NVidia Anti-Aliasing Guide (updated)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyberdyne, Jan 29, 2012.

1. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    DX11 only. Impossible.

2. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Figured out today that you can use GeDoSaTo with DSR.

Have only tested when using for post-processing though. (EDIT: It does work for downsampling too! Neato, this is actually a great thing for games that still have problems with only 2x2 with DSR. As DSR falls apart in quality after 2x2, 3x3 is usable but less than desireable. So you can essentially do 2 stage downsampling with DSR! Comparison > http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/105672 )

In a specific example, I was able to fix the horrible point scaling for 2D images in Ninja Blade, while also using GeDo Film Grain and using DSR+4xSGSSAA for AA.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/105670

^ Comparison at rendering resolution

I previously thought that Ninja Blade on PC was unplayable, well i've made great strides tonight to getting basically stable performance and patience to deal with the game's quirks (On for example is the 30FPS cap is on by default, but it's RIDICULOUSLY unstable. The game will drop into the 20s with it enabled for no reason. Where as an unlocked framerate + a 30FPS cap+1/2 refresh= no problem. The larger problem is that this is enabled by default no matter what. So you have to disable it every time you start the game. )

Another large issue, is that forcing AA in Ninja Blade is Impossible. But using DSR and enhancing and other tricks you can get basically perfect AA.
    http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/105669 (one example).

I'll make a guide for this soon as I finish testing and looking for HBAO+

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  3. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Hi guys, posting an overdue update (That i've had done for over a month now >_>) for

-Alien Rage-

I don't know what it is, but there is a trend among some UE3 games in recent years. This manifests in the form of what everyone would interpret as "white lines" around lots of objects or certain things.

The next game I am posting about has the issue as well. To me it seems like some kind of masking that was never error corrected or something.
    This ends up causing some issues with things like SGSSAA because it can't fix these issues. Leaving a blemish on an otherwise perfect image. Downsampling makes it smaller but doesn't eliminate it. The in game MSAA has no effect on it. And in general itself is ineffective with all the other aliasing issues abound.

In the case of Alien Rage it manifests around certain baked shadow elements and some objects. The easiest and most apparent case is early in the first mission as you infiltrate through some air vent systems. > Here's an absurdly large screenshot (jpg to make reasonable) so you can see them even larger
    Notice that they are strongest when the baked shadow is overlapping any given piece of geometry. This particular baked shadow moves/rotates, no shadow settings affect or change how it looks.

You can make it so the shadow is basically just overlapped without any proper blending by using maxqualitymode=true to make the issue even more apparent!
    It's very suffice to say it looks like garbage. Here's another example (notice the crate)

So it's readily apparent that the best AA results will come with some mix of downsampling, but not only will you improve IQ that way, effects like the Depth of Field, Bloom/HDR highlights are fractional and improve exponentially in quality with increases in rendering resolution!
    My personal recommendation is DSR+HSAA or SGSSAA. If you have the performance to spare, it looks REALLY good.
    http://i1.minus.com/ibbgCZkZih41p.png

Only 1 AO flag produces good and acceptable results. Though it's not without it's own random quirks. Such as similar fogging up close but without all the garbage low resolution artifacts
    http://i.minus.com/ibhgxQSfMX8IR4.png (Moved as close as possible to a wall to show how bad it can get)
    http://i7.minus.com/ibkDlydW75Ngfk.png

Strangely however,:3eyes: this changes with resolution. For example using 2x2 of my monitor results in none of these issues and perfect AO
    http://i.minus.com/ibyIcF4aVt8P6A.png
    http://i.minus.com/iuhqEL1m4A1tn.png
    Using a trick to get 3x3 my resolution instead, produces similar results to native resolution:3eyes: http://i.minus.com/i519H6cYL5IAP.jpg (Super high res screenshot) So your mileage may end up varying!

Anti-Aliasing:
    0x080000C1 - SGSSAA,OGSSAA,HSAA (+-SGSSAA)

No AA- Vents|Enemy
    8xSGSSAA- Vents|Enemy
    4x4 OGSSAA- Vents|Enemy
    8xS- Vents|Enemy
    8xS+4xSGSSAA- Vents|Enemy
    2x2 DSR+4xSGSSAA- Vents|Enemy
    2x2 DSR+4xS+2xSGSSAA- Vents|Enemy

HBAO+:
    0x00000020
    No AO -Start|Vents|Enemy
    In Game SSAO-Start|Vents|Enemy
    HBAO+ -Start|Vents|Enemy

4. JDR13

JDR13 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX 770
    Thanks Bonk. I purchased Alien Rage a while back during a Steam sale and only ever played the first level.

