1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NVidia Anti-Aliasing Guide (updated)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyberdyne, Jan 29, 2012.

1. dezo

dezo Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    @MrBonk: If the brand new DLSS feature cannot resolve specular aliasing, then it is pretty much useless. Specular aliasing comming from shaders is the most annoying form of aliasing in games. Not to mention that DLSS must have support in the game engine itself, so again what good is it for older games? I don't know about these new 20xx cards... somehow they seem less and less attractive for me :-/

2. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    It seems to do ok with some specular stuff, but the majority no. And the UE4 example videos show this much worse than the FFXV video.
    I agree for the most part. Again we have something tuned for the fastest performance possible, rather than the best quality. Though they make claims about quality.
    It's still imo preferrable at least what I have seen, compared to FFXV's TAA.
    If people are claiming to be getting AA from the driver and that game, they are lying or aren't providing real proof. It is impossible to force MSAA/SGSSAA in DX11 games. (With very minor exceptions). There is nothing in the driver to do so, unless the game has MSAA support built into it.

3. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT/GTX 1060
    Mods please pin this.

Susahamat likes this.
  4. KainXVIII

KainXVIII Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Some confirmation needed, is this bit 0x000002C1 works well for Risen 1? Can't understand this from google translation of reference link o_O
    Nvidia DSR works, but some UI elements does not scale, shame! :oops:

5. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    You must not be doing something right. I just redownloaded Risen and verified that 2C1 does indeed work for SGSSAA and OGSSAA and 241 works for MSAA.
    You will need a border shader though as there is a white outline.

Here's a screenshot of 4x4 supersampling. (With SSAO disabled. As that causes quite a drop in this game. Quality isn't good either)
    Game is still a performance hog :p https://abload.de/img/risen_2018_10_18_13_4d6e7t.png

6. KainXVIII

KainXVIII Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Well, i'm not doing anything right now, just asking if this bit works well in a long run (i just tested first 10 minutes and it looks alright!) :)
    About performance - yeah, some particle effects can tank framerate (smoke for example) at 4x SGSSAA, maybe disabling SSAO will help, thanks for advice.
    PS - "border shader" such thing exists?! :eek: Because white outline driving me crazy in some games lol

7. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Yeah, it's been mentioned pretty frequently in the past. But use SweetFX or ReShade (An earlier version that doesn't require the depth flag to be set in order to not disable AA is preferrable) to set a 1-2px border around the entire image to hide the artifact that occurs commonly with forcing AA.

You might also try tweaking the game's config/ini files for the graphics to try and improve performance further. There are options for various shadows, post processing and draw distances and such.

8. KainXVIII

KainXVIII Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Latest Reshade shows black screen for me in Risen (UI and menus are visible though)

9. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Try an old version. Like 2.0 or below. Easiest way is just to use one of the myriad versions of SweetFX before 2.0 (which moved to reshade).

KainXVIII likes this.
  10. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    In something related more sad, (Revisiting)Earth Defense Force 4.1 has AA in the menu, but it only works in the menu. I always though maybe it was MSAA based on how it looked. So today I did an experiment and tried to enhance it with 8xSGSSAA.

And it worked. And it looked so good. This still leaves me puzzled why it doesn't actually work in game. Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy must you torment me Sandlot!
    Downsampling from 4k and higher becomes headache inducing because the HDR eye adaptation bugs out and flickers a bunch between super bright and normal exposure.

http://www.screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/123036

KainXVIII likes this.

11. GuyFawkesGaming

GuyFawkesGaming Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 4GB
    I have good news and bad news. The good news is I found that for Red Orchestra 2 and Chivalry: Medieval Warfare adding a "4" as the 3rd digit in the "0x080000C1" flag that both games use allows reshade to work properly on these games with driver AA. The bad news is that forcing a boarderless fullscreen window with the AA enabled causes the pre-baked shadows in both games to turn green. Note that the issue is unrelated to reshade as I tested without and got the same result on both games; it only happens with both boarderless fullscreen window and SGSSAA enabled. Any solutions?

12. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Try the AA fix maybe? Not sure.

I found out AA for the emulator PPSSPP in it's DX9 mode. However no matter what you really seem to do, the frame pacing sucks (in all rendering backends)and the input lag is really high compared to real hardware. So there is always persistent stuttering in 30FPS games and there is no real fullscreen exclusive mode so no forcing outside Vsync and no Vsync in Windows 7 without Aero. Framelimiting fixes some of the frame pacing but the stutter is still persistent.
    Running the RetroArch core is super buggy, can't get same game to load without crashing. And it activates texture upsampling when I don't want it to.

Regardless.

0x08401243 - MSAA,TrSSAA,SGSSAA
    No AA http://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/PPSSPPWindows6420181.png
    8xSGSSAA http://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/a94PPSSPPWindows6420181.png

AA even works when you are rendering at native 480x272 resolution. And it actually doesn't look bad upscaled with integer scaling.

13. GuyFawkesGaming

GuyFawkesGaming Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 4GB
    Tried it didn't work. I can upload pictures so you can see what I mean. It's also worth noting that both games not only use the same AA flag but also both run on UE3.

14. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Yeah man, i'm not sure what could fix that. Do you have to use borderless? Maybe try forcing borderless with a third party utility instead of natively from the game and maybe it will behave differently.

15. borktorias

borktorias Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti
    Been having trouble getting forced aa settings to work with max payne 2, tried the bits in the OP and every other switch around but still doesnt have any visible change in iq or vram usage on my system.

16. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    By default Max Payne shouldn't require any bits I think since it's a DX8 game. You can try wrapping it to DX9 first. The post in the list is for HSAA (EX: 16xS which is 2x2 + 4xMSAA)
    So depending on what you are trying to force it may not be doing anything.

Also: Max Payne 2 has 2 profiles in the driver. The one with the full title "Fall of Max Payne" is for the demo it looks like.

Testing the game myself vanilla from steam with no wrappers or fan patches or anything, SGSSAA seems to work just fine.
    http://www.screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/124130

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  17. GuyFawkesGaming

GuyFawkesGaming Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 4GB
    Ironically that's exactly how I force Boarderless in Red Orchestra 2 as it doesn't include support builtin. I use GeDoSaTo Tool but issue persists regardless. Here's pics.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I'm pretty sure you can guess which pics have AA+boarderless.

18. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Links seem broken. But perhaps that is the reason why the issue exists.
    Are there other tools you can use besides GeDoSaTO and does it happen in just regular windowed mode?

19. Guzz

Guzz Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    "0x08000000" bit cause glitches in borderless window, so don't use it.
    Use a custom resolution 1680x1048 instead of 1680x1050 for UE3 based games to get AA working without a "0x08000000" bit.

20. GuyFawkesGaming

GuyFawkesGaming Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 4GB
    Yeah, just realized the images google drive's being a real pita atm. Doesn't happen in windowed mode.
    Works for Chivalry but makes some menu items disappear in Red Orchestra 2; settings menu and pre-game loadout selection specifically, buttons are there and functional just invisible. Also Chivalry tends to get the taskbar to overlap it's viewing area with a custom resolution.