NVidia Anti-Aliasing Guide (updated)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyberdyne, Jan 29, 2012.

1. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Post a screenshot of the profile in Inspector please. And are you using mods?

2. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti X Sli
    Will post a pic tonight when I get back home. No mods except for the unofficial patch.

3. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Remember to disable ingame MSAA :)
    http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=10157672&postcount=5668

4. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti X Sli

5. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Perhaps it is a driver issue then.
    I don't have Fallout 3 installed on my new Windows 10 system yet, so I can't retest this myself at the current time.

6. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti X Sli
    I am using driver 355.83, and using Windows 7.

7. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    By default, fallout 3 has a behavior flag set, I just checked in inspector. that needs to be set to off.

8. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti X Sli
    Can you post a screenshot of what needs to be switched off?

9. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    the default profile looks like this:

this needs to be set to "none" when you are overriding AA in games in my experience.

[​IMG]

Also, might be wise to ditch your old profile imports and try modifying the default profile again.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  10. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti X Sli
    Thanks, will give it a try later.

Just checked, my profile already had that option set to none.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015

11. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    OK. So I took a look at this and have found working AA :D:banana:

I will post my results later

12. emusa

emusa Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 780 (1140/6600 OC)
    Great can't wait :grin2:

13. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    ==NullDC==
    8xMSAA | BIOS | Soul Calibur | Character portrait |Texture lines (Only happens with MSAA)
    8xSGSSAA | BIOS | Soul Calibur | Character portrait

SGSSAA looks really nice in this emulator. MSAA is pretty good too though actually. It even gets shadows.

It's important though, that when AA is enabled. Don't go into the emulator menu and change a lot of settings. This will cause a memory leak of sorts where the VRAM usage just gets bigger and bigger

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  14. emusa

emusa Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 780 (1140/6600 OC)
    Looks awesome MrBonks! Thanks I'm gonna check it out soon and will report back my findings :)

EDIT: It's not possible to select SGSSAA without selecting MSAA as well, right? I thought because SGSSAA gets its sample coordinates from the MSAA samples. source: link.

Or can I select SGSAA seperate from MSAA and still get good results?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  15. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex

16. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    http://www.theastronauts.com/2015/09/the-vanishing-of-ethan-carter-redux-out-now/

The UE4 version of Ethan Carter is out now and it has quite a few AA options. They are all PPAA and a stupidly named SSAA mode.

However they work fairly well and there are different methods available to suit your needs.

UE4's TAA without SSAA or downsampling looks awful though. If you pause the game for example you'll see the usual UE4 TAA flickering back and forth.

In motion though things get weird as rather than being temporally stable, most everything looks like it's warping together. It's extremely bizarre. It looks as I said more like things in the image (Grass especially) are in motion producing a warp like effect like a video filter. It's hard to describe.

With 4xSSAA enabled (200% Resolution scale). It looks a LOT better. Though there is still some very minor of the warping effect left. And other minor details tend to sort of badly blend together even then. It's a little harder to see in motion with SSAA. But it's still there. Though at least it doesn't flicker and crawl madly like UE4 TAA normally does.

SMAAT2x is a decent alternative with slightly more temporal aliasing left even with SSAA.

Overall though, it's nice to see a developer actually care about decent AA and offering different solutions. (Though really it's the built in SSAA that makes it all worthwhile)

There is even a Temporal FXAA mode o_O. It's not amazing but interesting none the less.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  17. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    But not really that surprising, since "The Astronauts" also had quite excellent AA options in the original Ethan Carter.
    Ingame MSAA (+Alpha to Coverage) in vanilla Ethan Carter is among the best I have seen in a UE3 game.

And also they are not charging their customers for this "remake" like most other developers (Sleeping Dogs, Metro Redux etc.).
    Great developer IMO :)

18. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    - Flame Over -
    *Needs AA Fix*
    0x004000C1 - SGSSAA, OGSSAA,"MIXEDSAMPLE 6X" (HSAA+SG works but is not recommended. It doesn't add anything of value for the performance. Use DSR instead)
    0x004100C1 - MSAA
    This game runs on Unity so a flag is easy.
    What is interesting though is that it doesn't seem to have the standard AA included with most Unity games. FXAA. It looks similar to MSAA almost. Hard to say. It might be minor FSAA. The performance impact is very very small. (The MixedSample 6x mode in the driver provides slightly better AA and has the next smallest impact on performance) Furthermore you can use the in-game AA and forced AA at the same time and there is no conflict at all. Nor any quality gain.

Another thing is the bloom isn't very good. For some reason it causes a lot of banding. And at high resolutions it becomes problematic.
    Ex: 2x2 with bloom on

If these pictures disappear at some point I apologize. I have lost access to my minus account and they will not respond to any of my emails. Cubeupload is also being weird right now. I've been getting an error for about the last week or so when trying to upload anything. (Isn't the first time but they are looking into it. And hey it's free. It's a great site though. I'd pay a subscription for it)

No AA

In game AA
    8xMSAA
    MIXEDSAMPLE 6X
    8xSGSSAA
    32xS+8xSGSSAA
    4x4 OGSSAA
    2x2 DSR + 4xSGSSAA

19. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080