NVidia Anti-Aliasing Guide (updated)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyberdyne, Jan 29, 2012.

1. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    - Flame Over -
    *Needs AA Fix*
    0x004000C1 - SGSSAA, OGSSAA,"MIXEDSAMPLE 6X" (HSAA+SG works but is not recommended. It doesn't add anything of value for the performance. Use DSR instead)
    0x004100C1 - MSAA
    This game runs on Unity so a flag is easy.
    What is interesting though is that it doesn't seem to have the standard AA included with most Unity games. FXAA. It looks similar to MSAA almost. Hard to say. It might be minor FSAA. The performance impact is very very small. (The MixedSample 6x mode in the driver provides slightly better AA and has the next smallest impact on performance) Furthermore you can use the in-game AA and forced AA at the same time and there is no conflict at all. Nor any quality gain.

Another thing is the bloom isn't very good. For some reason it causes a lot of banding. And at high resolutions it becomes problematic.
    Ex: 2x2 with bloom on

If these pictures disappear at some point I apologize. I have lost access to my minus account and they will not respond to any of my emails. Cubeupload is also being weird right now. I've been getting an error for about the last week or so when trying to upload anything. (Isn't the first time but they are looking into it. And hey it's free. It's a great site though. I'd pay a subscription for it)

No AA

In game AA
    8xMSAA
    MIXEDSAMPLE 6X
    8xSGSSAA
    32xS+8xSGSSAA
    4x4 OGSSAA
    2x2 DSR + 4xSGSSAA

2. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  3. Bradders684

Bradders684 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti GAMING
  4. Terepin

Terepin Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3070 Ti
    Seriously? TAA+200% resolution scaling gives the PERFECT AA.

5. GhostWind

GhostWind Active Member

GPU:
    R9 380 4GB
    Any A-A settings for Shadow of Mordor and Metal Gear 5 TPP?

6. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    TAA has blurring and smearing problems that SMAA T2x doesn't. It also has flickering issues that the other AA modes don't. Even with 200% scale.

SMAAT2x with DSR looks better IMO.

And statically IQ is virtually the same
    http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/143614
    (Though you can see that individual blades of grass up close to the left are less distinctive with TAA. Many are smeared together. Where as with the prior comparison http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/143525 a Bicubic filter better resolves the detail in the grass blades with SMAAT2X without smearing them together.)

Here are a few more examples.

At 30FPS moving the camera back and forth fast SMAAT2x has no issues. Other than general mediocrity in still shot.

Where as you can see in TAA there are some parts that are sharp and then all of a sudden it gets blurry and things are smeared together

Camera Panning SMAAT2x http://abload.de/img/fastsmaat2x2loiy.png
    Camera Panning TAA http://abload.de/img/fasttaa67qlw.png

They are both viable. Just a matter of preference /shrug.

SoM has built in SSAA IIRC.

And Metal Gear. NOPE. You can thank KojimaPro for simply not caring about AA for that. Your only option is DSR + built in FXAA or injected SMAA>.

Heck, even SMAAT2x would've been welcome in that game and wouldn't require that much effort. It's better than FXAA when there aren't issues and temporal artifacts. (Which Ethan Carter for example exhibits none of that I can find except at 30FPS there is some faint flickering in certain areas that 60FPS doesn't have. Where as TAA has it on both.) Even though on it's own it's mediocre.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  7. Terepin

Terepin Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3070 Ti
    Waiting for Soma bits. :)

8. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    I believe SOMA is OpenGL, just like previous titles released by Frictional Games:
    https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-30457-post-323128.html#pid323128

This makes driver forced AA impossible, and in this API the only option is to enhance ingame MSAA settings with TrSSAA (TrSSAA in OpenGL has the same effect as SGSSAA in DX).
    But since most OpenGL games these days use deferred rendering, traditional MSAA is impossible or very difficult to implement.

