NVidia Anti-Aliasing Guide (updated)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyberdyne, Jan 29, 2012.

1. KainXVIII

KainXVIII Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Yeah, its was my frack up! :eek:
    Deleted Gladiator profile from Nvidia Control Panel (completely forgot that i created it) and created new (with absolute application path just in case) and all works fine, even SGSSAA!

2. Susahamat

Susahamat Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti Poseidon
  3. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Resident Evil Revelations 2

0x000000C1 (SGSSAA needs AA Fix)
    0x00000041 (MSAA,TrSSAA)
    If you want to use reshade, you need to add the Depth bit "0x00400000"

This game also has the same low res bloom problem as all the other games, in addition to an in game DoF effect when aiming. The DoF is so poor quality that I wouldn't recommend AA at native res much to be honest.
    The SSAO isn't totally terrible however. Too bad you can't disable it, i'd really like to get HBAO working. But no need for double AO.

It also doesn't have the dumb resolution lock Revelations 1 had. (Almost as bad though, since it seems to max out at 4k. Which is a shame) However with my current DSR set up (With 5 or so resolutions, 1.5x1.5,1.7x1.7,1.8x1.8,2x2 and 2.2x2.2) I cannot get it to recognize my resolution higher than 4k. Not a huge issue.

Performance wise this game is weird. The game hits the CPU hard and the frame pacing is all kinds of broken seemingly. Resulting in stuttering all over the place(Even with external frame capping and vsync), with the GPU never really hitting over 90% or so no matter what I do. All the while it is dropping frames. I assume my old CPU can't quite keep up. Only playing at a low resolution will allow as little stuttering as possible. GPU wise, the game doesn't have an issue hitting 4k60 with FXAA. But it still stutters all over the place anyway. Using 1/2 refresh rate and an external 30FPS cap seem to turn in stable results but doesn't help 60FPS or higher at all.

Downloading this d3d9.dll https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file/606-resident-evil-hd-remaster-fps-fix/ seems to eliminate almost all of the performance issues so far having played through all of Episode-1 Barry to test. (Just stick it in the game directory) Odd. I don't recall having the issue when I played RE HD however. If you are having the same issues I am, this may be very helpful.

For best AA quality, if you can hit higher than native resolution with 2x or 4xSGSSAA and downsample. That provides the best results.
    Next up would be using MSAA (optionally TrSSAA)+In game FXAA on top +downsampling.
    Lastly is just downsampling+in game or driver FXAA. I think driver FXAA handles the image all around better than any of the 3 in game FXAA levels.

No AA http://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/NOAA.png
    8xSGSSAA http://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/8xSGAAfix.png
    8xMSAA http://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/de08xMSAA.png
    8xMSAA+8xTrSSAA http://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/8xMSAA8xTr.png

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
    KainXVIII likes this.
  4. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Sadly Devil May Cry HD collection runs on DX11 and uses FXAA of all damn things for AA instead of MSAA (Seriously, why).
    To get higher resolutions you have to edit a config file.

Looks fine with DSR+FXAA. But getting fullscreen to act as proper FSE and stick is tricky. Have to alt-enter once or twice to get it to work.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018

5. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070
    I want to replay Medal of Honor: Allied Assault (2002) again, and decided to enable some bells and whistles such as 4x MSAA and 4x SSAA. But SuperSampling is causing some strange textures stretching.

[​IMG]

Anyone know of a way to fix this?

The game uses a Modified Quake 3 Engine.

6. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    I'm not 100% sure but try setting OGL_OCGCONTROL_DIRECT_NVIR to Disabled in NV Profile Inspector.
    There was a post here which confirmed this as working and it did work for me back in autumn but I don't really remember the name of the variable which needs to be tweaked.

TheDeeGee likes this.
  7. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    I forgot to add this to the spreadsheet, but search for Guzz's post I think.

8. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070
    Sadly enough there is no such setting for me.

When i click the magnifying glass all i get is a giant list of 0x codes.

