1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NVidia Anti-Aliasing Guide (updated)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyberdyne, Jan 29, 2012.

1. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070
    Has anyone been able to force some proper Anti-Aliasing in Heroes of the Storm?

2. daninthemix

daninthemix Member

GPU:
    GTX 970
    So a bunch of games in the master list say "NEEDS AA fix" - what is this AA fix it's talking about?

3. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    The OP hasn't been updated in a very long time. I can only update the actual document itself. So sorry it's not made very clear.

It was originally only made for TF2,and was a hidden setting until it was discovered it could fix a number of issues for certain games.

If you are using any version of Inspector from the last year or two, you should have it easily visible
    [​IMG]

4. ahmlet

ahmlet Member

GPU:
    980 ti g1gaming
    Hi, I just tried submerged, a beatiful "ico" inspired game, pure exploration. And the alising is quite noticeable. Do anybody know about a good antialising fix for unreal engine 4 games?

5. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Aside from using UE4 Temporal AA (If the game has it) with downsampling (DSR). NOPE Sorry :/

Developers and Engine Developers only care about getting what quality they can for as little cost as possible. HQ doesn't matter when it comes to AA to them

6. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    I have wondered whether MFAA will benefit SGSSAA performance in anyway. So I tested a DX11 game that could be enhanced with SGSSAA, Far Cry Blood Dragon.

The results were interesting. It seems to work statically. But as soon as movement of the camera occurs, there is a ghosting/smearing effect that isn't shown in screenshots.

The lower level of SGSSAA, the worse it looks.

So, so far at least in this case. Not useable. Not that I didn't expect this, since from what I recall, SGSSAA is coded to precisely match the sampling points and grid from the MSAA component. And since MFAA changes this every frame it messes it up

EDIT:

It turns out that MFAA doesn't function properly below 40FPS. Below that threshold, MFAA causes smearing and blurring in motion. Even when just enhancing built in MSAA with MFAA. With SGSSAA however, even at above 40FPS it causes some smearing/blurring in motion.

One example: Grandia II Anniversary Edition runs at a locked 30FPS and is DX11. Enhancing the MSAA with MFAA causes smearing/blurring in motion.

Essentially, just load up any DXGI game with MSAA, lock the framerate to 30 and enable MFAA to see this happening.

It is impossible to record too. Recording video results in the video having none of the smearing/blurring issues.

EX: Far Cry 3 BD at 30FPS with 2xMSAA+MFAA
    https://copy.com/MHmUgH9gyeEXXcPc

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  7. NeoChaos

NeoChaos Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB
    I just made the leap to Win10 and I can confirm that SGSSAA still works just fine. Loaded my exported Inspector profiles and they were working in those games like nothing had changed. :thumbup:

8. vasevase

vasevase Member

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GeForce GTX970
    Nice!

9. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Some of the flags do not work though. Or did not seem to anyway.

For example, both Transformers games: Fall of Cybertron and War for Cybertron, which use the Unreal Engine 3 and the 0x00000245 flag previously in Windows 8.1 Pro ran with major polygon glitches when forcing 4xMSAA + 4xSGSSAA on my system. I had to change it to 0x000102C1 which seems to work fine.

Now, it may be that the original flag did not work properly in Windows 8.1 either with the v353.xx driver as it has been a few months since I have played either games. However, it definitely worked with the 0x00000245 flag with an early driver on Windows 8.1 but, as always, NVIDIA have a habit of changing (breaking?) things such that some games no longer work with newer drivers and the old customised profile settings.

I already know that CSAA and 16QxMSAA is not supported by my graphics card so in some games that force those settings in their per-game profile it will cause a crash on loading them or even a TDR (this is the only time I have had TDRs by the way). Switching down to 8xMSAA in all cases fixes the crashes/TDRs.

10. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    That flag is low quality anyway(245). So nothing of value lost

11. Cure_We_us

Cure_We_us Member

GPU:
    16GB
    MrBonk, I have two questions,

1. Does in-game SSAA affect driver forced SGSSAA?

2. How how does one go on to test each anti-aliasing compatibility flag? I notice that some in-game settings makes it incompatible, so far I notice that it's shader, SSAA, and textures. Do I have to test every anti-aliasing compatibility flag with all settings set to low?

12. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    1. It CAN. Though, there won't be many games that you can use SGSSAA in that ALSO have an SSAA mode built in (This has become more common with DX11 games though. Basic SSAA modes). The effects can vary depending on the type of SSAA used, when it occurs in the rendering chain and when SGSSAA would be applied.

One set of examples are games made with Monolith Productions "Lith Tech" or "Jupiter Ex" Engine.

These games use FSAA. Though, I couldn't tell you exactly how their implementations work. In these games (like Condemned;wish they'd port the 2nd to PC; or FEAR 2) SGSSAA actually works best used WITH the in game FSAA.

If you know of other DX9 games that have built in SSAA, i'd love to know.

2. By each flag do you mean the values in each slot for the hex DWORD 0x00000000 ?

I'm curious as to what games you are testing for :) Just because the amount of games left untested seems very small at this point for DX9 :p

13. NiscoRacing

NiscoRacing Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 4GB (WC)
    Anyone here any experience whit Cryengine 3 and forcing AA?

I have this -Early Access Games- -Miscreated- what runs on CRYENGINE 3.8.2 the AA options are very poor.

The games has -SMAA 1x- -SMAA 1TX- -SMAA 2TX- for AA options but they all look poor.

I am trying to find some Crysis 3 settings for forcing AA but no luck. Anyone in here have a good working AA profile that i can try out on this game Miscreated?

14. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    It's a DX11 game.

So, you are out of luck sorry. :|

You can thank Nvidia for that. And for developers sucking at implementing and making decent high quality AA solutions.

Your only option is to use one of those + downsampling

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  15. flipp0

flipp0 New Member

GPU:
    PNY GeForce 780 XLR8

I was fiddling around with it and settled with 0x000010C1, which seems pretty common for UE3 games. I don't see any issues so far, but if you find any please let me know.

I tried both 2x and 4x, but settled with 2x SGSSAA using a LOD bias of -0.875. The performance hit on 4x felt a little steep... I would notice the occasional slowdown in frame rate, never below 30, but still noticeable for a game that usually runs at 60FPS constant.

16. ToasTinButtered

ToasTinButtered Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980
    Not that this'll do much, but here's a video of what you (MrBonk) described about the stutter bug, on Sonic 4 Episode II and Dead Or Alive 5 Last Round:
    Oh wait... Sorry. Need 5 points to post links... but I don't have any.

Just search up " A link for 1080p fix and Sonic EP1 Textures! ".
    You will find this video in the last post (#29) on steam Sonic 4 Episode I discussion forum.

17. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Great, more games.

I really hope they fix this. I filed another bug report because I didn't reply to the last one because of IRL. But still haven't received another reply.
    I was told they were aware of it but.

18. balthier

balthier Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 @1556
    one piece pirate warriors 3 SGSSAA flag pls :banana:

19. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Is it DX9??
    Try 0x084012C1