NVidia Anti-Aliasing Guide (updated)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyberdyne, Jan 29, 2012.

1. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    I've not played with SMAA much in Reshade but the little I have the settings don't seem to make a huge impact. It's set up by default to get the best it pretty much can, which for SMAA is really good detection of high contrast geometry edges.
    The best you are going to get is MSAA like results on geometry edges without the benefits of sub samples helping resolve subpixel information on everything.

Gonzo32 likes this.
  2. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Oh my god the engine update for base PSO2 is worse than I could've expected. The TAA quality is so bad, it adds this weird sort of warping effect on surfaces as they get closer and further away from the camera. I can't unsee it. And all the TAA does is make the image softer without actually fixing any of the temporal aliasing present.
    TAA+FXAA is , as expected laughably blurry. (Way more so than RE Engine).
    Downsampling is harder to do now because there is no exclusive fullscreen mode and you have to set your downsampling resolution as your desktop res now. Ugh.
    I feel like I shouldn't be so disappointed considering how many screenshots I have of PSO2 with 8xSGSSAA to have nice memories of and i've played 500 hours.
    But it's disheartening to think i'll never get to experience the game looking so nice ever again lol. It's all a memory now hahahhahaha.....frack

Don't get me started on NGS, visually it is a mess on so many levels and the aliasing and dithering are out of this world. I actually found where the Specular AA makes a visual difference...not much though. Also, at one point during a story sequence I saw the game hit 80% GPU usage on my 2080. At 1080p and this is with a bunch of settings disabled or turned down and no AA on at all. hahahaha.....:(

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    KainXVIII likes this.
  3. KainXVIII

KainXVIII Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    For some weird reason NINJA GAIDEN 3: Razor's Edge from Master Collection is the only game that uses DX9 (other two games use DX11) - so SGSSAA is possible i guess, anybody already have this game and tried to force AA?

4. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Lolwut? Typical Tecmo Koei incompetent nonsense...seriously no consistency with those people. Who the hell runs crap like they do? So out of touch. Unless of course it's a AAA mainstream game like Nioh. Even then, arbitrary resolutions? Anti Aliasing? Non gimped ports that don't neuter aspects from the console versions? What's that?

Try the usual flags.
    0x000000C1
    0x00000041
    0x000010C1
    0x080000C1
    0x004000C1
    etc.

Another unfun thing I discovered about this "Upgrade" for PSO2 is that now shadow draw distances are completely borked and worse. Shadow LODs now switch literally less than 10 feet from your character. And if you zoom the camera in, then it switches to like 4 feet away!
    https://www.screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/14903

Water reflections are completely broken now. With no bodies of water actually having any relfections at all. (Sorry if I already mentioned this. You can see how sad I am about this)

Even worse, attempting to downsample from 4k with TAA+FXAA does not help as much as I hoped. Worse still! The performance required to play at 4k now is almost on par as it took to play with 8xSGSSAA at 1080p. An 8 year old game, now using between 40-70% of the GPU to play at 4k60. :O https://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/14902 (Don't be fooled by spatial quality of the still images. Unfortunately in motion it looks much worse. I luckily recorded some 8xSGSSAA footage for comparisons before it was too late.)

I did send a ticket to Sega's team on PSO2.com showing off some of these broken features and asking if they can forward to the dev team to request they implement DLSS and FSR. Considering how bad NGS performs at 4k even on a 2080. This would be a huge benefit and could potentially solve the AA problem in both games. (Easier for them to do instead of rolling back the client for an optional DX9 only mode for base game)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
    KainXVIII likes this.

5. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Looks like the new (Rather lackluster) ports of No More Heroes and NMH2 both have MSAA.
    Which is great because this is a DX11 game. So you can easily enhance it. Now if only they would patch these ports a bit. Also, it'd be nice to get a logical explanation as to why a port of a Wii game with no visual upgrades other than resolution requires so much performance from the GPU. Is it bad optimization? Or what?
    https://www.screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/14973

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    KainXVIII likes this.
  6. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    So you CAN force SGSSAA in NInja Gaiden 3.
    0x004000C1
    https://www.screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/15162/

Shame the other 2 aren't DX9.
    There are some minor glitches in cutscenes with light shafts (They have these weird horizontal lines in them) but they aren't distracting all that much. And I didn't care to try and find a solution before refunding the game.
    Also too bad they can't figure out arbitrary resolution support, as this port seems like it would perform fine at even absurd resolutions like 8k. It seemed to barely use the GPU without AA at 4k.

