope for spatial upscaling without turning it into a soupy mess like FSR , DLSS at low resolutions and snake oil like the Mcable.

....I finally got selected in a Newegg shuffle and am quite ashamed to say I spent 1500$ on a Gigabyte 3080 Ti, it's ugly and not my first choice but chances are that'll be the closet to MSRP i'll ever see.
    I'll have to remember to do some benchmarks comparing SGSSAA performance at several resolutions. I remember the jump from the 980 to the 2080 being not quite the same kind of scaling in performance gains as in regular 1x sampled rasterized rendering.

6. Markie

Markie Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 950 2Gb
    That would be exclusively with this game then, because I have used SGSSAA in many different games and it's always extremely effective, but in DS some edges are missed so bad it gives me the impression that it just isn't working properly.
    Here I pretty much always do the same:
    -SGSSAA? Use SweetFX 1.5
    -Chaining wrappers (DXVK, ENB, Helix Mod, etc.)? Use SweetFX 1.5u
    -Anything else, use Reshade
    No compatibility issues, crashes or hang ups doing things this way so far.
    I've been wondering that, the closest resolution to 768p that is true 16:9, thank you. I remember reading a list of true 16:9 resolutions, it seems like I missed that one somehow then.
    I didn't know about 2048x1152 either. 2049 is 1.5x 1366 so I didn't even consider 2048 being part of a real 16:9 resolution... Thanks again.

7. Markie

Markie Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 950 2Gb
    I did a comparison. AA, DOF and Motion Blur turned off in-game, no SweetFX or Reshade to interfere, all shots taken with Print Screen so that FXAA is captured, SGSSAA is with AA fix applied properly.

Native (1366x768)
    [​IMG]

4x SGSSAA
    [​IMG]

4x downsampling (custom resolution) + NVCP FXAA
    [​IMG]

Look at the vertical metal bar that's on Isaac's left, then the metal armor pieces near his waist on the right side, and also the glowing rectangular billboards in front of him. There is quite a bit more aliasing with SGSSAA than with downsampling + FXAA, even though downsampling + FXAA looks much sharper overral (not just the edges but any surface and textures, basically the entire image). SGSSAA also looks really unstable in motion, any high contrast edges especially those with the white color on one side flicker very noticeably. It's not even comparable, SGSSAA looks a lot worse. Usually it's the ultimate form of AA and I've had excellent results in plenty of games, but in this particular game it's just really bad here.

KainXVIII likes this.
  8. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Can confirm after downloading that 4xSGSSAA does not look good at lower resolutions. (1080p and up all look fine.) Using the AA fix does help out with some issues but resolve is pretty rough. 8xSGSSAA however looks fine for the most part. There are a few minor issues.(Turn off the "Blur" setting for example as it breaks motion blur/DoF in cutscenes) But it looks way better than 4xSGSSAA at 768p.
    Tried at both 720p and 768p.
    I've added a note to the spreadsheet about this (And the Blur option as I forgot to add that last year)
    Comparison and a few screenshots.
    https://www.screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/21386
    https://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/DeadSpace20220207231.png
    https://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/71bDeadSpace20220207231.png
    https://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/aa1DeadSpace20220207231.png (Highlights a minor issue on the thin lines. Pretty poor resolve and slight white outline. This happens even at high resolutions, but this is like 1 of 2 places in the entire game it happens)
    https://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/9d7DeadSpace20220207231.png

So if Downsampling looks best in your use case, then yeah that's your best bet.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2022
    poslemrak, Markie and KainXVIII like this.
  9. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    And the steaming disappointment turd of the week award goes to PSO2. DLSS and FSR look like hot garbage in this game. FSR is what FSR is, it wouldn't necessarily be too bad if it wasn't reliant on whatever AA the game has and anything less than Auto FSR+Auto Resolution in game. Which strangely changes the behavior of both FSR and DLSS, causing it to render at native for FSR and looking a lot better aside from the obscene sharpening. Similar story with DLSS but DLSS is most disappointing of all, I would even go so far as to call it a joke. There is no temporal coherency, it has all kinds of crazy artifacts, ghosting and smearing.(The smearing is most shocking, even just basic idle animations cause smearing) I might have to try and swap dlls to see if one doesn't look so terrible.
    Even when downsampling you can still see many of the issues.

