NVidia Anti-Aliasing Guide (updated)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyberdyne, Jan 29, 2012.

1. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    I find that extremely hard to believe. 32C0 9/10 times for MSAA requires nearly as much performance as SGSSAA and no where near the quality. It's usually not worth it. And is entirely possible that it causes glitches

2. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    So have you tried it with JUST MSAA? No one has reported these issues when using SGSSAA.

3. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    I'll add this thanks.

4. Yongkykun

Yongkykun Member

GPU:
    GTX 770M 3GB
    I have. I have tried all of your suggestions and more. My suspicion is with the driver and the game engine itself.

5. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    So does it happen with no AA too then? I don't recall seeing you say if it did.

6. bokeh4096

bokeh4096 Member

GPU:
    GTX 970 4GB
    I installed RE6 to test it and enabled the AA fix and I see what you mean, the DoF looks terribly aliased! (Although I didn't also test it with AA fix disabled to see the difference).

7. cyberbeing

cyberbeing Active Member

GPU:
    Galaxy GTX 770 2GB
    Yes, the issue occurs without any AA, using in-game settings only. You can sometimes see particle effects through mountains and such. I didn't actually pay much attention to it until Yongkykun mentioned it.

I think I figured out the cause. The bug has a chance of occurring when your in-game FPS is not a solid 60fps or 30fps, without any fluctuations above or below. For example, the bug occurs when I use VSync on my 120Hz monitor with a solid 120fps using in-game defaults only. If I disable VSync, resulting in 150fps, no bug. If I limit the framerate to 60fps or 30fps, no bug.

If I use SGSSAA, OGSSAA, or MSAA which reduce my framerate between 60-120fps, the bug occurs. If I then limit my framerate to 60fps, no bug. If I used even more intense settings which reduce my framerate below 30-60fps, the bug occurs. If I then limit my framerate to 30fps, no bug.

They've already fixed a couple such bugs in patchs which were causing the Xenoverse Graphics Engine to misbehave when rendering over 30fps with VSync enabled (i.e. game console fps). They still have the bug with the Kamicolo z-soul, where the HP regen rate is faster at higher framerates. I've seen a couple others mentioned on the gamefaqs forums as well. So it seems safe to assume, this behavior must be yet another framerate-related bug in the Xenoverse engine.

After some testing, I think I've found a solution which always seems to work with any setting and framerate. Set the following in your Xenoverse profile:

*Maximum Pre-Rendered Frames = 1 (As far as I can tell, doing this fixes the bug with all combinations of settings and framerates)

Edit: After testing a bit more, while Maximum Pre-Rendered Frames = 1 does fix the bug, it can cause stuttering with Standard VSync enabled if you do not have a stable framerate. If you use Adaptive VSync along with a Framerate limiter set your VSync rate, it should prevent such issues.

Other less reliable solutions, if you don't want to do the above include doing one or more of the following:

*Set the in-game Framerate limiter to 60fps or 30fps. (only works if you never drop below these rates)
    *Disable VSync (only works if your refresh rate is >=60Hz, and your framerate never drops below your refresh)
    *Set a framerate limiter in nvinspector or otherwise. (At certain framerate limits the bug will disappear)

Since this bug is framerate dependent, it can occur with any settings.

The bug occurs with SGSSAA (any AA bits)
    The bug occurs with OGSSAA (any AA bits)
    The bug occurs with MSAA (any AA bits)
    The bug occurs with in-game FXAA
    The bug occurs with injected SMAA
    The bug occurs without any AA
    ...assuming your in-game performance falls within certain FPS ranges

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  8. Yongkykun

Yongkykun Member

GPU:
    GTX 770M 3GB
    Sorry, been posting this problem in a number of different forums. Yes, it does happen without AA and/or FXAA (in-game). Though the problem can sometimes disappears for a brief moment and then pop back in when played without AA.

Interesting find, cyberbeing! I'll give it a try once I'm back from work! Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  9. Yongkykun

Yongkykun Member

GPU:
    GTX 770M 3GB
    YES! Tried it and thank you so very very much man! It works!