In "Amnesia: The Dark Descent" I had great results with DSR combined with driver forced FXAA (ingame edge smoothing disabled).
    You might want to try that in SOMA :)

9. Digika

Digika Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670
    FXAA is a blurry, glaucoma-inducing crap tho

10. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Depends on the situation in which it is used :)
    With 4xDSR it can look quite nice in most cases.

11. Simplex

Simplex Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 2080Ti
    I tried using DSR in Soma and it did not work:
    https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-30677.html

Any hints on getting a nice AA in SOMA? I bought 980Ti mostly to be able to max AA, as I hate jaggies, shimmering, pixel crawling, etc.

12. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Very interesting about DSR and SOMA.
    But these problems have nothing to do with OpenGL specifically, since I can use DSR without issues in for example Quake Wars and Doom 3 ;)
    Still the only AA options in SOMA remain downsampling+FXAA or alternatively to buy a 4K monitor :(

Perhaps the DSR issues in SOMA is somehow caused by Steam?
    Try launching the Steam client first, and then start the game using a desktop shortcut to Steam.exe with "-applaunch 282140" (without quotes) added to the target box line.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  13. Simplex

Simplex Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 2080Ti
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  14. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Yeah man, sorry. DSR is literally your only option for AA. Blame the developers.

We are moving into an era where we are dependent on them to get off their asses enough to care about it.

And like mentioned, if you do get DSR working. You have literally nothing to lose when using FXAA when downsampling. Only gains. There are no downsides.
    All blur is mitigated through oversampling.
    http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/75337/picture:1

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  15. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    DSR works, you have to add the desired resolution manually in the cfg file located in my documents. In game didn't work for me, would just zoom the image. But manually editing the res worked fine.

Tested and played through the game fully with DSR on a gtx970, 355.98 driver set.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015

16. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    To avoid it getting missed in the above post,

Playing crysis 1 atm. the SGSSAA method works, but there are a lot of issues. sort of a blinking effect during cutscenes (in engine ones), it also occured when cycling weapons in cloak mode. imposible to show with screenshots, but a lot of anomalies occur, it even seems as the whole image turns into a negative for a split second at times. Has anyone else tested this in crysis recently? Practically makes the SGSAA method unusable.

355.98 drivers, win 10.

managed to capture one of the symptoms with a screenshot. it goes from this to normal in a split second, continually, depending on viewing angles.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  17. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Are you using modified shader mods? Or injected shaders?
    Or other mods?

I never encountered this problem.

Try also maybe disabling the SSAO in the cfg files.

18. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000

nope, vanilla max settings. somoene at 3dcenter confirmed they also have the issue. We shall see what nv reps say.

Didn't try disabling SSAO, because that would not be an acceptable compromise for me.

19. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    The built in SSAO is terrible anyway.

Try rolling back drivers one at a time to figure out which is where the issue starts.
    Then file a bug report.

20. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Annoyingly , despite having an option in the menu for MSAA. Mighty No 9. Has FXAA on by default with no option to disable it.

A lot of UE3 games released in the last 3 or so years have had this issue. It's so damn annoying.

EDIT:
    Ah, FINALLY a way to turn it off.

Usually games released on UE3 have it tied to any kind of post processing arbitrarily. So either you disable ALL Post Processing to get rid of FXAA. Or you are stuck with it.

Finally.
    EDIT: I lied. In order to disable MLAA/FXAA you have to disable bloom as well :I
    Which seems to also disable Color Grading or something?:3eyes: *SIGH*
    http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/144592
    http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/144591
    http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/144593

EDIT: Wow, OK. So Bloom quality seems to vary (OP stage is terrible, ugly and low res. Other stages it's fine) and FXAA is only forced on with Bloom on the Opening Stage.. WAT
    Comparison: http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/144621
    I also found a HBAO+ flag that works fine without issues, everywhere BUT the OP Stage. Where it has the horizontal lines artifact and flickers on and off.

They get my forgiveness only for the fact they are launching on 10 platforms simultaneously!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015