NVidia Anti-Aliasing Guide (updated)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyberdyne, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Eleventeen

Eleventeen Member

GPU:
    Asus Strix OC GTX970
    Anyone mess with SWBF yet?

I tried injectSMAA on it. Worked but caused too much shimmering for my tastes.

Not tried any bits yet.

Also still trying to figure out how to get the smoothest frame pacing.. It defaults to what seems to work pretty nicely - unlimited fps (i get up to about 200 on ultra except shadows down). But in extremely heavy firefights it fluctuates too much (from 55 to 200) so it doesnt feel as smooth has it could. Tried capping at 60 with afterburner but that felt worse somehow too. Tried capping to 120 and it felt a tiny better. Tried setting "perfer max performance" - which actually lowers performance which is funny because it makes my card prefer not to use GPU BOOST, and stick at ~1300mhz. But does lessen the fps fluctuations down to ~50-150.

Will try limiting fps with driver next.

2. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I know all that. UE2 never had an official D3D9+ renderer. That's what it's all about.

3. Eleventeen

Eleventeen Member

GPU:
    Asus Strix OC GTX970
    uhh did you not read the post you quoted at all?

Like I said:
    UT2004 has (and defaults to) a D3D9 renderer in it's latest official patch. UT2004 is UE2. Rather official given epic games themselves developed it.

Plenty of UE2 games used d3d9. Off the top of my head pretty sure Killing Floor, Bioshock 2 and Lineage 2 were d3d9, and they are all ue2. So no your wrong.

Even a UE1 game has a "official" d3d9 renderer. Duke nukem forever (very heavily modified engine since the game took freakin 12 years to make, but still counts imo)

On the SWBF note: Limited the FPS with the driver (nvis) results in audio problems - chipmunk voices lol.

How can ea spend millions on this game's development but not think to put in a built in fps limiter to let us avoid issues like this.. bleh.

4. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    All the games you've mentioned are running on UE2.5, not UE2. But it doesn't matter, I don't really care if there were D3D9 renderer in some UE2 game. We were talking specifically about DXIW and TDS.

5. PoeticSanity

PoeticSanity Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIAGTX 1080 8 GB
    Payday 2 bits here are pretty old, huh? They don't seem to do much really, other than cause the menu to brighten up immensely, unless I don't use any bits, and even then it blurs the image far worse than any post-processing type could. Injected SMAA seems to work best, without giving blur or intense brightness. Using GeDoSaTo to do this though. SMAA is nice and all, but actual MSAA would be nice.

Has anyone tried any other undefined flags, or maybe an official one?

6. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    It's possible they've made changes to the game that needs a new flag. I don't have the game, and I don't ever plan on getting it based on Overkill's choices. So the only advice I can offer is to try 0x084012C1 or C5, or start trying stuff on the list at random.

Also, looks like they muffed up the MSAA implementation by cutting corners to get speed in the new AC game, not unexpected at all.
    http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/151197
    http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/151198

7. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    It does work, but you have to be using SGSSAA or have SGSSAA enabled on the profile but not activated .

And or you are expecting way too much from it to begin with. It's just going to introduce more aliasing and temporal issues with the textures in a large portion of cases.

8. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Then I suppose 4K (or alternatively 4xDSR) combined with FXAA might be the overall best solution once again.
    Lazy Ubisoft :(

9. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Apparently, those artifacts only happen with PCSS Shadows i've heard.

Which is funny, either that was on purpose or A.Cut corners or they simply somehow missed it.

10. teppic

teppic Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980
    Are there any Windows 10 drivers that actually work properly with the various custom AA techniques?

I've noticed issues with even basic MSAA too, faint black lines that appear on surfaces that shouldn't have seams. I've noticed it in lots of games from World of Warcraft to Skyrim. It's affected all versions of the Windows 10 drivers I've tried.

11. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Does that happen even with their own built in AA?

It's possible stuff is messed up in W10

12. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Shadow Complex Remastered: Finally a UE3 game that has an FXAA toggle that actually works for once!

The other effects in the ini work too. Though disabling DOF will also still disable Bloom/tone mapping/color correction.
    http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/153057

Though it may be worthwhile to use ReShade to replace these. (Minus DOF) because with 4xSGSSAA on, the Post Processing costs 50+FPS in one scene at 768p. And the Bloom and DoF are obscenely low res and flicker like nuts. Unless you play at super high resolution.

DX11 actually performs better. At 5464x3072 with the built in AO disabled, in an intense scene I could only get around 15FPS on my 980 with only FXAA in DX9.

In DX11 in the same scene I could get 30-40FPS.

0x080000C1 works for SGSSAA, but the performance isn't good and the DoF/Bloom ruin it. As well edge quality isn't the best.

Not surprising I guess considering how bad it performed on the 360 originally.
    I suggest in game FXAA + the DX11 path and DSR. BUT, part of the UI scales with resolution. So it's absurdly TINY at high res.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  13. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I see no issues with AA in Win10 beyond what always were there in Win7/8 previously.

14. teppic

teppic Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980
    With plain MSAA I'm seeing issues is some games (on all the recent drivers), mostly in the form of straight thin lines that go across the screen.

With the custom AA modes I have the same issues others have with intense stuttering.

Neither ever happened for me with Win 8.

15. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Could you at least name these games? I haven't seen anything like this on Win10 at all.

16. teppic

teppic Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980
    I did in my original post - two examples are Skyrim and World of Warcraft. It didn't happen before I started using Windows 10. And the juddering with custom AA in games happens for everyone on current drivers, as far as I know.

17. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    -Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII-

0x004002C1 - SGSSAA only.
    Game only supports 5 resolutions. If it doesn't support yours. I don't think AA will work with the scaling.

If you need some performance back, turn the Shadowing or Lighting back to "Standard". Should save a little bit of GPU usage.

A negative LOD will add some sharpness but will cause more shimmering.

No AA http://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/LRFF1320151210114021.png
    4xSGSSAA http://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/LRFF1320151210130431.png
    8xSGSSAA http://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/04002C18xg.png

Additional information:

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
  18. ezodagrom

ezodagrom Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1660 Ti 6GB
    Seems like it's not working at all for me.
    In-game: http://abload.de/img/lrff132015-12-1102-31zgqv7.jpg
    Inspector: http://i.imgur.com/6q39tTy.jpg

EDIT: Switching resolution made it work somehow, and switching back kept the changes...

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  19. teppic

teppic Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980
    Couple of questions:

When you force AA (SGSSAA or anything else) in DX8/9 titles, are you supposed to leave in game AA enabled or disabled? Does it make any difference if the game itself doesn't support AA, or is limited to x4 or something?

What's the difference between enhancing and forcing in DX8/9 games?

For DX10/11 games, since forcing doesn't ever work at all, what can you actually do? Does enhance change anything at all?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
  20. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    In 99% of the cases, it is necessary to disable all ingame AA options (including post AA) when forcing driver SGSSAA with a custom DX9 AA profile.
    Otherwise you might encounter blurring or lighting issues, or AA simply not working at all.
    And enhancing ingame MSAA settings typically results in much lower AA quality than forcing with a custom driver profile.

In DX10 and higher, you can try to enhance ingame MSAA with SGSSAA but the result will be completely dependent on the quality of the ingame MSAA.

[​IMG]