NVidia Anti-Aliasing Guide (updated)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyberdyne, Jan 29, 2012.

1. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Try C5 at the end, C3 at the end or 41 maybe. Or 81.

2. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Whatever profile you have set up in Inspector is becoming active the moment a program this profile is associated with is run. You don't have to activate a profile manually from anywhere.

3. CrazyBaldhead

CrazyBaldhead Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    No dice with any one of those. The new Unity engine supports deferred rendering (no hardware AA support) and most devs have been going that way. I assume Dreamfall still uses forward rendering though, so there should be a way to at least get MSAA working. Thanks for the suggestions thus far.

4. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Well that's a bummer.

5. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Honestly I wouldn't really mess with driver forced AA in this game.
    8xSGSSAA can be forced with 0x004000C1 without any reasonable blurring.
    But even at 1080P, this is very demanding.
    And 4xSGSSAA and 2xSGSSAA will be blurry.

DSR or high native resolution combined with ingame AA would be the best solution overall.
    BTW native 4K resolution and maximum settings with "High" AA is quite demanding, even for my 2-way Zotac 980 Ti setup :)
    http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=11108736&postcount=2287

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  6. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Man that performance is rough.
    But i'm curious. Is there a way to disable the CA in that game?

7. jiminycricket

jiminycricket Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    TSSAA (8TX) in Doom 2016 looks fantastic with default rendering mode, max sharpness, CA and film grain off, esp. in motion. And costs <5 FPS vs. no AA. :)

8. OrdinaryOregano

OrdinaryOregano Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    Haven't used any AA enhancement in a while, trying on CSGO and I'm wondering how to apply OGSSAA. I remember how to do SGSSAA, I'm using 4xMSAA(in-game)+4x Sparse Grid with the Enhance mode.

Should I even bother trying OGSSAA and if so, how?

Also, using SGSSAA seems to be slightly blurry, though gives smoothness, should I tweak Lod Bias if I want to reduce it?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  9. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    DSR is OGSSAA with custom resolve filter.

10. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    The sharpening filter in Doom creates some artifacts (I Prefer a value of 1.0 personally), but otherwise for the performance, probably the best TAA method so far. With downsampling it looks incredible.

CS:GO has a TON of high frequency aliasing, so SGSSAA is going to average just about all of that. And make the game look softer than normal.

OGSSAA in Inspector is the YxY modes (1x2, 2x1,2x2,3x3,4x4).
    They usually work decent in Source games and have an Auto LOD adjustment, so looks sharper still but comes with more aliasing.

DSR is also OGSSAA as mentioned with a custom adjustable filter. The problem will be, UI sizing changes and mouse sensitivity scaling changes with resolution potentially. Which might be unwanted in CS:GO. (You'd have to set a custom size for the crosshair to get it to the same size as at native res)

I don't know if any decent AA method is going to be able to keep up with the level of performance you need from the game at high resolutions unless you have a monster GPU. (I'd imagine you would want to play at at least 120FPS. Input latency is rather high at lower framerates in CS:GO).

I would try the 2x2 mode in Inspector +FXAA or MSAA enabled in game and see how that looks for you with the flag 0x000000C1. The OGSSAA modes have auto lod just for reminder, so it should still look sharp'ish.

11. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    =Phantom Brave PC=

This is an OpenGL game that works with forcing AA!
    Ok, so it's not an advanced graphical powerhouse, but it benefits a lot from AA still.

It's a port of a PSP port of a PS2 game. But NIS has done some great work in updating the UI and 2D backdrop assets to higher res that look great. While still offering the old low res ones as an option from the PS2/PSP original.

The sprites are unchanged, as are environment textures.
    Sprites can be filtered with what I assume is Linear filtering when upscaling them, which looks super smeared. Or upscaled with Point Filtering when set to "Off". They look sharp here, but there is a problem. With non integer scale point filtering, scaling artifacts become a problem.

This manifests in the form of uneven pixels and scaling artifacts in motion. All of which are present in a minor form here.

Interestingly enough, SGSSAA and HSAA alone or together slightly AA the sprites and fixes all the scaling issues, static and in motion. While only making the sprites slightly softer, and massively sharper than with the built in sprite filtering.

There is also a UI Anti Aliasing option, i'm not sure exactly what they are doing with this option, but normally without AA and with MSAA, it does it's job in resolving aliasing on UI/2D assets.
    With SGSSAA and HSAA+SGSSAA, this option is unneeded however. But use it if you'd like. It does still seem to round off a few edges if you have an eye for it.

No AA http://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/fe9NoAA.png
    8xMSAA http://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/8xmsaa.png
    8xSGSSAA http://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/8xSGSSAA.png
    16xS+4xSGSSAA http://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/16xS4xSG.png

Sprite scaling comparison , 8xMSAA vs 8xSGSSAA (Notice the various uneven sized pixels by default. Some are thinner, some are fatter. 8xSGSSAA attempts to interpolate/average between and even it out)

UI Anti Aliasing
    With 8xSGSSAA http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/180324
    Without http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/180328

12. Ranguvar

Ranguvar Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 FTW @ 2.1/9.3GHz
    Unfortunately I can't find any working settings for Dota 2 forced AA.

You'd think between DX11, OpenGL, and Vulkan renderers, but nope.

DSR works, but it makes alt-tab and multi-monitor such a pain that it's not worth it.

If anyone finds working AA settings, please post! In-game FXAA is a blurry mess, injected SMAA is better but screws up UI/text, and DSR looks so beautiful but has issues.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  13. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    And there are your problems unfortunately, API.
    OGL would have worked if the game was rendered differently or used an older OpenGL version. (Like Phantom Brave for example).

I don't know why every developer doesn't implement SMAAT2x or S2x(Would require some multisampling, so less likely) as a bare minimum in games these days.

Even if SMAA T2x doesn't work all that amazingly (Dead Rising 3, Black Ops 3 for example)

14. NeoChaos

NeoChaos Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB
    So apparently there's a fix for getting SGSSAA in Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Athena (enhance in-game AA with TrSSAA and change an obscure setting in Inspector), but I can't get it to work. Anybody who owns this game can give it a try and confirm if it works?

ETA: Figured it out - you have to have MSAA enabled in game but override with Inspector, otherwise it doesn't work. Too bad that disables AO and there's no HBAO support in OpenGL. Still nice to finally get rid of all the shimmering in Riddick, though!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  15. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    I made an addendum to the note for that entry. Thanks for testing it out.

Wasn't there a point in time, that this wasn't required for Riddick though?

16. NeoChaos

NeoChaos Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB
    You might be thinking of the original and not Dark Athena.

17. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    I believe Dark Athena uses a deferred OpenGL engine, while the original Riddick was using a traditional "simple" forward renderer.
    So it is really kinda surprising, that forcing MSAA+TrSSAA works at all without any custom AA profiles available in OpenGL.
    And that is also why it only works when "piggybacking" of the ingame MSAA.

BTW here is some SGSSAA information for the Unity based Dead Effect:
    http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=11129558&postcount=2302

18. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Thanks for that. Will add to list.

19. MarcinPL

MarcinPL Member

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 970 4 GB
    Are there some SGAA flags for L.A. Noire dx11 ?

20. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Not possible sorry.