1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NVidia Anti-Aliasing Guide (updated)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyberdyne, Jan 29, 2012.

1. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Dungeon Siege 3 doesn't work. The in game AA doesn't even function at all IIRC.

You have to downsample+FXAA or SMAA. Either use GeDoSaTo to get easy high ratios. Or use DSR tool to create a custom DSR resolution greater than 2x2
    This game looks really good though when you do that.

KainXVIII likes this.
  2. Tizoc789

Tizoc789 Member

GPU:
    GTX 970M
    Thanks for the info, I'll keep that in mind once I can get DSR ;3

KainXVIII likes this.
  3. sergcrack

sergcrack New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Hello, anyone know a sgssaa bits for Renegade Ops

4. Dreadmoth

Dreadmoth Member

GPU:
    MSI 1070Ti Titanium
    Renegade Ops is DirectX 10, not sure if bits would do anything.

TrSSAA and SGSSAA seem to work anyway:

4x MSAA (in-game setting)
    4x MSAA + 4x TrSSAA
    4x SGSSAA

I couldn't see any improvement trying to enhance or override to 8x.

(unskippable logo videos and "do not turn off your PC" screens... annoying)

5. Tizoc789

Tizoc789 Member

GPU:
    GTX 970M
    The AA bits mentioned for Trine 1
    0x000010C1

I tried applying them but the game still has some aliasing going on. I disabled bloom and fxaa (post processing AA in options file), but overriding nor enhancing Trine 1 seems to do the trick. Is there an alt. AA bit to test out with if anyone knows?

6. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Checking myself. It wouldn't have been known at the time. But enabling the AA fix improves quality and fixes some black line artifacts. But also I think the Enchanted edition wasn't out yet either. Which had problems with it's bloom from what I can tell from my pictures. The EE looks a ton better and doesn't seem to have issues with the bloom.

AA is still pretty costly though.

4xSGSSAA cost is roughly on par with the in game 4xSSAA option in cost. (Same as 2x2 DSR).
    In game SSAA doesn't scale bloom resolution. DSR does. In game SSAA also seems to have a negative lod bias effect or something similar. Sharper but more aliasing.

8xSGSSAA @ 1080p can easily hit 50-60% GPU.
    https://abload.de/img/trine1_32bit_2019_08_ftjtj.png
    https://abload.de/img/trine1_32bit_2019_08_ipjz7.png
    Looks gorgeous though.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    KainXVIII likes this.
  7. Tizoc789

Tizoc789 Member

GPU:
    GTX 970M
    Ah thanks, I'll try it with AA fix and see if it'll improve.

8. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Post some screens if you need to. You may need to take a hybrid approach.
    I can only access the first area of the game. So there may be things I don't see.

9. Tizoc789

Tizoc789 Member

GPU:
    GTX 970M
  10. Tizoc789

Tizoc789 Member

GPU:
    GTX 970M
    Heh I was concerned that the NVidia Inspector settings I made weren't working for Dishonored, but it seems that the main menu is a video file playback. In game the textures are affected as expected, I also applied AF x16 via editting a .ini file
    Here are some screens I took
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Also for anyone planning a replay, keep in mind that the game despawns bodies be they unconcious or otherwise. This can be annoying if you are going for a no kill run as despawned bodies count as kills. Someone provided this simple guide to resolve this issue
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=174895104

11. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Might need to see your inspector settings.

This is what 4xSGSSAA looks like for me.
    https://abload.de/img/trine1_32bit_2019_08_ulk9w.png

There is still some minor issues on a few elements. But nothing super egregious. Sometimes SGSSAA doesn't get absolutely everything.
    It could be since you have bloom disabled that the quality of the final output changes. It's sharper, but more aliasing remains. Shaders like Bloom often interact with SGSSAA and improve Image Quality as the expense of ermagerd sharpness.

Those Dishonored screens look nice, definitely one of the more visually unique UE3 games. And yeah the videos, games running on UE3 were by far the worst last gen when it came to stuff that should've been real-time done as shitty videos.

12. Tizoc789

Tizoc789 Member

GPU:
    GTX 970M
    Here're the NVidia Inspector settings that I have applied
    [​IMG]

Should I be changing anything in the Compatibility section?

Also I tried out OG Deus Ex Human Revolution but I still get aliasing :X I disabled DX11 ingame, and these are the settings I applied. Should I change anything else on here?

