NVidia Anti-Aliasing Guide (updated)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyberdyne, Jan 29, 2012.

1. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    What's funny is that I dont' get any of the blur people talk about with Doom 3. Maybe it's because of mods, because for example with the Redux mod, post processing effects from sikkmod like Bloom,SSIL DOF and HDR do make the image softer if enabled.
    The DoF for example breaks with 8xSGSSAA and causes the DoF to have aliasing, where as 4xSGSSAA does not. But when DoF is activated the in focus areas get AA'd slightly different than without.(Slightly softer but better resolve of some specular problems).

But with it tweaked right, I don't really see any evidence of significant over softening of the image with AA.

Example comparison of some PP effects being enabled with 4xSGSSAA creating obvious blur
    http://www.screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/118914|

Comparison of tweaked settings (Just DoF on Zoom and in Cutscenes along with HDR enabled) without AA and with 4xSGSSAA. There isn't any significant blurring. Text displays are obviously aliased without AA but do get some minor high frequency attenuation with AA on and no LOD adjustments. Same with other surfaces but nothing like the above comparison.
    http://www.screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/118915

Maybe i'll have to check Vanilla D3 again.

Hard to match the shots quickly but here's Vanilla vs the mod
    Very slight sharpness difference (Probably due to having HDR or DoF on in the mod)
    http://www.screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/118916

What are you guys seeing with AA and Doom 3?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  2. dezo

dezo Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080s
    @MrBonk: I know how to set it up, no postprocessing here. In vanilla Doom 3 It's not about blur overall - instead some textures are now distorted when using SuperSampling. Mainly some transparent grates under/before lights, and some light bulbs on panels when viewing from angles - it looks like doubled or something (see bellow). In older games like RTCW, Q3A etc. the whole ground texture becomes distorted like that. That hidden flag OGL_OCGCONTROL_DIRECT_NVIR = 2 used to eliminate it completelly, but they must broke it in last few drivers, because all 2D overlays are unreadable noisy mess with it set. Doom 3 is playable, but you know - when seen once, it cannot be unseen. Btw it's not distorted in BFG edition (new engine), but that version really sucks in everything except native WS.

Two sets of screenshots here:
    http://www.screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/118919

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  3. Terepin

Terepin Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S GAMING X
    Is there a way to force AA in Crash Bandicoot: N. Sanity Trilogy? Because my friend told she is using SGSSAA and MFAA by simply using "Enhance application setting".

4. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    That's weird, I don't get this artifact at all with 388.59 with Vanilla doom 3. I don't have that flag set either.
    I am on Windows 7 though, don't know if that would change anything.

As far as I know the game is DX11 and uses TAA. So it should be impossible. However, there used to be a glitch in a really old driver that would enable MFAA and create some effect in games that did not have MSAA. I don't think it does that anymore.
    So unless they have near lossless A/B screenshots to back it up. I would take it with a grain of salt. Unless you want to try it yourself that is.

TAA+downsampling (Maybe a little sharpening if you find it too soft still.) might be a worthwhile alternative. Depending on how many artifacts the TAA introduces in this game that is.

5. dezo

dezo Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080s
    I am on Win7 too, maybe it's GTX1080 specific. I know it was fixable in 388.x and older drivers by that flag, but in 398.x not anymore. I tried D3 vanilla and various source ports, all the same. Will use MSAA only in older id games, it looks mostly OK.

6. NeoChaos

NeoChaos Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB
    I have a GTX 1070, so it's not 1080-specific. Still, sad to see nVidia breaking such a fantastic feature like this - think I'll have to settle for MSAA+FXAA in OGL games for the time being.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  7. Terepin

Terepin Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S GAMING X
    CB is using FXAA.

8. arcturian

arcturian New Member

GPU:
    Any way to get sgssaa in forza horizon 3?

9. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Have any screenshots showing on and off?
    I was under the impression the console versions used TAA. I haven't played it or seen any lossless comparisons to verify it though.
    Either way, if true then yeah downsampling is your only option.

Unless it has MSAA you can use to enhance with SGSSAA. Which will be very costly and may not look great.

10. Susahamat

Susahamat Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti Poseidon
    how to make work 64xS in Medal of Honor Allied Assault (OPENGL) ? I've Tried Change Antialiasing 0x0000002C AA_MODE_METHOD_MIXEDSAMPLE_64X but doesn't worked

EDIT : oh sorry i forgot to apply Antialiasing mode - override any application setting . My BAD !

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018

11. Susahamat

Susahamat Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti Poseidon
    4x/8x huge performance cost but really quite nice
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Johnny99

Johnny99 Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB
    How do I set the depth bit?