Graphics aside, how is the actual game?

5. JDR13

JDR13 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX 770
    I also have a question about OGSSAA.

I'm confused because I thought Ordered Grid Supersampling was just another term for Downsampling, but I've seen some people talking about using OGSSAA through Nvidia Inspector.

Is there a difference between OGSSAA and creating a custom higher resolution using Nvidia Control Panel or is it the same thing? I don't even see OGSSAA listed anywhere in Inspector.

6. OrdinaryOregano

OrdinaryOregano Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    Well the bottom line is, it's about - increasing the number of samples to decrease the aliasing.

Downsampling increases the samples by increasing the resolution, it's essentially a brute force method to increase the sampling count when OGSSAA doesn't work.

(Feel free to correct if I'm wrong)

7. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Another i've had done.>

-A Tribute to Donkey Kong Country-

General Information, tweaks & AA:

*NOTE* You will NEED to rename the game's "UDK.exe" to something else in order to add it to a profile. Much like other UDK games * NOTE*

Another game that runs on UE3, UDK specifically the build from 10/2011. And it ends up sharing many undesirable traits from other UE3 projects of this time period going forward. Some similar to Alien Rage.

-Strange Masking'esque white outlines/subsampling on certain things | Ex screenshot 1,Ex2
    -Many more baked shadows that are fixed in resolution and can't be increased in size (Mostly)
    -Shoddy built in SSAO that can only be disabled via config file changes
    -You either get all post-processing ;including FXAA; or NONE.
    Post Processing is toggled via "DepthOfField=" and SSAO via "AmbientOcclusion=" settings respectively in the
    Code:
    UDKEngine.ini
    Located
    Code:
    C:\UDK\A Tribute To DKC\UDKGame\Config

So this means by default, SGSSAA applies and collides with FXAA :stewpid: , as in other UE3 games like Flashback,Red Sabre,Zeno Clash II,etc.

However, while there are some small artifacts, the conflict isn't as bad or pronounced as many others, namely Flashback. So it's still useable without too many drawbacks. 4xSGSSAA+1.5x1.5 DSR pretty much negates any negative effects entirely. However performance at this point isn't very high. :p But that's just me and my GTX 570 trying to render 2.25xSSAA,4xSGSSAA,Max Quality Mode, Higher resolution shadows, greatly reduced texture streaming (More kept in VRAM for less issues) and HBAO+ at the same time hahah!

Here are some comparisons to start off including AA Information.
    0x080000C1 - SGSSAA - Needs AA Fix! (Otherwise there will be some white lines here and there. I had screenshots..but I seem to have deleted by accident)

DepthOfField=True -Cave|Title|NewGame
    DepthOfField=True+8xSGSSAA -Title|NewGame
    DepthOfField=False -Cave|Title|NewGame
    DepthOfField=False+8xSGSSAA -Title|NewGame

There are several other useful tweaks you can make to the game;

Shadow resolution and draw distance - A large portion of the shadows are not really directly tweakable for whatever reason. Changing the filtering method will change it on 90% of shadows, but resolution changes only affect shadows cast by objects like Characters, dynamic objects,etc. HOWEVER, there is a clutch, in the above Engine.ini file under "System settings" the variable "
    Code:
    bUseMaxQualityMode="
    When set to "True" will increase the quality of all of these shadows that don't scale with the regular settings, this will also increase Shadow LOD and draw distances.

Max Quality False -Map|In Game
    Max Quality True -Map|In Game

Texture Streaming - You can help reduce streaming issues by increasing the
    Code:
    PoolSize=
    to a value of your choosing. I used 320. You can also add
    Code:
    ,NumStreamedMips=0
    To the end of every "TEXTUREGROUP" except for shadows which already has it. (Just change it to 0 from 3). Do note however, this does increase VRAM usage by a large amount as per usual.
    There are 3 very usable flags with varying coverage and results! All much better than the built in SSAO. Do note though that while 2F will show bleeding at the title screen, it doesn't at all in-game regardless of circumstance that I could fin. (I had a screen of this but deleted it >_> )

No AO -Settings|Map|Trees|House|Cave|Grass|Landscape
    In game SSAO -Settings|Map|Trees|House|Cave|Grass|Landscape
    10 HBAO+ -Settings|Map|Trees|House|Cave|Grass|Landscape
    2F HBAO+ -Settings|Map|Trees|House|Cave|Grass|Landscape
    30 HBAO+ -Settings (Forgot this one.)|Map|Trees|House|Cave|Grass|Landscape