[​IMG]

I'll be using Reshade to get rid of the yellow filter in the original game btw.

13. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    You need to disable the behavior flag for Dues Ex AFIK. Otherwise it won't work.

As for trine, you don't have SSAA enabled in the launcher do you?
    The only thing that makes sense is that you have bloom disabled in the options text. As disabling that for me makes the aliasing on the bridge similar to yours.

Alternatively you can use 8xSGSSAA or 8xS+4xSGSSAA and that improves that at the cost of more performance. You can also enable FXAA in game, which will work with 4xSGSSAA enabled. But the image is a lot softer.

Also if you could, set Steam to save "lossless copies" of screenshots. (And then upload these to a hosting site like abload or cubeupload. Or convert those lossless ones to JPG and then upload them. Or even the JPGs Steam produces locally. Not uploaded)
    The JPGs that Steam produces when you upload screenshots to the cloud are horrible quality that have so much compression artifacts visible that it makes it hard to discern the real detail in an image.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    Tizoc789 and KainXVIII like this.
  14. MarcinPL

MarcinPL Member

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 970 4 GB
    Strange thing but AA flags stopped working for American Truck Simulator but same flags work fine with Euro Truck Simulator 2 on the same graphic engine...

15. Tizoc789

Tizoc789 Member

GPU:
    GTX 970M
    Yeah that fixed Deus Ex HR, SSGSS is working fine now :3
    SSAO is causing me slowdowns so I'll just disable it.

Will try out Trine again. I'll disable NVidia inspector settings, re-enable bloom and try again.

16. Tizoc789

Tizoc789 Member

GPU:
    GTX 970M
    Updating nvidia drivers resets Inspector settings :V

17. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    Which is why NV Inspector has profile import/export feature.

KainXVIII likes this.
  18. SirYodaJedi

SirYodaJedi New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1050 4 GB
    First post, and probably only post for a while, so might as well make it long.

Lego Games
    Do NOT force OGSSAA in Lego games. This messes up shadowmap calculations, making the games very dark (with tiny lightboxes). This is unfortunate, as 16x D3D supersampling is subtly crisper than 8x SGSSAA (although only slightly).
    What is fortunate, however, is that SGSSAA does actually work in Lego Batman 2 and Lego The Lord of the Rings. I've only tested 4x, but it works fine with 0x004010C1 as long as the AA fix is enabled and the AA behavior flags are removed.
    Settings used:
    [​IMG]
    Result:
    [​IMG]
    On that matter, the AA fix is probably required for all Lego games that use the 2011 or later version of the engine (first used with Lego Star Wars III) when shaders are set to anything other than low (potentially not even low for Marvel 1 and Hobbit, haven't tested). I verified the necessity on Lord of the Rings and the Demos for Lego Harry Potter Years 5-7, Lego Pirates of the Caribbean, and Lego Batman 2. I verified that it was not necessary in the demo for Lego Indiana Jones 1.

Blurry TrSGSSAA
    As OpenGL titles, Doom 64 EX and Sven Co-op fall victim to blurry TrSGSSAA. Fortunately, HSAA seems to work fine.
    Ion Maiden/Fury does not have any blurring issues, despite being OpenGL. The preview demo seemed to have a bug where certain edges would only have MSAA's algorithm applied instead of SGSSAA's, but I cannot replicate that on the release build.

DirectX 11
    In Forsaken Remastered, the in-game MSAA can be enhanced with SGSSAA, but only in DirectX 11 mode. Interestingly, it actually seems to ignore the "Antialiasing - Mode" bits, applying the SGSSAA even if set to "Application-controlled". This caused some confusion when I was trying to figure out if the in-game resolution scaler could exceed 100%. This might actually be normal for DirectX 11, as the same seems to happen with games running through DgVoodoo.

Other questions
    I noticed that the Google Sheet lists compatibility bits for Republic Commando. Aren't compatibility bits unnecessary for for DirectX 8- games?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019 at 3:06 AM
  19. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    I would have to go dig out my disc as I wasn't one who tested that game. But there have been scenarios where bits do actually affect DX8 games. Can't remember any specifically though. Unreal 2 maybe? I don't remember.

Thanks for the post. I will add the information.

Do you have any pictures of Doom 64Ex and any comparison On/Off shots for that game or Ion fury/maiden?