NVidia Anti-Aliasing Guide (updated)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyberdyne, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Zaxxon3D

Zaxxon3D New Member

GPU:
    GeForce 980 Ti
    Reviving this old post because I found a way to use DSR in nullDC. Even though emusa found a solution using those old multi-letter AA methods (eg sgssaa), I believe that DSR is even better.

First thing to do is enable DSR resolutions in the NVIDIA control panel. Then set the desktop resolution to the DSR resolution. In my case, I have a 1080p TV, so I set the desktop to 4k. Also, it's normal for the UI to look a little blurry at this point.

The next part is crucial: Go into the display properties and look for the slider "Change the size of text, apps..." For me, it shot up to 225% after I set the desktop to the DSR resolution. You need to make sure this is 100%. There is no full-screen resolution setting in nullDC. I suspect it grabs the current resolution from WinAPI. But because of the resolution scaling, that's going to be reported as 1080p even though the desktop resolution is 4k .

The results are totally worth it. It works especially well on games that lack MIP mapping like Metropolis Street Racer. That was a really good game, but the texture crawling in particular was a major annoyance. Running a 4k DSR resolution downsampled to 1080p completely fixes it. :D

emusa likes this.
  2. arcturian

arcturian New Member

GPU:
    Borderlands 3 flag anyone?

3. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/nvidia-anti-aliasing-guide-updated.357956/page-158#post-5156694

You can force SGSSAA and fix texture aliasing from lack of mipmaps. Don't know if you looked at the spreadsheet or not.
    DX11 sorry.

You are stuck with whatever they give you. Awful UE4 TAA or FXAA.
    You can make the TAA look less awful with downsampling. But i'm sure performance suffers greatly.

emusa likes this.
  4. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080
    For Borderlands 3 I'm using the in-game TAA + ReShade. With ReShade I'm just using FXAA, it helps a bit. I tried SMAA but it caused too much shimmering (especially on flat surfaces like the ground and walls). I'm using a setting of 0.300 for Subpix, 1.0 for Edge Detection Threshold and 0.0 / Disabled for Darkness Threshold. The result ain't bad at all.

5. GuyFawkesGaming

GuyFawkesGaming Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 4GB
    Unfortunate. It used OGL 2.1 so I was hoping flags would effect it.
    I'm kind of in the mood for horror games ATM, got the flag from The Suffering: Ties That Bind (0x00000045) to work on the first game, Prison is hell. However HUD elements and settings sliders (gamma, volume, ect.) are invisible with this flag. Suggestions?

6. kindred

kindred Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB
    Does Nvidia inspector still work for anyone else using Windows 10 build 1709 with the latest Nvidia drivers 436.30. I can no longer get AA to work in any games using Nvidia inpsector? The Nvidia cotrol panel AA still works. Bizarrely Nvidia Inspector still works under Windows 7 with the same Nvidia driver version 436.30. So I don't know why it's no longer working in Windows 10.

7. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    I've had this happen before, but I can't remember what I did to fix it. I think it might have been a permission/owner issue.
    What happens when you don't use any flag?

If the flag is actually doing something I wasn't aware of any actual examples where it did do anything. They may not correspond to the same functions.

Try 0x000012C1

KainXVIII likes this.
  8. kindred

kindred Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB
    Hello, I've tried using no flags, as well as other flags and it still doesn't work, AA just won't work at all when using Windows 10. I don't know why. It used to work OK with earlier Windows 10 builds, so I don't know what's changed. Someone on another forum said that the latest versions of Windows 10 no longer uses a proper fullscreen mode in games and that's probably why forcing AA no longer works. I don't know whether that's true or not. Anyway, at least AA still works when using Windows 7 which I still use as my main OS. There's too many problems with Windows 10 and I get sick of upgrading every time a new build comes out. It's a pain to keep having to reinstall all my software and games.

Thanks!

9. GuyFawkesGaming

GuyFawkesGaming Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 4GB
    0x000012C1 works, thanks! Full SGSSAA. You get some flickering polygon edges, such as on Torqu's sholders, but the TF2 AA fix resolves this issue. Also Reshade works with number 4 added to the 3rd spot as suggested by the guides, without it not only does it break AA but also cause a strange flickering I've not seen before with any other game. I also found an HBAO flag, but I'll save that for the HBAO thread.

No AA (default):
    [​IMG]

SGSSAA:
    [​IMG]

Setting panel:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    KainXVIII likes this.
  10. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    The flags thing was directed to the other guy. But I did have this same issue with Inspector settings not applying.
    https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/n...duction-and-guide.403676/page-24#post-5685874

As for the full screen thing. It's possible, W10 has this stupid asinine "Full Screen Optimization" mode that is a pseudeo borderless window. It used to have a global toggle, but not any more and then disabling it per .exe STILL doesn't always work. I've encountered more than a few games where FSO is stuck on no matter what. (Left Alive, FFXIV:ARR come to mind off the top of my head).
    I

But to verify let's try a simple test.
    Download the RE6 benchmark and set up Inspector like this
    [​IMG]

And then run the benchmark and look at the performance in 1080p windowed mode (Forcing AA should work fine)
    In this scene. Look at my performance with a 2080. A lesser GPU should be tanking in the same area. (The benchmark performance is a lot heavier than the actual game though)
    [​IMG]

Screenshots on/off would help to verify.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019

11. GuyFawkesGaming

GuyFawkesGaming Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 4GB
    I remember the last time I tried to link an image in my post google drive broke 'em. Suggestions for a image site?
    EDIT: gonna see if google photos will work.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  12. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Your hotlinks aren't working. Try Cubeupload.com or Abload.de
    They don't compress images either.

13. GuyFawkesGaming

GuyFawkesGaming Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 4GB
    Fixed, thanks. I hate google's photo services, it ALWAYS breaks them.

14. KainXVIII

KainXVIII Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    0x000010C5 blit in Ghostbusters The Videogame causes UI flicker (slight, but apparent), it also affect Steam ui for some reason..

15. Tizoc789

Tizoc789 Member

GPU:
    GTX 970M
    Sorry for the late reply, I'd beaten the former game and moved onto something else, but I tried that flag for Mercenaries 2 and it didn't do anything I am afraid :X

Mini Ninjas seems to only have an AO flag from what I've read on here, but any chance someone has AA bits for it please?

KainXVIII likes this.

16. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Just try random flags listed in the spreadsheet. Your best bet at trial and error without knowing what does what.

KainXVIII likes this.
  17. ancalimon

ancalimon New Member

GPU:
    NVidia GTX1070
    Psychonauts?

18. Exaercase

Exaercase New Member

GPU:
    GT 740 - 2048
    Hello,

Thx for your answer :)

Sorry but why a Dx11 will no have AA flag (AC Rogue in this case) many of Dx11 game in your excel Documment work i put the walue in Dx9 and Dx11 combo box and that work.

And what is SOL ? i'm french so i don't understand :)

Thx by advance
    Best regards, ExA

19. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    There are some DX11 games listed because in those games there are sometimes other solutions or you can "Enhance" the game with better AA if it has MSAA built in the game itself.

The vast majority of DX10 and DX11/12 games you cannot force AA in. The support doesn't exist in the drivers.

20. KainXVIII

KainXVIII Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    About Bully: Scholarship Edition 0x000010C1 code - indoors game really looks good, but once stepping outside IQ is blurry mess (because of DOF effect or bloom?). Any way to fix it?

Indoor
    [​IMG]

Outdoor
    [​IMG]