It's bewildering a game can have so many Anti Aliasing options and all of them, every single one is completely terrible.
    God I wish they didn't rip out the DX9 render path.

10. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Saw that Dear Esther Landmark Edition was free. Decided to take a look because I was going to compare it to the original. (Turns out I lost my serial from wherever I bought it way back in the day and it seems to use Securom or something. So I couldn't do that after all)

This game has MSAA built in, so you can enhance it. But it's very blurry and has a few minor glitches.
    Turns out you can force the game into DX9 (Along with FSE) using <code>-window-mode exclusive -force-d3d9</code>

0x004000C1 - Standard Unity Flag works for SGSSAA
    No AA (Dx11 default) https://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/NoAADX11.png
    DX9 8xSGSSAA + AA fix https://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/DX98xSGAAfix.png

KainXVIII likes this.

11. Markie

Markie Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 950 2Gb
    Hey @MrBonk, has Cold Fear ever been tested for SGSSAA flags?

12. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    I've never tested it but you can try the standard flag 0x000000C1 for SGSSAA and 0x00000043 for MSAA

13. Markie

Markie Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 950 2Gb
    Alright, thanks.

EDIT: Tested it.

Cold Fear - 0x000000C1

No AA
    [​IMG]

8x SGSSAA
    [​IMG]

The game is mostly set in dark areas so there isn't much visible aliasing to begin with, even with no AA. NVCP FXAA can already do a decent job. However, the standard flag works completely fine and even 8x SGSSAA can be extremely cheap to use, giving almost perfectly clean IQ.

EDIT 2: Why is there no Max Payne flag in the spreadsheet? Anyway:

Max Payne - 0x000000C1 with crosire's d3d8to9 wrapper

No AA
    [​IMG]

8x SGSSAA
    [​IMG]

Also works really well with Max Payne Remastered (high resolution upscaled textures pack) and texture sharpness set to the maximum amount, which causes aliasing/shimmering without good AA due to the apparently increased negative LOD bias or lack of mipmapping (not sure).

Last edited: Mar 14, 2022
    MrBonk likes this.
  14. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Thank you for checking those. (I do own MP but haven't played any of them in years so I haven't tested them. If it's a DX8 game to begin with, more than likely AA will work without needing a flag as I will add them to the spreadsheet soon.

15. Markie

Markie Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 950 2Gb
    I know Max Payne is a DX8 title and should work without any flags, that's why I mentioned this is with crosire's d3d8to9 wrapper, which increases stability and compatibility with modern systems and allows for Reshade etc. Most people playing the game nowadays will be using it either standalone or because it already comes with popular fix packs for the game. Not much point in leaving the game with DX8.

EDIT: Also decided to test Wolfenstein: TOB since it's not on the spreadsheet (TNO isn't either).

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood (+ The New Order) - No flag required (OpenGL)

No AA
    [​IMG]

4x SGSSAA
    [​IMG]

SGSSAA in these games is miraculous, they have some of the most horrendous aliasing and shimmering I've ever seen and no combination of MSAA, FXAA and SMAA could clean it well enough. The only other decent option is downsampling combined with FXAA but even that may not be enough. To get SGSSAA to work properly, the setup is quite peculiar -- in-game MSAA has to be enabled (with the same amount set in Nvidia Inspector) and Nvidia Inspector must be set like this:

[​IMG]

Setting "AA - Mode" to "Enhance the application setting" does not work and even breaks the in-game MSAA, setting "AA - Setting" to "Application-controlled / Off" seems to apply SSAA (looks and performs similar to SGSSAA but sharper and slightly more aliased, which is not ideal) and "AA - Transparency Supersampling" has to set to "Supersampling" instead of "Sparse Grid Supersampling" as that stands for SGSSAA in OpenGL as you may know already.

Wolfenstein: The New Order should work the exact same as it also uses the id Tech 5 engine and OpenGL, it's just a slightly older iteration of the engine, but it has no MSAA support in its menus so you have to use the r_multisamples 4 command instead, either through the in-game console or (preferably) through id5 tweaker.

EDIT 2: I have tested Worms Ultimate Mayhem, which is a different game from Worms 4: Mayhem!.

