NVidia Anti-Aliasing Guide (updated)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyberdyne, Jan 29, 2012.

1. dezo

dezo Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080s
    MrBonk: Regarding of Crysis 2, try older version of the game, v1.8 looks fine in dx9 with anisotropic filtering. Crytek messed up the dx9 renderer with their dx11 v1.9 update and never fixed it afterwards. It doesn't even look any better in dx11, at least to me anyway. Some of the additional graphics settings they added to 1.9 GUI can be set in 1.8 game console.

Btw Crysis 3 is currently unplayable on my rig with win10, i9 9700k, RTX 2080 (drv 441.20), 144Hz 2560x1440 freesync2. Regardless of resolution and graphics settings (low/very high) it hovers around 30-60 FPS and stutters like hell. Last time a played it in win7 with GTX 1080 it was fine. Not that I care much, the game was boring, short and didn't make much sense.

2. borktorias

borktorias Member

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    Has anyone used Nvidias new driver level sharpening with AA bits? I think I discovered a bug related to it in Bayonetta when trying to force AA, for some reason it causes the entire viewport to wobble side to side.

3. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    I haven't, I primarily use Windows 7 and I haven't updated my drivers or used W10 in a while. It was W10 specific wasnt it?
    Well I already played through Crysis 2 in DX11 (Without POM and the DX11 DOF, wish you could get the better Motion Blur without the DX11 DoF but they are tied together. Same in Crysis 3. At high res the DX9 DoF looks better anyway) without much issue. Next time I'll have to remember that and dig out the DVDs to install it instead. DX11 performed a bit better anyway.

Crysis 3 I haven't had any performance issues with other than the fact that it's just extremely demanding on Very High. Running at 3200x1800 with custom settings at 60FPS 90% of the time in Windows 7 on my 2080. All of the AA options in this game are 100% garbage though by default. Nothing cuts through the massive specular aliasing problems. MSAA quality is poor, SMAAT2x has ghosting when looking down any kind of scope. TXAA looks bad due to the poor MSAA implementation and constantly sort of seesaws in and out of handling any temporal issues. SMAA4x has almost zero visible benefit.

I have figured out that if you are willing to play at 30FPS you can get pretty decent AA. Though specular issues are still a big issue.
    You can enhance 4xSMAA or TXAA (Or MSAA) with SGSSAA and then Downsample, add FXAA on top and then turn up the in game Sharpening.
    https://imgsli.com/OTE5NA
    https://imgsli.com/OTIzMQ
    https://imgsli.com/OTE5NQ
    https://imgsli.com/OTIzMA
    https://imgsli.com/OTIzMg

Though if you just want the best you can get at 60FPS. SMAAT2x+FXAA+As high of downsampling you can get with settings you want is the only worthwhile setting. (Though you get ghosting on Grass and with Scopes and sometimes in cutscenes) Don't let the above comparison fool you though. While completely static it is comparable with the TXAA hybrid, it looks worse in motion with more temporal aliasing.

There is also some kind of bug with the default motion blur and DoF. If you disable them, it still causes some kind of broken upsampling effect with fast movement or when using the weapon customize menu. Using the HQ DX11 Motionblur+DoF option (PP=Very High) and turning them off works correctly.

Kind of status quo though as there is some kind of problem getting good AA (and good specular AA)out of all 4 Crysis games. SGSSAA works really well in the DX9 renderer of the first 2 games but CPU performance once AA is enabled completely tanks for whatever reason to the point where I felt it was unplayable. Performance isn't much better in DX10 but better enough to get closer to a stable 60. But Warhead crashed a lot in DX10 for me. (Where as I had the reverse issue about 8 years ago when I played Crysis 1, tons of bugs and crashes in that game. Very few this time.)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  4. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Does this run on DX8 or DX9? I would try 0x08000041. If it is an old game resolution may play a factor.
    Try 0x084000C1

5. odellus

odellus Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    DX9. that flag doesn't seem to work unfortunately.

6. Tizoc

Tizoc Active Member

GPU:
    GTX970M
    Some BGE screenshots, dunno if they'd be a good example of SSGSS AA in the game but figured I should share something ^^;

[​IMG][​IMG]

7. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    ^^ Yeah looks great.
    What resolution are you running at? I'm assuming the game only supports old 4:3 resolution or something right?

