NVidia Anti-Aliasing Guide (updated)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyberdyne, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Tizoc

Tizoc Active Member

GPU:
    GTX970M
    Tried using enhance x4 and getting the game to run with SSGSS AA, dunno if I succeeded but at least the AA is better now?
    EDIT: Forgot to mention that shadows are still aliased in some parts though :X
    [​IMG]

2. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Yeah you can tell it's working. I would do an exact A/B comparison if you can so you can see for sure the difference. And add that to the post along with the name of the game (Sudeki?) and i'll add it to the reference post.
    Thanks, i'll add this. Mind adding a no AA shot to that post for the reference?

KainXVIII likes this.
  3. KainXVIII

KainXVIII Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Done.

4. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Good thanks. If performance is too much for you, might try 4xSGSSAA instead or try maybe just seeing if forcing 8xMSAA by itself works with that flag and what the performance is like. if not try with 41 on the end.

KainXVIII likes this.

5. Klemc

Klemc Member

GPU:
    1660S PNY SingleFan
    So, my first DSR attempt, gives no result, but certainly because of the game (2D).
    Edna & Harvey Anniversary (strangely scales to 8192 (should be 7680) x4320), and resets every start :
    VS 3840x2160

Attached Files:

6. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    Neither DSR, nor AA, nor 4K will do anything for you in 2D games.

7. Gonzo32

Gonzo32 Member

GPU:
    Rtx2080ti
    Hi, Yakuza 6 released yesterday and I am playing it now but the shimmering and jaggies are awful and killing my enjoyment. Do you have any ideas to fix this issue?

The game has FXAA, SMAA and SSAA. The first two don't do almost nothing, the last one does kinda but not enough and on top of that it tanks the performance

Here you can see the awful jaggies. Any help is welcome

[​IMG]

8. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    That's a 2D game. The assets are a fixed resolution. If there is some kind of aliasing from improper texture filtering/scaling done to the assets before rendering. You can't do anything about that.

You are at the mercy of the developer. The SSAA will help out with a lot of aliasing but it can't do anything about specular/shader aliasing in a lot of cases. (At best it will make those harsh edges smaller but not complete the missing information properly). And depending on how they actually render textures and treat mipmaps it can affect how texture aliasing is affected by using SSAA as well. So in that image there's all kinds of things happening, but the most likely things you are distracted by are the texture and shader aliasing present on the two big buildings present there. (The texture aliasing is so bad on the one to the center right that it almost looks like dithering lol)
    Even extreme brute force SSAA is unlikely to fix it. If you want to tank your framerate and look to see yourself. Run the game at 4xDSR and then crank up the SSAA to 4x and turn on FXAA at the same time. (This gives you effectively 16xOGSSAA. And as you'll see the problem still exists to an extent.)

9. OverZerg

OverZerg New Member

GPU:
    9500GT
    Hi, was trying to set AA for Gothic I with dx11 renderer, any ideas for compatibility flag? Or how to find it?

10. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    You can't with DX11. Unless it has support for MSAA? If it does, then you can enhance it. Alternatively you might try DgVoodo2, which you can force MSAA with. Which will convert it to DX11 as well.

11. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070
    You could try ReShade with SMAA, i use that in some older games that use dgVoodoo, as MSAA doesn't cover everything.

For example i run Populous the Beginning (GOG Version) and Dungeon Keeper 2 (Retail Version) with dgVoodoo and then use ReShade for DX11 with SMAA. Looks really smooth for those games atleast.

12. Wetryshka

Wetryshka Member

GPU:
    GTX 1050Ti / 4GB
    Can anyone tell me how can I use ReShade with SMAA on Rise of the Tomb Raider? Unless using SMAA, that game have horrible AA solutions and the SMAA didn't even work.

13. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Should be straight forward, do you know how to install Reshade? Run the .exe and it should show you a list of your games installed and select ROTT. Download the shaders, run the game, follow the tutorial and then find SMAA in the list by searching in the search box.

