NVidia Anti-Aliasing Guide (updated)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyberdyne, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Tizoc

Tizoc Active Member

GPU:
    GTX970M
    So for the Night Dive releases of Turok 1 and 2, I think I can set them to DX9 but what AA bits to use? The game's AA options leave much to be desired. They're not bad just that...it could be better.

2. SirYodaJedi

SirYodaJedi New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1050 4 GB
    Complete Saga uses a different flag, apparently. I don't have the game, but this is what @hazel#2368 said on the Lego game modding Discord.
    [​IMG]
    In action (with some mods):
    [​IMG]

3. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Not sure if Turok has been tested or not. But try 0x084012C1 as a starting place.

Tizoc likes this.
  4. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Added thanks.

5. KainXVIII

KainXVIII Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    What about Munch's Oddysee HD (OpenGL) - there are no FXAA/SSAA options like in Stranger's Wrath HD, not even resolution select option, can i force some sort of AA?

6. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 480 8GB OC/UV
    If forcing via driver does not work ootb: No, as there are no AA compatibility flags for OGL.
    You can only use postprocessing FXAA via driver or inject SMAA via ReShade.

KainXVIII likes this.
  7. KainXVIII

KainXVIII Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    So Reshade it is.

8. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Munch HD uses a newer OGL renderer I think that makes it impossible to force AA.
    I'll double check it real quick.
    Yeah all you can do is Resolution Scale.(Despite there being a shader present for MSAA...)
    The game uses your desktop resolution.
    https://imgsli.com/MTE4MzQ
    So if you set a higher res then launch the game it will play in that resolution.

Where as with the original port, you can use MSAA (but not SGSSAA) :/ (Beta branch)
    http://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/munch202002071618341.png

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    KainXVIII likes this.
  9. Tizoc

Tizoc Active Member

GPU:
    GTX970M
    Sorry for the misinformation; Turok 2 has an options to use either DX10/11 and OpenGL.
    I'll try the bit with OpenGL to see if anything happens, but the game having only SMAA x1 and FXAA options are disappointing XP

10. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    No DX9. No forcing AA.(There is a miniscule chance DX10 may work)
    Modern OGL based renderers are no good either. Don't they have a resolution scale option or something? Shame they couldn't figure out how to put MSAA in there considering the games they are.

11. KainXVIII

KainXVIII Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    This should be on the first page with HUGE BRIGHT FONT :)

12. Tizoc

Tizoc Active Member

GPU:
    GTX970M
    That's a shame, but I've enjoyed what I played so far enough for me to overlook the AA xp

13. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    It's been pretty common knowledge for a long time now but i'll try adding a note to the document.

KainXVIII likes this.
  14. Tizoc

Tizoc Active Member

GPU:
    GTX970M
    Sacred 3 is a DX9 game according to PCGamingwiki; any suggested bits to use? (Also this released in 2014? Thought it released earlier o_O)

15. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Just try some bits that have worked on other games. Trial and error. I always recommend the default safe sort of bit to start with. I mentioned it a few posts ago too. That should always be your starting point as it covers most use cases.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    Tizoc likes this.

16. xvt

xvt Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Z
    Just a couple of quick notes regarding driver sharpening on my end:
    Screen shake never goes away after x amount of time. It only does not occur if I run the game in windowed/borderless windowed mode or if I use the game's own MSAA (if available), which is a shame.

Upon further testing, it seems DXVK ignores forced AA/HBAO+ driver settings for D3D9 (only sharpening works, maybe because it's a post processing effect that's added at the end of the rendering chain? curiously, FXAA doesn't take hold neither).

This happens either because the wrapper -which works as an API call translator- prevents the AA/HBAO+ calls from taking place (since there is currently no way to force them on Vulkan), they simply get ignored by DXVK (since it spoofs GPUs to present them as AMD, but I already tried with the setting off and still no positive results), or get lost in translation/not currently supported.

You can, however, force MSAA (d3d9.forceSwapchainMSAA) with dxvk.conf, but this only makes use of vanilla MSAA. In-game MSAA options still work as usual.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Vulkan cannot have forced AA or HBAO period.

18. xvt

xvt Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Z
    Correct, I'm not saying you can.
    DXVK is a wrapper tho and the jury was still out on its behaviour regarding forced driver settings, so either the API calls that make these flags work on D3D9 have no Vulkan equivalent or they're simply ignored by the translator.

19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Game > Wrapper API > Driver

Game talks to wrapper first, Wrapper talks to driver, the driver doesn't see what api the game was using at all.

20. xvt

xvt Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Z
    I find it curious how during my testing, dgVoodoo's DX11 works just fine along with SGSSAA (wrapping a DX9 game, Dragon Age: Origins in this particular scenario: had to use in-game MSAA and use the enhance option in drivers), which gave me hope that the same would happen with DXVK.
    It's possible that dgVoodoo's wrapping method just works in a way that allows such behaviour.

Anyway, I was just reporting my findings.