NVidia Anti-Aliasing Guide (updated)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyberdyne, Jan 29, 2012.

1. hemla

hemla Master Guru

GPU:
    nvidia
    I'd like to ask is it true that MFAA needs at least 40 fps to work properly and if so, is there any resource to read on that.

2. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Why would it need 40 fps to work properly? It's h/w assisted TAA based on alternating MSAA pattern basically. It should work at any fps number.

3. hemla

hemla Master Guru

GPU:
    nvidia
    This is one of sources.

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/nvidia-anti-aliasing-guide-updated.357956/page-156#post-5137412

4. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    I wonder if this changed with a Driver update at some point. Because testing Grandia II again for example, it does not happen anymore.

I cannot go back and edit the NPI thread however, as the length is too long since the forum changed software or whatever. And I originally had to have the admin extend the length to begin with. So yeah that doesn't really apply anymore. I haven't tested Far Cry 3 blood dragon again, but I did test a few other DX11 games like Dead Rising and it does not happen there either.

hemla likes this.

5. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    With your help just made Tomb Raider Anniversary look stunning. Thanks for all the tips guys!

6. ZabaZuu

ZabaZuu Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 10 GB
    TL;DR: Phantasy Star Universe: 0x004412C1 (SGSSAA + ReShade)

Not super relevant to a lot of people, but for Phantasy Star Universe 0x000010C1 and SGSSAA aren't compatible with ReShade (image gets stuck at splash screen), while 0x004412C1 is compatible and doesn't cause additional blur not inherent with the shaders used, at least to my eye (and the game only supports up to 720p for widescreen, so checking the pixels isn't very tough lol).

In case someone is anal about this, while trying to reduce the amount of bits used, I found that 0x004010C1 technically works, but there's additional blur from ReShade, so I recommend the full 0x004412C1.

Screenshot proof, can't remember if that's required here.
    [​IMG]

7. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    For AA and reshade, I would just try adding only the depth bit. The 0x00400000. As that's the only one needed to ensure compatibility with Reshade. (Even with older versions and disabling depth detection)

I would really do a 1:1 accurate A/B/C test first to see if it is actually adding blur or not.(It usually does as SGSSAA interacts with the shaders. )

Anyway, I don't see why 0x004412C1 wouldn't cause the interaction with the shaders that forcing AA and using Reshade that occurs normally.
    That 2nd 4 is "Force Shader Replay on R32F surfaces" And the driver description is Jericho specific. It wouldn't normally do anything visible.
    The 2 in 12C1 is for forcing AA on R32F surfaces.
    First I would A/B with just 4010C1 to actually determine there is a difference. If there is, then just add the 2, or the 4, and not both. Then try again.

Also:http://www.wsgf.org/dr/phantasy-star-universe-ambition-illuminus apparently you can hex edit a cracked exe to run other resolutions too.
    http://psumods.co.uk/archives/forums/comments.php@DiscussionID=29&page=1.html#Comment_4448
    http://psu-clementine.net/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1782

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  8. ZabaZuu

ZabaZuu Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 10 GB
    Yeah I'll have to do an actual comparison. I appreciate that information, should make testing stuff in the future a little easier.

And yeah I forgot you could hex edit resolutions for this game. Found that again a day after posting. It should be noted for anyone that stumbles across this that hex editing for a higher resolution in any capacity breaks the minimap.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  9. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Somewhat off topic, but is Screenshotcomparison.com working for anyone recently? It's been what feels like a month or so now and the site just comes up full of errors for me.

10. AATT

AATT Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080
    ..so im awaiting a used 1080 to arrive here as a long time ati and amd user, and try to gather some information in advance to not be bothered with it later and stay in the way of playing

it will be mainly bf4 so i have no need to fiddle with settings, but still, my question is regarding JGSSAA (Jittered Grid Super-sampling Anti-aliasing), is there a way to use it with a 1080, reading guides etc this one interested me the most, and TXAA

11. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    No. If you're talking about Sparse Grid SSAA then yes, in titles which support MSAA and work with SSAA. This whole thread is about such titles.

TXAA is implemented in applications, there is no way of forcing it outside of games which provide direct option of using it.

AATT likes this.
  12. AATT

AATT Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080
    ok thx

and what is about TAA and TXAA, is it the same, is TAA just temporal aa and txaa the new(er) nvidia hybrid one?

13. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    TAA is Temporal AA in general. Since it's pure software it can has unlimited number of specific implementations in practice.
    TXAA is NV's extension of MSAA with additional custom resolve filters. It's not really clear if there's even a temporal component in TXAA (at least I haven't seen anything which would confirm this) or if it's just >1 pixel resolve filter like that used in Quincunx and AMD's CFAA previously.

AATT likes this.
  14. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    There is a temporal component in the latest TXAA AFIK.
    The TXAA 3.0 sdk is free to download and has descriptions of how it works.
    There are options for temporal supersampling, reprojection, flicker filters,etc.

Which has the same issues as most other Temporal methods with over attenuating the image in motion, poor resolve of some detail in motion,etc.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  15. AATT

AATT Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080
    with the ss element it is called TSSAA and TMAA?!

isnt that overkill with the ssaa element ( i guess used for fences etc.), shouldnt the temporal element do just that remove the ill looking stuff when in motion which afaik is stuff like fences etc.?

anyway i think thats the way to go, at max using the ss on such parts if needed
    on pes 2018 prior match with the cam flying over the stadium the in-game TAA looks stable as fu and very sharp too (in 4k)

also what i found in bf4 some stuff needs post process aa to get removed like when running sideways towards wooden doors that have pattern on them, even going down from native 4k to "2k" then using the res. scale slider ingame to 150% AND msaa, that visual ill effect is still there, switching the fxaa on fixes it

16. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    You can never have enough things trying to tackle aliasing. A hybrid AA solution is often the best solution. (Multiple methods, any combination of MSAA, SGSSSAA,FXAA,TAA,OGSSAA)
    The problem is often there is too little done by developers (or too cheaply or too lazily. The recent trend of "resolution scale" is the very lazy side of things) and most TAA methods by themselves, no matter how much they are doing. Are not enough.
    They often bring about introducing a lot more artifacts than they help fix. (With many exceptions).

Then there are some games that almost nothing will fix completely everything, even when you go completely overkill. (Resident Evil VII for example. The specular component is so harsh , and the TAA will often fail to completely resolve it in motion that not even TAA+FXAA+9xSSAA will completely fix it. However it's something most people will never notice. And you don't need much to get the game looking near perfect. TAA+FXAA+2.25xSSAA+Some sharpening. Is a good sweet spot. Make sure to disable reflections or just use variable reflections. As the quality is poor and adds a huge amount of aliasing to the game)

17. Terepin

Terepin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 Ti
    If I use 2x2 SSAA + 4x MSAA, how many transparency supersampling I have to use?

18. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    You don't have to use anything. Try it for yourself and see if it's good enough for you.

Generally, 2x2+4x will give you 2x2 supersampling for transparent surfaces and this is enough for most people.

19. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Yeah. If you noticealpha test objects are still a problem then try adding 2xTrSSAA.
    If shader/specular aliasing is a big problem still, a better solution is to use 2x2 DSR+SGSSAA instead. As the driver resolve for using 2x2+SGSSAA tends to leave too much aliasing behind in most cases.

20. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Hey all. I just started playing Titan Quest Anniversary Edition with a friend and the AA and AO settings are no longer working. The last time I played the game I was on Windows 10 1709 with driver version 391.65 and it worked perfectly. Now that I'm on Windows 1803 the game menus just flicker a bunch and no AA is applied. I tried using DSR to play in 4k and higher but then the game has all kinds of UI issues no matter what in game UI size I choose, so using my native 1080p with 8xAA via NPI was ideal.

Does anybody have any ideas or things I can try to get it working again? In the last few hours I've tried going back to several older drivers (378.92, 382.53, 385.69 and 387.92) and they all do the same thing, which makes me think it may have been going from 1709->1803 that broke some older games. If anybody could test it out with the settings in the AA guide and let me know what happens for them that would be awesome.

EDIT - After several hours of testing, I've got it working again. I'm on the most recent Windows 10 (17134.48) and a clean install of driver version 397.64. First off, the main change comes from the fact that it always used to work fine using NPI "override the application setting" for AA and turning off AA in game. For whatever reason (game update, Windows changes, driver changes) I have to turn on the in game AA and tell NPI to enhance it. I'm pretty sure the AO is back to working now that there aren't other conflicts between the game engine and NPI settings regarding AA.

I also had to have steam verify the game files before AA and AO settings were working again, even though I haven't touched or modded the game at all and it said no files were replaced.

Last edited: May 21, 2018