14. Markie

Markie Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 950 2Gb
    I just gave up trying to use SGSSAA in games. Too many flags that:

-Don't work at all (some used to but no longer do)
    -Are just broken (you just get a very blurry and/or aliased image)
    -Work but are incompatible with post processing injectors (the flag just disables itself or causes elements like HUD to flicker)

I've come to the conclusion that it's usually better to just rely on standard downsampling with DSR/Custom Resolutions (Nvidia) or VSR (AMD) as it's a much simpler solution (running the game at a higher than native resolution). It rarely, if ever, doesn't work or has problems. 2.25x SSAA or 4x SSAA combined with Nvidia's FXAA or Reshade's SMAA and you get very strong anti-aliasing and a clean image in all aspects of it (transparencies, geometry, etc) without going through any complications in 90% of games. Adding Reshade's Lumasharpen on top of it can give excellent IQ as well. That's what I always do now, as long as I have the necessary GPU performance for it.

15. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    If you are using any recent version ofReshade you HAVE to add the Depth bit(0x00400000) otherwise it doesn't work anymore. Performance requirements become even higher when adding PP effects however(And in some cases will add blur to the image as SGSSAA will process the new shaders as well) You can however use older SweetFX (Basic sharpening and a border shader to hid garbage at the edges) and other injectors often without a problem. DSR/SSAA is decent as your only option, but it still can't match SGSSAA in games with complex aliasing problems. (Or DSR+SGSSAA).

And without any specific examples of problems, we can't try to correct them.(A lot of things can affect it, aspect ratios are one for example) I've yet to come across games listed that don't work properly. (And if there's anything that needs to be changed, I update the document as needed)It's possible something is configured wrong. There are occasionally games with issues(Just played Dead Space 1 with 2.25xDSR+4xSGSSAA & HBAO+ in addition to Reshade. Game has minor issues here and there with some white outlines on objects occluded by shadowmaps. But it's not common.), but they are often easy to overlook for the trade off or can be mitigated in some way. Very rarely are the issues enough of a problem that using SGSSAA isn't worthwhile.

If there are games where AA doesn't work, I need to know what they are to see if I can investigate it and verify that so the list can be updated. So if you have examples, let's see them please.

16. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    In my experience, using ReShade prevents the "disable fullscreen optimizations" exe compatibility toggle from taking effect, and when FSO is active AA doesn't work at all (be it MSAA or SGSSAA.)

The same is true for some other DLL-based injectors, like Ultimate ASI loader.

17. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    I'll have to try testing that on my W10 drive. (Getting Dead Space 2 set up for when I play that soon anyway. So that will provide a fine testbed)I mainly play all my DX9 games on Windows 7, perhaps why I don't run into that issue. Thanks Microsoft!

18. Markie

Markie Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 950 2Gb
    @MrBonk

Dishonored - Works but causes UI/HUD flickering when used in combination with SweetFX. Haven't tested with Reshade yet. Cleans up aliasing, but is quite blurry in comparison to pure downsampling. SGSSAA also seems to break and stop working if I alt-tab out of the game.

Left 4 Dead 2 - Doesn't work, broken image (blurry, aliased)

DmC: Devil May Cry - Doesn't work, broken image (blurry, aliased). I played through the game with SGSSAA around 2016 and it was perfect, good IQ and performance, but it no longer works now (under Windows 10 Pro 64 bits).

Fallout 3 - Works perfectly, good IQ and performance, but doesn't work in combination with ENB.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  19. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Dishonored Alt Tab problem is a common UE3 issue so can't fix that. But the UI flickering i'll see if I can replicate it. Mind sharing which SweetFX version you are using?

I'll download L4D2 and DMC as well(Both should work, but it may be a W10 issue. And L4D2 I can remember very specifically if the right flag isn't used it is blurry, the AA fix may affect it as well.), I don't have Fallout 3 however Compatibility with ENB may be as simple as a compatibility flag change. If you want to link me to your specific ENB version too, since it's on sale I can buy it and test it out to see if I can get it to work.

20. Markie

Markie Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 950 2Gb
    The SweetFX version I tried to use is 2.0, so the latest one. I no longer have the link to my exact download but version 2.0 can be found in repositories such as this one:

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/8ar1jhh1809cl/ReShade_Repository#9dd4f84o9l99n

I'm leaving SweetFX in general behind and manually converting all my personal and downloaded SweetFX presets to Reshade presets so in the end that flickering problem with Dishonored doesn't really matter that much to be honest, if it's gone with Reshade. I'll test it at some point. I just thought I should let you know.

The ENB version I tried to use on Fallout 3 is the Fallout 3 / New Vegas v0.451, the latest and official one. It can be found here:

http://enbdev.com/download_mod_falloutnv.htm