Worms Ultimate Mayhem - No flag required (OpenGL)

No AA
    [​IMG]

4x SGSSAA
    [​IMG]

Much like it's predecessor, it uses OpenGL and can have AA forced without any flags. It requires the same method as describe above for the Wolfenstein games: Enable the game's own MSAA setting (in the launcher), and then set it up like this in Nvidia Inspector (with the same level of in-game MSAA):

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, SGSSAA has issues in this game. It is not applied over the character that's currently the focus of the camera (player-controlled or AI) or geometry that's behind effects such as explosions (which are 2D textures) either, so it's still quite easy to spot aliasing. Increasing the level of AA does not mitigate the issue. Because of that, downsampling combined with FXAA gave me far better results and I'd advise doing it instead.

EDIT 3: It seems that the flag for Dark Void doesn't work in the third level of chapter 3 (The Revolt) in particular. There is some sort of "picture in picture" effect in the initial cutscene and also in a big screen on the starting area of that level, it might be related to that. Loading that level also breaks SGSSAA in all other levels until you re-enter full screen mode with Alt+Enter. I think you should add that to the spreadsheet @MrBonk

Last edited: Mar 22, 2022
    poslemrak likes this.

16. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Hey thanks for testing. I appreciate it. I have updated the list with your info.

For Dark Void, I wonder if changing it to 0x080000C1 might affect that particular level. I don't have a save for that level, else i'd download and re test it.

I'll add your info until tested otherwise.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2022
    Markie likes this.
  17. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    As for some new additions of my own.

Might and Magic X - Legacy

0x004000C1
    - MSAA (Lower quality but works with HSAA), SGSSAA, OGSSAA, HSAA(If using SGSSAA only 16xS+4xSG or higher recommended) AA fix required to fix specular issues. Sharpening needed to overcome undefeatable blur. Old SweetFX 1.4 injector recommended to reduce performance impact. Game is pretty unoptimized for how it looks on Unity.
    0x00400043 - MSAA, TrSSAA - Has some issues with some minor white outlines on certain objects. Can be combined with any in game AA setting to try and improve a little.

Turn off all Object Outlines in the menus as this effect is fixed at a super low resolution and ends of being distracting.

No AA - 1
    8xMSAA - 1
    8xMSAA with C1 flag - 1
    8xTrSSAA 41 - 1
    8xS+2xTrSSAA C1 - 1
    8xSGSSAA - 1
    8xSGSSAA + negative LoD + Sharpening - 1
    2x2 OGSSAA - 1
    2x2 + FXAA2 - 1
    2x2 + SSAA(In game PP) - 1
    4x4 - 1
    16xS - 1
    16xS+4xSGSSAA - 1
    16xS + SSAA - 1

Recommended LumaSharp settings for 8xSG (Used above)
    For 4xSGSSAA

After having tested dozens of options. I still feel SGSSAA+Sharpening looks best. But others are definitely not bad at all considering the performance of the game. A reminder these numbers are with a 3080 Ti (Albeit PCIE-3.0 limited)

Shadowgrounds and Survivor

No bits needed - SGSSAA
    I'm sure MSAA works too but with such performance I didn't bother to check.

No AA https://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/Shadowgrounds2022032.png
    8xSGSSAA https://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/941Shadowgrounds2022032.png

KainXVIII likes this.
  18. Markie

Markie Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 950 2Gb
    The instructions for the two Wolfenstein games in the spreadsheet are a bit vague, you've added part of my comment but didn't make it clear it's necessary to use "override" instead of "enhance" anywhere, I think you should add that.

I saw that Worms 4: Mayhem has HSAA support listed, so I decided to test it in Worms Ultimate Mayhem and it also works in it. You can add that as well. It has the same issues SGSSAA does though, downsampling + FXAA still looks better and works flawlessly.

0x080000C1 does fix the issue in Dark Void! Tested it in a normal level and then that particular level. You can replace the flag in the spreadsheet.

19. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Ok, I will clarify those entries. Thanks again!

Markie likes this.
  20. Klemc

Klemc Active Member

GPU:
    1660S PNY SingleFan
    Hello there ;)

i'm not aware of the difference about :

Supersampling = 2x1 > 1x2

Choices exists, but what means inverted numbers (2x2 killed framerate) ?

-

Thanks, i was trying it for an UDK3 game (with bit applied) for wich 8xQ looks OKay !!

Old City Leviathan

Will SGSSAA work on top of MSAA 8xQ ? Something else ?