NVidia Anti-Aliasing Guide (updated)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyberdyne, Jan 29, 2012.

1. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    Downsampling isn't doing much with the shimmer in shadow warrior 2, it's quite like alien isolation in that regard, sadly. the front grill of lo wang's car at the start of the game is a good example of what I mean.

2. jiminycricket

jiminycricket Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    That's what I meant.

3. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Bad shader aliasing unfortunately. Not many TAA techniques handle it well without mangling something else in the process.

And based on the meh SSAA in FWH's previous games. Shouldn't really expect any less.

4. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Most likely high native resolutions and/or DSR is the best way to go.
    Ingame SSAA settings are usually somewhat all over the place in terms of quality.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016

5. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Unfortunately that is true. It's a strange time. When they realize crappy basic PPAA or TAA isn't enough on it's own. And the same is true of MSAA+performance issues vs quality.

But then they implement SSAA in the laziest ways.

6. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Titanfall 2's TSAA seems to look fantastic.
    http://images.nvidia.com/geforce-co...1-interactive-comparison-001-tsaa-vs-off.html

Actually resolving aliasing properly.

And as usual, MSAA looks like ****.
    http://images.nvidia.com/geforce-co...teractive-comparison-001-4x-msaa-vs-tsaa.html
    http://images.nvidia.com/geforce-co...teractive-comparison-001-8x-msaa-vs-tsaa.html

As does the (Non Pro) PS4 version. Which is a smudgy over smoothed mess.
    https://abload.de/img/amarectv2016-11-0200-yckq0.png
    https://abload.de/img/ps4standard77ob4.png

Pro at 4k still uses same smudgy AA method. But downsampled seems to look pretty good.

7. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    TF2's TAA is very blurry.

8. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    It really would be cool to be able to do those "slider over" screenshot comparisons posted in the NVIDIA guides :infinity:
    I have no idea how to accomplish this though.

9. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    The screenshots vs no AA from Nvidia's website are very contrary that thought.
    http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/190315 (Cropped from the 4k comparison)

I fail to see how this is blurry.

Now the PS4 screenshot I posted, that is very soft.
    https://abload.de/img/ps4standard77ob4.png
    It'd be nice if there was a site that did that. Like SSC. But with the slider method.

10. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I played the game on launch, and it was blurry as hell. They seems to have fixed it now - and it seems that they removed MSAA option completely in current version which is a pity.

Edit: Nah, MSAA is still there, you just have to turn dynamic resolution off for it to appear. TSAA is certainly improved a lot compared to the launch version where it was so blurry that it was impossible to use it.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016

11. Terepin

Terepin Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3070 Ti
    That's why we have SMAA 4x, but only Crysis 3 has it.

12. SapphiCine

SapphiCine New Member

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Hi there. Can someone help me with the best settings for Castlevania Lords of Shadow? I am not sure which antialiasing mode is best for me. (Best meaning greatest image quality at constant 60 FPS.) I have a GTX 970. I am also rather confused by what the TF2 fix is and if I have correctly done it. The instructions in the first post are not clear to me. New user and can't post images to show my current profile settings.

Thanks. :)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  13. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/190541

I don't know if Rust is using Unity's new TAA or if it's a custom one. Either way it looks like complete poop. Takes UE4's old method of "Take everything, and smear the crap out of it to reduce temporal aliasing" to a new level. Good lord.

I've been very puzzled why no one else uses SMAA 4x and builds on it to improve it more.

The only thing it really had trouble with, was handling shader and specular aliasing. But that might have been just because of how it was set up in C3. (Kind of how like the quality of SMAAT2x varies wildly depending on implementation. That's another disappointment, I'd think with as crazy fast as SMAAT2x is, that it'd be the gold standard that every title uses at least. Instead we are still getting games with no AA, or very bad PPAA/TAA.)

Probably don't use it more because SMAA4x requires some kind of MSAA support from SMAAS2x. Which, begs the question in the remaining games that do ship with MSAA support of some kind or use it in some way with their TAA. Why not use SMAA4x???? Why the heck are we shipping with piss quality MSAA in 2016 as some kind of solution? Unless you are a VR game with simplistic visuals. There's no point.

Ah, OK. That would explain it. Whatever they did, at least in still shots here. It looks great. The PS4 screenshots i've seen still seem to use the blurry one. Which when using PS4Pro at 1080p. Ends up with really sharp IQ from whatever they are doing in resolve. Maybe just a standard box/linear filter that would add a lot of sharpness back at the cost of some aliasing.

I don't see why they bothered with MSAA. It makes no sense. Maybe they use it in their TSAA somehow.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  14. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    MSAA is still preferable, if you have the power to use it. It also provides an option of using SGSSAA sometimes which is good also. In games with TSAA only you're limited to driver based downsampling which sometimes don't work either - like in TF2 where you can't choose any res above native for some reason.

15. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Yes, but the problem with MSAA is that they cut corners in the quality to make it perform better almost every time these days. (Sometimes devs even seem to cut corners in their SSAA implementations, like Project Cars. And the resulting output doesn't look nearly as good as it should)

Which makes it useless based on that alone. (Doubly as enhancing SGSSAA is entirely dependent on the MSAA quality of the game)Not only on the fact that MSAA will only properly tackle geometry aliasing.
    Which would be fine, if games only had geometry aliasing issues.
    But they don't the more PBR that is used. The more complex aliasing issues they create.
    Heck, even last gen games had a ton of non geometry aliasing issues.

What gets left in the dust is that MSAA (Of good quality) can be a springboard for something better than MSAA. Like SMAA4x. Or SFAA/SGSSAA.

If you are going to implement higher quality AA, like MSAA for geometry issues in this day. You might as well make sure the quality is as good as it can get. Even if it's near unplayable on modern cards. It's just forward thinking, yes it's not optimally playable today. But a few years down the road, it will make a big difference.

I'm sure there are examples of this in other aspects that people can think of.
    (Crysis maybe? On the opposite spectrum, Mafia III perhaps. Runs poorly, but visually does not make up for it)

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016

16. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    The main problem is, that enhancing rubbish developer MSAA with SGSSAA will give a rubbish result and can also be very demanding (e.g. DX11 SGSSAA in Max Payne 3).
    That is why we requested full DX11 custom AA bits about 3.5 years ago:
    https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/544701/geforce-drivers/petition-for-directx-11-anti-aliasing-driver-profiles/

Only the same level of AA quality that DX9 AA bits currently offer will be a suitable equivalent of high native resolutions and/or DSR.
    Anything else is performance right down a rabbit hole at very minimal IQ benefits IMO.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  17. mrpeters

mrpeters New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Strix
    Anyone have any suggestions for NASCAR Heat Evolution?

It is a Unity 5 (as far as I can tell) game but I've searched meticulously through this thread and tried all of the known Unity game settings and I can't seem to make a lick of difference in the visual quality.

Willing to donate a key to someone who would be willing to try and figure out the proper compatibility bits.

I have a profile I've been using as a base if it is helpful, but it hasn't done much other than allow me to see the FXAA indicator "square" and adjustments to the V-Sync settings.

18. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    It might be a DX11 Unity title.
    Try forcing the game into DX9 mode by using the standard -force-d3d9 launch option in Steam.

19. mrpeters

mrpeters New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Strix
    Ah, interesting! Which of the known Unity bits would you recommend trying first?

The 0x004000C1 seems most commonly used.

20. mrpeters

mrpeters New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Strix
    Yikes! -force-d3d9 option seems to crash the entire system!

I forgot to note, I was using ReShade previously (had disabled it before trying DX9) and it would have to be a DX11 title since the reshade dll was for DX11 and does work.