NVidia Anti-Aliasing Guide (updated)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyberdyne, Jan 29, 2012.

1. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Thank you. Looks great. I'll add it to the document :)

2. KainXVIII

KainXVIII Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    No.

3. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Well i'll add a note that says it breaks water. It's possible on older GPUs this didn't happen.

KainXVIII likes this.
  4. KainXVIII

KainXVIII Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Or older drivers.

5. arcturian

arcturian New Member

GPU:
    Anything work for Phasmophobia? I cannot even use DSR. It's Unity.

6. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    You probably need to set your desktop to your DSR resolution first then launch the game for it to detect it i'd guess. Some games are like that. But if it's a modern Unity game. Forget it, unless it has a DX9 mode.

7. Tizoc

Tizoc Active Member

GPU:
    GTX970M
    So we got a laptop for one of my relatives and it has an AMD card. Nothing major or fancy but it should be fine for some early 3D games when he wants to play some stuff in his down time from college work.
    Is there any kind of software or such like Nvidia inspector for AMD? Pref. one that's easy to use like Inspector :X

8. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Not that i'm aware of. And that's why i'll never use an AMD card :(

KainXVIII likes this.
  9. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX AMD Vanguard

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800XT
    Hi @MrBonk I got some AA flickering when enabled AA in Remnant from the Ashes which uses Unreal Engine 4, is there a AA mode than remove that flickering around some edges or water pools?
    Talking about AMD card, I need to set required resolution to desktop as DSR to see it applied to this game and I have NVIDIA card :-/

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
  10. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    You can try to use UE4 built in Supersampling to mitigate some of it. (The "ScreenPercentage" variable)
    But you can also try some custom TAA settings if the game will allow you to set them in the Engine.ini
    Such as
    (Add this to the end of the Engine.ini)
    Frame weight is going to have the biggest impact from flickering more at higher values and worse quality AA but the image is sharper with less harsh temporal artifacts. Lower values provide a better resolve but can increase the number of temporal artifacts visible and too far can result in a much softer picture with the typical UE4 spongy surface artifacts (Especially if you elect to use the built in Sharpening in UE4). I wouldn't use a Frame Weight value of lower than 0.15 and higher than 0.45. Changing the AA samples higher than 8 will result in more aliasing as it can't resolve anything higher than 8 properly. The AA filter is essentially the resolve width in pixels. Less than 0.5 is sharper but much more aliased and emphasize flickering elements, but may look good to you. Higher values are softer and combined with a lower frameweight value (And sharpening) will end up looking very smeary looking.

Also what may help is increasing your framerate and or adjusting/turning off Motion Blur.
    Lower framerates = slightly worse TAA quality in UE4 as the number of temporal samples per second is lower, making certain issues more visible.
    The motion blur makes it harder for UE4 TAA to work well too and in some of my testing can dramatically increase the number of temporal artifacts and decrease the quality of AA on edges of character models (As they are the center of focus). So disabling MB or turning the effect down significantly can help as well.

didamangi, SpajdrEX and KoKlusz like this.

11. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX AMD Vanguard

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800XT
    Seems that it helped with pixel flickering, thanks for that @MrBonk
    One more question, when you mentioned Supersampling, how exactly I enable that? You mention Screenpercentage variable but below in .ini example it's not mentioned :)

EDIT.: Found this link so I have an answer I needed :)
    http://www.kosmokleaner.de/ownsoft/UE4CVarBrowser.html

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
  12. Tizoc

Tizoc Active Member

GPU:
    GTX970M
    Gonna start Crysis 3 soon, will try enhancing to SSGSS AA but I suspect my GPU might not be able to handle that well XP
    Will test both SMAA 2x and 4x first though.

13. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    It's VERY performance heavy and requires Downsampling to get a good effect and comes with some tradeoffs. It doesn't work as well with just MSAA enabled, TXAA +SGSSAA looks overall better, but this results in some issues on resolve of Grass that requires some sharpening afterwards.

I would just use SMAAT2x +Some downsampling. It gets pretty good results with the major downside being the Ghosting when using Scopes like in Crysis 2. (And a little bit on grass too as you will see on the comparison below)

For reference an RTX 2080 with modified settings (Performance can scale well if you are willing to play with the settings. Don't just throw it on the highest settings. The highest DoF setting can kill performance for example) can hit 3200x1800 60FPS with SMAAT2x. Or 3496x1944 30FPS with 2xTXAA+2xSGSSAA+FXAA+Sharpening.
    SMAA4x isn't worth it in this game, you get the downsides of T2x but not much benefit over it.
    https://www.screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/7976

TXAA+SGSSAA does look better in motion in most scenes. (there is some specular/shader aliasing that is impossible to fix). But it sucks up performance like a pig. So unless you have a monster GPU. I'd just try to optimize your settings so you can get 60FPS at as high of a resolution as you can with SMAAT2x.

Here's some screenshots of SMAAT2x at 1800p downsampled.
    https://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/ssscreenshot071.jpg
    https://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/ssscreenshot019copy.jpg
    https://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/ssscreenshot010.jpg

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
    KainXVIII likes this.
  14. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070
    SGSSAA doesn't work in Call of Duty 1 (2003) i guess due to OpenGL?

15. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    You have to use the Transparency Supersampling modes. Not SGSSAA. In OGL TrSSAA=SGSSAA. Beware though you may encounter the OGL texture blurring bug, which there used to be a fix for. But not anymore AFIK.(Short of going back to old drivers if your GPU is supported on that driver. Don't remember which one).
    You might try forcing a hybrid sampling mode instead like 16xS

TheDeeGee likes this.

16. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070
    The blurring fix does work actually, i had to set "OGL_OCGCONTROL_DIRECT_NVIR" to enabled.

I'll try and fiddle with other settings, SSAA doesn't seem to affect foliage and such, they remain jaggy. I can always try DSR.

17. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Forward To The Sky
    0x004000C1
    All modes work. You may want to disable the in game SSAO with this mod made using https://github.com/DerPopo/UABE
    Otherwise it does affect AA and you will need the AA fix. It looks pretty bad so it's better off IMO, also performance with forced AA improves with it disabled. (Nearly 10% drop in GPU usage with 8xSGSSAA at 1080p on a 2080)
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FpBAPNpDvUx4zrDH9CzmNYIIg2CslKdU/view?usp=sharing
    . Setting "-popupwindow" as a launch paramater may result in better/more consistent performance. (And allows it's own borderless vsync in Windows 7)
    This is an old Unity game and frame pacing is all over the map. Seems highly sensitive to background applications. Sometimes it will be very smooth and other times suttering constantly.
    I dunno.
    You can also force HBAO+ with the flag 0x00000034, it does turn off on the player character at certain angles (Not super noticeable), and has some vertical line artifacts unless you use Performance mode.

Default in game AA (2xMSAA) https://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/ForwardToTheSky20201.png
    8xSGSSAA https://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/430ForwardToTheSky20201.png

KainXVIII likes this.
  18. KainXVIII

KainXVIII Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
  19. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Try with/without AA fix?

This was before that was a thing,so it may play a part.
    I might have to download it and try again.

20. 260996608

260996608 New Member

GPU:
    1080ti/16
    How to modify anti-aliasing in GTA5 Please give me a tutorial