I totally forgot I owned all the C&C games on Origin. I'll download it and tinker.

8. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    So C&C Renegade is actually DX8. So you don't need bits.
    The problem is that the game has the old "Let's name our executable Game.exe" problem.
    You need to add game.exe as an Absolute Application Path to the the existing profile in the Nvidia Drivers.

Forcing AA is no problem after that
    https://imgsli.com/OTEzNA

9. odellus

odellus Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    hmmm, that's weird. mine is definitely running in DX9 per Afterburner. might need to max out the game's settings in the launcher to get it to use DX9; it has a couple special ones you can only enable through it that have to do with lighting. i added the game's executables like you said but it wasn't working without a flag. i used the flag you recommended earlier and AA now works, but any kind of SSAA is extremely blurry and MSAA doesn't seem to be doing too good of a job.

10. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Hmm. I had everything maxed in the launcher AFIK. Are you using any external or 3rd party patches? I'll download and look again.

Here's my settings in the launcher

and here's showing 8xMSAA by itself working fine even on a stretched 16:9 resolution
    http://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/Game2019120515410497.png
    [​IMG]

11. odellus

odellus Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    i am, but afaik they don't do anything to the renderer, the main patch doesn't mention anything like that on its website. i believe i'm just using an anti-cheat/script extender called TT Patch and a third-party server browser called RenList. i'm preeetty sure that's it, but this install is really old so not 100%. i'm also using ReShade. links below.

http://www.tiberiantechnologies.org/
    https://w3dhub.com/forum/files/file/16-renlist-109/

comparison screenshots and inspector profile settings: https://imgur.com/a/PHeo9en

EDIT: it appears SMAA was somehow enabled in ReShade even though it was unticked. MSAA still seems to not work.

EDIT 2: i am an idiot. the dedicated launcher for the modded servers (that you don't actually need to play on them) has an MSAA option in it that actually works. SSAA appears to be non-functional, though. it does something but it's not anti-alias, it just blurs the whole screen horribly.

12. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    OK well there's your problem. Reshade.
    Reshade is wrapping the game to DX9, you need to use the Depth bit to force AA properly.
    0x00400041(or C1) will probably work.

13. odellus

odellus Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    awesome, thank you, i didn't know ReShade did that automatically. is there any way to combat the blur conflict with ReShade? all the threads i can find are old and/or have no solutions presented.

14. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Screenshot?
    You may be able to offset it depending on the source.(like changing the last digit in the bit to 5 instead of 1) But more than likely you are just going to need to add a sharpening pass if you are going to use ReShade. As the problem doesn't exist without using Reshade and the default DX8 Renderer.

15. KainXVIII

KainXVIII Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    So for Oblivion which bit is recommended 0x00000045 or 0x000000C3 (what does Vanilla game in comments mean? I have GOTY version)
    And also for Suffering 1, if anybody knows :)

16. SirYodaJedi

SirYodaJedi New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1050 4 GB
    I got the Steam OSD working just fine in Sonic Adventure 2 (Battle) with 4xSGSSAA forced through Nvidia Profile Inspector. I'm in borderless windowed mode (using the SA2 Mod Loader); exclusive fullscreen softlocks my PC.[​IMG]

17. Phil Tuncap

Phil Tuncap Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 970 4096mb
    Wow, people still play C&C Renegade? I used to play the hell out of that game, I wish they would've made a sequel. Was looking at <a ref="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ekUZsK2YXgd5XjjH1M7QkHIQgKO_i4bHCUdPeAd6OCo/pub">NVidia Profile Inspector - AA Flags</a> and just happened to see c&c renegade and clicked the reference link out of curiousity and it brought me here ;P Speaking of which, talking about this game reminds me of an old picture i still have in my backed up drive stuff...

[​IMG]

lol...dated 2004

MrBonk and odellus like this.
  18. odellus

odellus Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    i'm just gonna use MSAA. i really appreciate the help.

19. svarthund

svarthund New Member

GPU:
    gtx 980 ti
    Can someone help me with Lord of the Rings Battle for the Middle Earth 2 AA?

0x20000000 works with Battle for the Middle Earth 1, but it doesn't with BFME, can someone help?

20. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070
    I noticed OGL_OCGCONTROL_DIRECT_NVIR is no longer there?

Which sucks in older OpenGL games in combination with Anti-Aliasing.

EDIT: Nevermind, it's still there.