NVidia Anti-Aliasing Guide (updated)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyberdyne, Jan 29, 2012.

1. lovebuny

lovebuny New Member

GPU:
    RTX 2060 / 6GB
    Is there still no fix for the blurry textures bug? I just want supersampled Half-Life and Sven Co-op... :(
    The blurry textures bug doesn't even seem to show up on most games I play, I have Nvidia Control Panel set to use 8x SSAA on transparency by default, and it looks good in most games, but I have to turn back it off for HL1, so all the textures are just like, pixels translated to more pixels...
    For example I love how GZDoom looks with OpenGL renderer, texture filtering set to "None (trilinear)" (GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_LINEAR) and 8x SSAA, just square texels with smooth edges, but with the same settings in Half-Life it's the blurry mess, or without the SSAA it's jaggy screen-pixel edges on the texels... Does that make sense?
    Anyway, my point is, Nvidia pls fix SSAA

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
  2. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Did you try the existing fix to see if it works at all? If it doesn't you might try a hybrid sampling mode instead like 32xS

3. lovebuny

lovebuny New Member

GPU:
    RTX 2060 / 6GB
    would you mind restating what the existing fix is please, or rather, which one you're referring to? nvidia apparently recently reformatted their forums so it's hard to tell which one exactly i'm supposed to try
    i tried the nvidia profile inspector option that just says "antialiasing fix", that seemed to do nothing
    tried manual LOD adjustment, couldn't find any values that work
    i tried setting OGL_OCGCONTROL_DIRECT_NVIR to FORCE_DISABLE and that completely destroyed the textures
    which other ones should i try?
    edit: ohohoho i found something that works very well with Half-Life. not perfect since it's 4x rather than 8x but still good
    upload_2021-3-14_22-24-5.png

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
  4. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    Does anyone here have the problem that forcing AA in old games does not work unless fullscreen optimizations is disabled? Also, the NVidia sharpen filter conflicts with AA? The image is shaking and also constantly switching between sharpened/unsharpened.

5. tfam26

tfam26 Master Guru

GPU:
    nvidia 30 series

Apparently borderless windowed mode conflicts with nvidia AA which is basically what fullscreen optimizations forces fullscreen exclusive into. Not sure about sharpening.

6. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Can confirm sharpening bug. It's never worked properly. Which is a shame.
    Can't confirm FSO problem as I don't use my W10 drive to play many older games as I still use W7 for those mainly. Windowed/Borderless as far as I remember can cause problems in some games, so it's not surprising. Pretty frustrating since you can't truly kill FSO in some games where turning it off doesn't actually do anything.

7. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    I reported this to nvidia's "Display Driver Feedback Form." I just hope someone actually reads those reports :p

And I can't work around the problem either by using ReShade instead to apply a sharpening shader. When using ReShade, disabling FSO doesn't work anymore, so that means I can't force AA then.

8. Klemc

Klemc Member

GPU:
    1660S PNY SingleFan
    Does a 27" 4K monitor displays less aliasing compared to a 4K 32" ?

Plz respond, that's my last question !!

;)

9. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    They used to, getting them to fix them is another story. I've had some success in years past about getting some bugs fixed. Like with DSR and FS apps that use 16 bit color (Mid 2000s Falcom games for example) and others I can't recall. But it would be nice to be able to use the GPU sharpening over AA. Because even when you can use Reshade with forced AA to use a sharpening shader, it takes higher than normal settings to produce any effect,because the AA is affecting the shaders from Reshade. There can also be a massive performance drop compared to using Reshade without AA too with the same shaders.. Your best bet now is if your display has a sharpening option and just remembering the values you use :/
    You may also try older SweetFX versions that had various sharpening shaders as those from what I remember don't seem to suffer the same performance loss when used with forced AA as Reshade.
    Probably not to a significant degree. The difference in PPI is small.
    CSAA has been gone since at least Maxwell from what I recall(possibly earlier). It serves no functional purpose anymore so while the driver has references to it. It won't work.

I don't know much about Gsync so I can't answer that. You are better off asking questions for that over at www.blurbusters.com

Transparency Supersampling is in the same box as SGSSAA. In OpenGL the TrSSAA option functions the same as SGSSAA in DX9/10/11. However it only works for older OpenGL games and other apps running on older versions of OGL.
    When using SGSSAA(Dx9) and TrSSAA(OpenGL) your sample counts need to match to work properly. 4xMSAA+4xSG/4xTr. Or with hybrid sampling modes as well, 16xS + 4xSGSSAA.
    In the case of Lords of Shadow, both flags will work fine/the same. So I wouldn't worry, they both contain the same functions. My old flag just had more functions enabled.

Dead Island Remastered won't work because it runs on DX11 AFIK.

I wouldn't pay attention to those "Global" flags anymore. They are from a decade ago and are not ideal and the OpenGL flag is entirely irrelevant and doesn't do anything.
    I wouldn't disable DSR as combining forced AA with DSR to create a hybrid solution often produces the highest quality, best performance ratio solution. IE: Using 2.25xDSR and forcing 4xSGSSAA. Or Enhancing a DX11 game with MSAA support with 2xSGSSAA while using 4xDSR and enabling FXAA on top. Ex: https://www.screenshotcomparison.com/comparison.php?id=7172 https://www.screenshotcomparison.com/comparison.php?id=6749 This example shows a hybrid solution looking slightly better than 8XSGSSAA and in reality it performs better as well. Here's a recent one from a few posts above with Dead Space 3 https://www.screenshotcomparison.com/comparison.php?id=11713
    I would still use DSR even with DLSS as you can still benefit from the oversampling, not to mention it might help round out some oversharpening issues DLSS tends to have because developers don't expose it's sharpening setting to end users to allow them to set it how they please. (Unlike DSR)

The button you are looking for with Riddick is in this image
    https://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/111.jpg

Mind sharing some comparisons?
    And how exactly does NVIR destroy textures? I'd need a comparison vs without NVIR and without AA
    Thanks.

