NVidia Anti-Aliasing Guide (updated)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyberdyne, Jan 29, 2012.

1. xvt

xvt Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Z
    Try running the game with DXVK (on Windows, yes), that thing is literally black magic.
    And since it's a wrapper, nvidia inspector settings should still take precedence.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  2. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    I wonder if that would really change the performance at all?

3. xvt

xvt Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Z
    It does, oddly enough.

I've personally tested it with Borderlands GOTY Enhanced and in certain scenarios gained up to 25+ fps.
    Couple of other games I've tried it on, there's no gain at all or performs worse due to the wrapper's overhead.
    Not a silver bullet but still worth a shot for bad performing games.

https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/releases

edit: all you have to do is find out which architecture the game runs on (either x86 or x64) and copy said dlls in the same folder as the game's executable.
    Be sure to copy all the dlls to the game's folder, since sometimes a game might use a legacy/deprecated instruction or whatnot that can be caught by one of the other API wrappers in DXVK; this will help prevent the game from crashing.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  4. NeoChaos

NeoChaos Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB
    I guess it is a game-by-game basis, because it's REALLY noticable in Jedi Academy.
    https://imgur.com/a/5jlYDjf
    It's also incredibly bad in Hexen II, but I can't seem to take screenshots in that game for some reason.

5. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Yikes, yeah you might try using one of the HSAA modes instead. Like 16xS, which should work in OGL. May be useful for games where you can't downsample because the UI becomes too small to be readable.
    Also: Does it do that if you enhance the in game MSAA instead of forcing it?
    The OGL AA fix doesn't work anymore work? I can't remember.

Well dang that is pretty interesting. I'll have to try this out sometime. It might make higher framerates at higher resolutions more feasible in this game.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  6. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
  7. NeoChaos

NeoChaos Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB
    Enhance AA setting is the same as disabling, seems like you have to use Override to get AA to work in OpenGL. That said, I just tried the HSAA settings (16xS, as well as 32xS for the hell of it) and that seems to do the job just as well - the distant trees in that Jedi Academy level show a hell of a lot less shimmering when my character is moving.

As for the OpenGL AA fix, that has been broken for about a year and a half now, and the relevant setting is no longer visible in newer version of the drivers/Inspector. It's rather sad that nVidia doesn't seem to really care about fixing this feature, especially as SGSSAA overrides the Transparency AA setting for OGL games. Hate to be the unsuspecting gamer playing these older games, enabling TrSSAA in NVCP expecting it to clean up the transparencies and get greeted with a blurry mess of the game's textures.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  8. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Ok yeah thanks for jogging my memory. That's what I thought. Which sucks if you have a newer GPU and can't roll back drivers. That makes a certain case to keep around a relevant Maxwell series card for just such occasions but that's a pretty darn niche of niche use case. (Interestingly, in PPSSPP forcing AA in OGL doesn't seem to cause any texture blurring issues from my limited testing. But it's not a very useful scenario either because you have to use unbuffered rendering)

I wonder if problematic OGL titles should be listed in the document too. ( I added a note about Jedi Academy to start) Testing all the OGL games out there would take a while probably, though the number that work these days is probably pretty low. It seems like only older OGL versions prior to 3.0 can have AA forced. (Doom 3 vs BFG for example. D3 used OGL 2.0 and BFG used 3.2)

Nvidia probably doesn't care because it's basically a driver hack. But I don't know if anyone ever opened a ticket with Nvidia to see if they would fix it either.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  9. Tizoc

Tizoc Active Member

GPU:
    GTX970M
    So for the Night Dive releases of Turok 1 and 2, I think I can set them to DX9 but what AA bits to use? The game's AA options leave much to be desired. They're not bad just that...it could be better.

10. SirYodaJedi

SirYodaJedi New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1050 4 GB
    Complete Saga uses a different flag, apparently. I don't have the game, but this is what @hazel#2368 said on the Lego game modding Discord.
    [​IMG]
    In action (with some mods):
    [​IMG]

11. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Not sure if Turok has been tested or not. But try 0x084012C1 as a starting place.

Tizoc likes this.
  12. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Added thanks.

13. KainXVIII

KainXVIII Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    What about Munch's Oddysee HD (OpenGL) - there are no FXAA/SSAA options like in Stranger's Wrath HD, not even resolution select option, can i force some sort of AA?

14. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Master Guru

GPU:
    6800 reference UV
    If forcing via driver does not work ootb: No, as there are no AA compatibility flags for OGL.
    You can only use postprocessing FXAA via driver or inject SMAA via ReShade.

KainXVIII likes this.
  15. KainXVIII

KainXVIII Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    So Reshade it is.

16. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Munch HD uses a newer OGL renderer I think that makes it impossible to force AA.
    I'll double check it real quick.
    Yeah all you can do is Resolution Scale.(Despite there being a shader present for MSAA...)
    The game uses your desktop resolution.
    https://imgsli.com/MTE4MzQ
    So if you set a higher res then launch the game it will play in that resolution.

Where as with the original port, you can use MSAA (but not SGSSAA) :/ (Beta branch)
    http://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/munch202002071618341.png

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    KainXVIII likes this.
  17. Tizoc

Tizoc Active Member

GPU:
    GTX970M
    Sorry for the misinformation; Turok 2 has an options to use either DX10/11 and OpenGL.
    I'll try the bit with OpenGL to see if anything happens, but the game having only SMAA x1 and FXAA options are disappointing XP

18. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    No DX9. No forcing AA.(There is a miniscule chance DX10 may work)
    Modern OGL based renderers are no good either. Don't they have a resolution scale option or something? Shame they couldn't figure out how to put MSAA in there considering the games they are.

19. KainXVIII

KainXVIII Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    This should be on the first page with HUGE BRIGHT FONT :)

20. Tizoc

Tizoc Active Member

GPU:
    GTX970M
    That's a shame, but I've enjoyed what I played so far enough for me to overlook the AA xp