I set the Maximum Pre-Rendered Frames to 1 and set the framerate to 30 (which to my eye is good enough) and the game runs and looks as it was intended! THANK YOU!!!

10. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Hm? So no bugs with that set?

I wonder if it will get fixed in a patch.

If you wouldn't mind making a formal post for the MSAA with screenshots (100%JPG or PNG plz) including the information about pre-rendered frames and frame limits and stuff to minimize issues. I can add it to the list.

11. cyberbeing

cyberbeing Active Member

GPU:
    Galaxy GTX 770 2GB
  12. Sir Parmesan

Sir Parmesan New Member

GPU:
    GTX 880M
    First of all, thank you cyberbeing !

You gave useful informations right there.

Unfortunately, it seems that "Maximum pre-rendered frames : 1" won't work for me. It just does nothing, no stuttering either. (I use inspector Vsync)

Bugs with portal and ki effects seen through moutains, as well as trunks being a bit visually elusive, still occur.

---
    In fact I managed to get rid of the bugs, but there was more aliasing than ever with this solution so I kept the game running with the well known inspector xenoverse profile and still have those "unwanted" features.

Though here is what this solution is about :

-Running the game windowed mode.
    -Deactivating FXAA and Vsync in game
    -Putting FXAA and Vsync on via inspector (as well as triple buffering)
    -Putting Texture Filtering Quality at High Quality
    -Using Borderless Gaming to fix the windowed mode issue

With this, no bug anymore but Aliasing is still there, almost the same as using the normal settings from the game (Maybe FXAA from inspector just does not work in Xenoverse).
    Also, AA 4xS (even 8xS) seems to not be that efficient when using this setting.
    Then I tried to add a SMAA injector with no success. (it gives me weird colours, mostly red and dark red everywhere (i used the directX 9 one))

I'm fresh on this forum so I cannot post links yet so here is my inspector settings :

AA compatibility : 0x004010C0
    AA fix : on
    Max pre-rendered frames : 1
    Vsync tear control : Adaptive
    Vsync : Force on

AA Mode : Override
    AA Setting : 4xS
    AA Transparency : 4x Sparse Grid

Anisotropic Filtering : User-Defined
    Anisotropic Setting : 16x

I guess i'll have to wait until they decide to patch the game :3eyes:

EDIT : Okay if I limit the game's framerate (as you mentionned above) to 30 fps, there is no bug anymore (I think my computer can't handle 60 + inspector with no bug). But as I see a major visual difference when going from 60 to 30 i'll keep 60 + bugs :grin:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  13. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Ah I missed that sorry. Yes, just add the relevant information please and i'll add it :D

14. cyberbeing

cyberbeing Active Member

GPU:
    Galaxy GTX 770 2GB
    Done.

15. BababooeyHTJ

BababooeyHTJ Member Guru

GPU:
    7950 crossfire
    Thanks man, works great. Really should be in the op. Only using sgssaa at the moment. SSAO looks great but the performance hit isn't worth it on my display.

16. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Looks a little blurry to me judging from those screenshots.
    But I suppose it should be OK, if combined with some moderate downsampling.

17. bokeh4096

bokeh4096 Member

GPU:
    GTX 970 4GB
    Just a FYI:

Resident Evil 5 on Steam has been updated and it's a "new" port of the game that is DX9 only this time. I see references to the game having various different behaviors compared to the previous version (performance, how it handles aspect ratio in cutscenes) so perhaps it should be tested anew to see if and how SGSSAA and HBAO+ works...

:)

18. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    The Unity Engine AA flag, 0x004000C1, works fine with Pillars of Eternity during gameplay but sadly does not affect the 3D model shown in the inventory menu.

See my post here: http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=5039521&postcount=128 which shows a screenshot and the NVIDIA Inspector profile setting needed to force MSAA+SGSSAA. I haven't tried any other combinations but obviously this flag blurs the MSI Afterburner OSD as you seen in the screenshot. Maybe it will work with just MSAA? The game has pre-rendered backgrounds so AA only needs to be applied to the 3D characters (party members, NPCs and enemies).

19. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    For MSAA try the standard flags, or try that flag that above but replace C1 with 41, 43 or 45

20. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Also: Apparently it has built in MSAA???