SGSSAA should be possible, I would just try 0x000000C1 for starters. If that doesn't do it, try 41, then 10C1.

KainXVIII likes this.
  10. Klemc

Klemc Member

GPU:
    1660S PNY SingleFan
    Merci mille fois, MrBonk,

i noted all that in my text file...
    i'll talk about G-sync when needed, why not with BlurBusters ;) .

I tried to buy a 24" 4K IPS screen but those are rarity (tiny + uhd resolution !!).
    Because i will buy a really super good monitor, but later this year, 27" Qhd/Uhd, but not IPS !!

Actually i'm on a 4KTV55", not my taste for playing !!

If 32"/27" does not gives perceptual benefict over how antialiasing shows @4K, 2K/4K certaily does.

Salut :)

11. Gonzo32

Gonzo32 New Member

GPU:
    Rtx2080ti
    Hi guys, Im new here but I have been reading you for many years. I really hate jaggies with all my passion and this thread has been very useful for me

Im writing here because I have an issue with prey 2017. The game uses very poor anti aliasing and I found out that supersampling eliminates all the jaggies completely. The problem is, that when using it, it breaks the huds offset. This mean that when interacting with a computer for example, i need to look outside of the computer basically to be able to do it. Its very frustrating and I dont find any fix. I was thinking that maybe here you know a fix for this because the culprit is the super sampling but I dont want to remove it because it really eliminates all the jaggies and it looks super clean now the game

12. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    What exactly do you mean by supersampling? Are you using DSR or is there an in game or in engine form of super sampling?
    I'm not familiar with that game.

13. Gonzo32

Gonzo32 New Member

GPU:
    Rtx2080ti
    Hi thank you for answering. Its a cry engine so basically you can add these lines in the config file: r_supersampling = 2 and I get a very good AA, of course the fps decrease quite a lot but I can live with it. The problem is when you do it, the hud goes offset and its imposible to play like that like I explained in my previous post. I have found other people complaining about the same and they did not found any solution. I was hoping maybe someone here could help

Edit: here you can see the problem in a video: https://www.reddit.com/r/prey/comments/krxx2o/prey_hudelements_and_aim_is_off_with/

14. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    I see. Have you tried using DSR instead? (And adjusting the smoothness value to get the sharpness you want). Using DSR 4x should be equivalent to that in engine setting. (I would also turn on the regular AA the game has on top of this) You might also try smaller values. Like 1.5 instead of 2 and see if that makes a difference.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
    Gonzo32 likes this.
  15. Gonzo32

Gonzo32 New Member

GPU:
    Rtx2080ti
    I have but DSR doesn't get rid of them, even a very high resolutions.

Anyway I found a solution!

Adding these lines to the config of the game located in Users\Saved Games\Arkane Studios\Prey)

r_AntialiasingMode = 4
    r_AntialiasingTAAPattern = 11
    r_motionblur = 0
    r_AntialiasingTAAPattern = 11
    r_AntialiasingTAASharpening = 0
    r_AntialiasingTAAFalloffHiFreq = 6.0
    r_AntialiasingTAAFalloffLowFreq = 2.0

And set the file as read only

This fixes the jaggies completely, I love happy endings haha :D

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021

16. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    You might still try with a little DSR anyway combined with the TAA. Might create the best effect. I'll create an entry pointing to your post anyway about the in engine SSAA.

17. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    I know this is a reply to a very old post, but just in case someone finds their way here through a web search:

That code ("0x02004005") is not an AA code, it's the code to get SLI.

To get SGSSAA working with Race Driver GRID, you don't need any AA bits. Leave them at their default of 0. But what you need to do, is "enhance" rather than "override" the AA settings, and also match your sample count with the game's in-game setting. So for 4xSGSSAA, select "4xMSAA" in the game's graphics settings, and then set 4xMSAA + 4xSGSSAA in profile inspector.

This works nicely, without blur and I confirmed it works: when viewing for example the Ford Mustang in the career screen, there's jaggies and shimmer at the back of the car as the camera waves slowly, even with in-game 8xMSAA. But with SGSSAA, they completely disappear. Also, GPU load goes up, as expected when SGSSAA is used.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
  18. KainXVIII

KainXVIII Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Alas, none of them work i think, just blurs the image..
    Bullet Witch
    No AA (also soft AA off) - https://abload.de/img/553kjk2p.png
    4xSGSSAA 0x000000C1- https://abload.de/img/5548ujm3.png
    4xSGSSAA 0x00000041- https://abload.de/img/555w2jyy.png
    8xSGSSAA 0x000010C1 - https://abload.de/img/55645j49.png

And actually working SGSSAA bit
    8xSGSSAA 0x084012C - https://abload.de/img/5665cko3.png

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
  19. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Yeah that usually means something else is missing.

Try 0x084012C1 , which is a sort of catch all.

Thanks for this. I'll update the post to reflect it. Appreciate verifying old stuff like this.
    I usually go and update things in the document myself with some older entries as I play games and learn new things.
    Like with Dead Space recently, turns out the AA fix helps a lot with specular aliasing in the first game as well from when I tested DS3. I wanted to recheck that as well.

Or Playing Phantasy Star Online 2, figuring out that you can have motion blur with the HR shaders and not have broken AA but you have to turn off Light Shafts (which are terrible quality anyway),but sort of flip back and forth between enabling/disabling one or the other to get it to register.
    Strange stuff sometimes.

20. KainXVIII

KainXVIII Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
    Tizoc likes this.