13. iamallthatineed

iamallthatineed New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
  14. Susahamat

Susahamat Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti Poseidon
    impossible because the game updated to directx11

15. iamallthatineed

iamallthatineed New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    I see, thanks. That's too bad. Is there any other way to force AA? I really don't want to use DSR as it makes it impossible to use borderless windowed mode.

16. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    As mentioned. The depth bit is 0x00400000 The 4 specifically. Add the 4 in that location to the flag.

Nope. You could borderless window by using DSR res as desktop res. But then everything is tiny lol.

17. Johnny99

Johnny99 Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB
    I got it working now, thanks. I'm only using ReShade for the border option which covers the lines which are created by forcing AA to the game. If I use only 4X MSAA then the game isn't blurry, but as soon as I press Scroll Lock to enable ReShade (only the border option) the game becomes a lot more blurry. Can I do anything about this?

18. Mister_Ideas

Mister_Ideas New Member

GPU:
    GTX 950M / 4096MB
    Hello there,

Sorry if my questions are already resolved but i really need help since many months :(
    I can't force my antialiasing parameters with Nvidia Inspector for a lot of games, mostly Unity games btw..

List:
    Airport CEO
    Parkitect
    Prison Architect
    Two Point Hospital
    another Unity Game not very famous..
    but Fallout Shelter is working well with forced AA and it is from Unity so idk what is the problem !

I really don't know how can i force my AA to work in these games to have smooth and beautiful objects. Is there a software to install with Nvidia Inspector ? Or what parameters i need to change exactly ?

Mines actually:
    https://i.imgur.com/rNnZPxh.png
    https://i.imgur.com/eO3lxWY.png
    https://i.imgur.com/NWCb5BS.png

Thanks for your help !

19. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Unfortunately, newer versions of reshade (Beyond ver 2 I think) have their post processing in formats that forcing AA doesn't like to get along with. And can cause blurring.

I would either use a basic sharpening shader and use scroll lock to A/B test until you can get the sharpness close to a similar level (You probably will have to use stronger than normal sharpening due to the driver AA, even MSAA) without adding significant artifacts.

Or use an older SweetFX (The original, not the ones based on Reshade) with an adjustable border shader. Those shouldn't conflict with forcing AA. You can also try older versions of Reshade as well. (2.00 and earlier).

Are those games DX9?
    Are you making new profiles and adding the correct exe to the profile?(If not, an absolute application path).
    Unity games generally work with the same flag, but they may not behave the same. (Ex: Hitman Go) and sometimes have built in post processing AA that can't be disabled in game (Again:See Hitman Go) that may interfere.

Most newer Unity games are DX11 however..

___
    http://www.screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/120751

Watching the videos on the review on the main site looks interesting!

It clearly cannot resolve some specular/shader problems. (This is when viewed on a 1080p monitor too, so i'm getting the benefit of 4xOGSSAA viewing the video)
    And when completely stationary looks worse than TAA in the same specular/shader aliasing areas (The mirror of the truck when Cindy gets in for example is a straight line with TAA as it should be if ground truth resolved. But not with DLSS).
    In these instances it looks an awful lot like an AI driven upsampler like Waifu2X, instead of resolving the aliasing. It makes it look like blurry wavy line. (Feed an AI driven upsampler the same kind of material and that's the result you will get most times)
    This ends up leaving temporal aliasing behind, but it still looks a lot better in many other ways than the game's awful TAA. Which can't resolve jack in a stable manner in general. Stand still and do nothing, it's not so bad. Start moving and it turns into a smeared mess. Anything behind transparent glass surfaces have a ton of artifacts, and edge quality is awful all around. It can't handle any of the dithering properly at all, there's after image artifacts. This game is one of the most egregious examples of a harsh lighting model filled with undersampling, shorcuts, aliasing, and then expecting a cheap low quality TAA method to be able to clean it all up.

In all other areas though DLSS looks so much better, (Especially handling the SSR) and overall looks far more temporally stable compared to TAA so long as there isn't a lot of harsh specular lighting.

Watching the Infiltrator demo, the weakness of how poorly DLSS handles small sub pixel detail and specular/shader aliasing shows up even more. Where there are far more visible areas where it looks worse than UE4's mediocre TAA.

Viewing these videos under fast motion is questionable though, as Youtube's recompression just about robs the image of all fine detail in motion. Making it more difficult to truly discern the true image quality of DLSS. If we could get the source video as a download. That would make a world of difference.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  20. Mister_Ideas

Mister_Ideas New Member

GPU:
    GTX 950M / 4096MB
    Hey,

Thanks for reply!

I am adding new profiles with the correct exe but no effect without flag in override or enhance mode. I don't know wich flag or other options i need to use :(

Two Point Hospital is DX11 for example. What flag i need exactly for this type of Unity games please? Note that other players have antialiasing enabled with my graphics card type on this game and in don't know how. It is doing it for most of my Unity games and other players seems to have smooth effects without doing anything...