KainXVIII likes this.
  7. Klemc

Klemc Master Guru

GPU:
    4070-ti ARGB - PNY
    Hello,

if by exemple i read (Silent Hill: Homecoming)...

MSAA+TrSSAA
    0x20000301

MSAA+SGSSAA
    0x200012C1

that indicates i can't use the three with one flag, but, what should give better results for this game ? TrSSAA or SGSSAA ? What's globally better for any game also... ?

It also can use HBAO+
    DX9
    0x0000001A

8. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    TrSSAA is just transparency supersampling. It doesn't anti-alias the whole image. With TrSSAA you get normal MSAA for geometry, and super-sampling for transparencies. SGSSAA anti-aliases everything, so it's always better (if it works without glitches for the game in question, of course.)

Klemc likes this.
  9. Klemc

Klemc Master Guru

GPU:
    4070-ti ARGB - PNY
    I will backup my NVInspector profiles, i don't check "include predefined settings", so i have all about flags, AA/AF/AO settings... right !?

Thanks ...

10. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Yes that's correct. So it will only import/export the settings you have changed.

Klemc likes this.

11. Klemc

Klemc Master Guru

GPU:
    4070-ti ARGB - PNY
    Hello... tout le monde (everybody),

i start to play my games now (was lazy), since i received my new monitor i can't stop, it's VA 32" (32GN600-B) incomparable to an IPS that i had to send back (twice the price XG27AQ), i became blind by using a flashlight in a dark room (game: EMTPT), even textures were "strange" in my opinion, not "natural"...

So, about AA...

"Resonance of fate" doesn't seem to accept any AA tweak ; should i try Reshade SMAA instead ?...

Am i right, do i see correctly (should try/switch setting again in NVI !) ?..
    ... with Submerged (UE4) TrSSAA (enhance), works well, should i enable SGSSAA up to 8X ?
    DSR's not compatible with this game... 100% scale is max (ini's resetted if manually changed above 100).

TrSSAA in NVI (from what i understand) :
    mstraa.jpg

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
  12. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    It's a modern game from 2018 using DX11. What did you expect? :p

Driver-applied AA is something you use for old games. Almost retro games by now.

13. Klemc

Klemc Master Guru

GPU:
    4070-ti ARGB - PNY
    So, i should ever check DX version game uses (or OGL)... engine... and release date (2012 !?!).
    Also implemented AA ingame type.

But for some "new" games having only FXAA (e.g: ROFate) it's not the best they could have used.

EDIT =

effectively, i tested, POP 2008 has better internal (8x) AA, Remember me AA & AO+ make screen black (but texts interface) and reflexions strange (purpled , no image)....
    ... so i decided to use often as possible internal screnpercentage or any other setting,, way more "stable"...

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
  14. Klemc

Klemc Master Guru

GPU:
    4070-ti ARGB - PNY
    Hello,

what can i do fot Killer7... it's DX11...

15. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    What you need to check is whether it uses OGL 3.xx (Not 4. See Doom 3 vs Doom 3 BFG). Or what DX version it uses. If it uses DX9, you may be able to force AA. Like the recent Ninja Gaiden 3.
    If it uses DX10/11/12 and doesn't offer an option for MSAA (See: Recent Ninja gaiden 1&2) then you are stuck with whatever the game gives you. Like Resonance of Fate, it will likely just be FXAA or some other PPAA.
    Only thing you can do is downsample + FXAA since there is no MSAA.
    You might have to set your desktop resolution to downsampling resolution before you launch the game to get it to stick.

16. Klemc

Klemc Master Guru

GPU:
    4070-ti ARGB - PNY
    Yes, desktop set at 4K on my 2K monitor (32GN600 VA) fixes all kind of bad image and became beatifull, will try FXAA later...

Many thanks.

OKay ;)

17. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I shifted the image a little in photoshop to make this problem easier to see.

Some game have this transparent 1 pixel thick line on the top and left of the screen when using Anti-Aliasing.

Is there a way to fix it?

Naamloos-1.jpg

18. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    It's been there for as long as I can remember. I'm not aware of any fix.

19. Guzz

Guzz Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    You can use the SweetFX Border effect to add a 1-pixel border around the image.

TheDeeGee likes this.
  20. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    It's a been a known issue for almost a decade ish now? You either get use to it, or you can use a border shader. Occasionally using he AA fix can help with it, or playing with the AA Gamma/Line Gamma settings. (Don't know of too many cases of this other than PSO2 where disabling both of those helped reduce the severity of it. Course can't show that off now anymore..)