EDIT: Got it, seems my Inspector was a 2016 version. Guru3D should remove it from the download section or update the link.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  9. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    Where did you get a newer version? I'm currently on 2.1.3.4 for NPI.

10. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC

11. hemla

hemla Member Guru

GPU:
    nvidia
    I'd like to ask is it true that MFAA needs at least 40 fps to work properly and if so, is there any resource to read on that.

12. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Why would it need 40 fps to work properly? It's h/w assisted TAA based on alternating MSAA pattern basically. It should work at any fps number.

13. hemla

hemla Member Guru

GPU:
    nvidia
    This is one of sources.

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/nvidia-anti-aliasing-guide-updated.357956/page-156#post-5137412

14. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    I wonder if this changed with a Driver update at some point. Because testing Grandia II again for example, it does not happen anymore.

I cannot go back and edit the NPI thread however, as the length is too long since the forum changed software or whatever. And I originally had to have the admin extend the length to begin with. So yeah that doesn't really apply anymore. I haven't tested Far Cry 3 blood dragon again, but I did test a few other DX11 games like Dead Rising and it does not happen there either.

hemla likes this.
  15. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT/GTX 1060
    With your help just made Tomb Raider Anniversary look stunning. Thanks for all the tips guys!

16. ZabaZuu

ZabaZuu Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    TL;DR: Phantasy Star Universe: 0x004412C1 (SGSSAA + ReShade)

Not super relevant to a lot of people, but for Phantasy Star Universe 0x000010C1 and SGSSAA aren't compatible with ReShade (image gets stuck at splash screen), while 0x004412C1 is compatible and doesn't cause additional blur not inherent with the shaders used, at least to my eye (and the game only supports up to 720p for widescreen, so checking the pixels isn't very tough lol).

In case someone is anal about this, while trying to reduce the amount of bits used, I found that 0x004010C1 technically works, but there's additional blur from ReShade, so I recommend the full 0x004412C1.

Screenshot proof, can't remember if that's required here.
    [​IMG]

17. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    For AA and reshade, I would just try adding only the depth bit. The 0x00400000. As that's the only one needed to ensure compatibility with Reshade. (Even with older versions and disabling depth detection)

I would really do a 1:1 accurate A/B/C test first to see if it is actually adding blur or not.(It usually does as SGSSAA interacts with the shaders. )

Anyway, I don't see why 0x004412C1 wouldn't cause the interaction with the shaders that forcing AA and using Reshade that occurs normally.
    That 2nd 4 is "Force Shader Replay on R32F surfaces" And the driver description is Jericho specific. It wouldn't normally do anything visible.
    The 2 in 12C1 is for forcing AA on R32F surfaces.
    First I would A/B with just 4010C1 to actually determine there is a difference. If there is, then just add the 2, or the 4, and not both. Then try again.

Also:http://www.wsgf.org/dr/phantasy-star-universe-ambition-illuminus apparently you can hex edit a cracked exe to run other resolutions too.
    http://psumods.co.uk/archives/forums/comments.php@DiscussionID=29&page=1.html#Comment_4448
    http://psu-clementine.net/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1782

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  18. ZabaZuu

ZabaZuu Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    Yeah I'll have to do an actual comparison. I appreciate that information, should make testing stuff in the future a little easier.

And yeah I forgot you could hex edit resolutions for this game. Found that again a day after posting. It should be noted for anyone that stumbles across this that hex editing for a higher resolution in any capacity breaks the minimap.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  19. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Somewhat off topic, but is Screenshotcomparison.com working for anyone recently? It's been what feels like a month or so now and the site just comes up full of errors for me.

20. AATT

AATT Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080
    ..so im awaiting a used 1080 to arrive here as a long time ati and amd user, and try to gather some information in advance to not be bothered with it later and stay in the way of playing

it will be mainly bf4 so i have no need to fiddle with settings, but still, my question is regarding JGSSAA (Jittered Grid Super-sampling Anti-aliasing), is there a way to use it with a 1080, reading guides etc this one interested me the most, and TXAA