NVidia Anti-Aliasing Guide (updated)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyberdyne, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Tizoc

Tizoc Active Member

GPU:
    GTX970M
    Thanks for testing mate.
    Hopefully they can get the (MS)AA fixed soon.

2. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Yeah, it should be set up in a linked state based on the number of sub samples to match. (Because it uses those to increase pixel shading n number of times based on number of samples)
    You could try MSAA by itself, but for UE3 games usually you need to use 0x08000043 to use MSAA. The flags that will work with SGSSAA/OGSSAA have a setting enabled that prevents MSAA from working on it's own.

If you want to use SGSSAA it should be set up with
    *2xMultisampling
    *2xSparse Grid Super Sampling
    in Profile Inspector.
    You should only use 2xMSAA,4xMSAA and 8xQ(Real 8xMSAA) don't use anything but those 3 settings and their corresponding SGSSAA mode. (Or TrSSAA mode depending on the game)
    You may need to optionally enable the AA fix to counter any number of issues or use a negative texture LOD bias to make the image sharper if you don't like the look.

If you want to try OGSSAA you just need to set the one
    *YxY Supersampling
    option like 1x2 Super Sampling (2x2,et al)
    UE3 games that work with this tend to look sharper but have more aliasing issues present(Due to a number of reasons, automatic mipmap adjustment,poor resolve,etc). But if you prefer a sharper image those may look better to you.

If you are trying it all out, and aren't sure if it's working correctly, try to get an exact A/B screenshot comparison (100% Jpeg or PNG. Compression will make it harder to tell in screenshots) between settings and post them here so we can see.

OnnA likes this.
  3. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti VISION OC
  4. Gonzo32

Gonzo32 Member

GPU:
    Rtx2080ti
    Hi, is anyone here playing Far Cry 6? I think TAA in this game is broken because I see so much aliasing everywhere even at 4k. I dont remember FC5 having so many jaggies everywhere and I am really frustrated

5. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    They just might have changed it in some ways that regressed the quality, or it could be due to some lighting model changes for materials (IE: Harsh, highly reflective specular lighting for example). Ray tracing can also greatly how well TAA works as well as i've seen in numerous examples.
    Unless you have the horse power to downsample (Or want to target 30FPS), you are likely stuck.
    If you have an alternative lower resolution monitor (1080,1200,1440 or whatever) handy at all (or even a 1080p TV) you could still play at 4k downsampled and that could potentially hide the things you are noticing in a significant way.
    Sadly you are at the whim of the developer and AA lately seems to have stagnated aside from Nvidia's new native res DLSS mode. Adding in RT is just making the image quality problem worse sadly and adds in new distracting undersampling problems. (Look at Q2RTX or Metro, or any RT Demo running on UE4)

It's too bad Nvidia hasn't ever put in anything in the driver to try and inject AA in newer back ends than DX9. In my ideal world, Nvidia would add in AA functionality to Vulkan and people could wrap everything to Vulkan with DXVK (thus open the ability to play games with better AA across the widest range of OS and hardware) and then be able to force in AA. But logistically that's probably impossible.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
  6. Klemc

Klemc Member

GPU:
    1660S PNY SingleFan
  7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    16x is implemented as a hybrid super sampling and multisampling method, and is only available to opengl titles.

16xS [Combined: 2x2 SS + 4x MS]

8. Klemc

Klemc Member

GPU:
    1660S PNY SingleFan
    OKay, i thinked about same bug in POP (2008) for NVidia cards reporting 16x but not available in fact.

AA (PCGWiki)
    There can be a glitch with Nvidia GeForce 10xx GPUs that causes a 16x option to show in this menu. Selecting it will cause the game to crash on launch.

9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Ah, 2008?

it may be 16xCSAA, but you were supposed to be required to display it as 16x CSAA, not just "16x" on its own
    D3D doesn't support a pure 16x MSAA format until D3D11.2+

upload_2021-10-13_5-35-40.png

When you query opengl for msaa levels you can get 16x returned thanks to the 16xS format, but only if you don't programatically cap the msaa level.

16x in Doom 3 is the hybrid SSAA+MSAA form, and it works on nvidia but not on amd for obvious reasons.

If you try to set a CSAA mode on pascal you either get a game crash, or no msaa set, the hardware discontinued support for it.

Klemc likes this.
  10. Klemc

Klemc Member

GPU:
    1660S PNY SingleFan
    OKay,

finally the AMD APU renders really better AA but gamma is verry bad, often game is too dark...

... for Nvidia PC adding FXAA in NVP (SGSSAA 8x enhance, 2x ingame) gives good result, SO.

Should i change SGSS to SS only transparency setting ? And do MS transparency instead could be better (than SG) for this 2008's game ?

CSAA don't do nothing for this game, or because of the 1660S beeing a post-Pascal card. Not sure if the Nvidia 16x ingame is a bug or what's explained just above !!

PS : i only force FXAA AF 16x and use ingame 16x MSAA, good. Nothing can work to enhance the game !!

PSII : gamma fixed by changing shadows setting to BLOB or deactivate, but the shadow cards (1/4/16 samples) breaks gamma, AMD APU !!

FIXED :

ReShade (454, i won't try another), with FXAA+SMAA does it right, game's detectes as OGL !!!

Thanks.... Nvidia PC only makes shadows work !

SMAA has three detect settings, i should try those, if anybody has an idea.......

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021

11. Gonzo32

Gonzo32 Member

GPU:
    Rtx2080ti
    Hi, Is there any way to force AA to GTA4? I am replaying the game and the aliasing is awful

12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    post processing or dsr only.

13. Klemc

Klemc Member

GPU:
    1660S PNY SingleFan
    Well, finally, the best way is to add FXAA only from driver, or even add again FXAA (strong) with reshade (+AdaptSharp). OpenGL !!

-

So, i see MFAA, but it's for DX10/11, what kind of games are good working with that AA (Maxwell MFAA). Is that for replacing CSAA ?!

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    no, its only really for gpu-heavy games that get a high framerate, at low framerates it muddies the image and in cpu limited situations makes framerates worse.

15. Klemc

Klemc Member

GPU:
    1660S PNY SingleFan
    Yep, how do we know if a game is GPU or CPU "heavy" ?

By example, Deux Ex Human Revolution played well on a i5 laptop HD 620 iGPU, i finished it, no lag !!!!
    So, '"The Novelist" only playable without AA (it's not the same level of graphics)...
    12GO RAM i must add.