Here are some polished screenshots with all of the above tweaks with 1.5x1.5+4xSG+HBAO+
    http://i.minus.com/ictbkc6tbpiSy.png
    http://i.minus.com/iMWtsPlsGJXso.png
    http://i.minus.com/iwSwHiPXjYmbM.png
    http://i.minus.com/ibztHKd9WarnWc.png
    http://i.minus.com/ibwx5deL2fvdM7.png
    http://i.minus.com/ibpfw4VOr8uSOT.png
    http://i.minus.com/iVlb40V6cXQOL.png

8. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Personally from the time I spent test playing it. I thought it was pretty fun for what it is. Lots of interesting weapons, challenging AI, good voice acting and IMO great aesthetics.

Driver OGSSAA and Downsampling (Depending on method) are essentially the same with a few differences. (They are both technically OGSSAA)

dOGSSAA uses the standard Box reconstruction filter from the GPU and also does some automatic LOD adjustment. (Which can be both good and bad)

One downside of this is that it may not affect and oversample all buffers and/or any fractional buffers. Where as with downsampling, any fractional buffers will have increased precision/resolution due to fractional rendering.

Fractional buffers are buffers typically done at a fixed integer multiple or fraction of the base rendering/display resolution. Examples include 1/4th resolution (Reverse 2x2), 1/8th and so on.
    If in integer multiples, it might be 00.25 (Same as 1/4th), or 00.65 or any number they desire. (0.65 of 1920 for example is 1248).

Downsampling's final IQ can vary greatly depending on whether you use regular Bilinear Driver Downsampling, DSR or even GeDoSaTo which has 4 filters to choose from; Nearest,Bilinear,Bicubic,Lanczos;. Filters largely come down to preference, even though a few or even one may be objectively better than the others.

If your game's UI doesn't work on a fixed scale, with downsampling mouse input and UI size will become unplayable. Where as with Driver OGSSAA if it works with the title will have none of these issues and similar performance.

Performance wise, it can end up being similar, the same or very different on a case by case basis.

IQ here's an old comparison I did of Dark Souls with DSFix 4x4 Downsampling and 4x4 dOGSSAA >

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/106204

9. JDR13

JDR13 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX 770
    So when you say "driver" OGSSAA, are you talking about enabling it through Nvidia Inspector or another 3rd-party program? I still don't get how to do that.

10. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080

11. JDR13

JDR13 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX 770
    Check that link, Bonk. It's not working for me.

12. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
  13. JDR13

JDR13 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX 770

Ah...ok. Thanks Bonk.

So OGSSAA only works in D3D eh? Does it also have the same limitations as the other forms of AA when it comes to DirectX 11?

14. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Yes (Though some HSAA modes work in OGL too), and yes same limitations.

15. airshiraz

airshiraz Active Member

GPU:
    gtx 970
    mr bonk plz help me

i really love to combine smaa and dsr and i think its the best aa i have ever seen but smaa doesnt work with dx11 games like assassin unity plzz help me

16. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Those games usually have it built in. Other than that I think you are out of luck.

I think RadeonPro might work with DX11 to use SMAA?

17. BenYeeHua

BenYeeHua Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 650M D3
    Not sure, but the Reshade(Beta if I am right) might support it.

18. OrdinaryOregano

OrdinaryOregano Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    In regards to SGSSAA.

Is there a specific reason why you must select both MSAA and Sparse Grid in Inspector(and Override, obviously) or does selecting Enhance Application settings w/Sparse Grid from Inspector and selecting equivalent #X factor in-game MSAA(in a game with MSAA obviously) result in the same?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  19. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    You can enhance, but the quality of the technique entirely relies upon the quality of the MSAA implemented in any given game. In some games it's the best you will get (Red Faction 3, Ninja Blade for example) since forcing doesn't work. In these cases mixing enhancing + downsampling produces the best results.

But with a game that does offer MSAA and you can enhance it, again dependent on the game's implementation it will end up being somewhat mediocre compared to forced . Street Fighter IV is one I can remember off the top of my head.

I'll talk about Ninja Blade below.

20. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    -Ninja Blade-

This is another unusual entry because forced AA is impossible in this game..

But it IS possible to get extremely good/near perfect AA thanks to a combination of AA methods.

But there are a number of issues, tweaks and fixes to get to get there.
    By default even without AA, Ninja Blade is basically UNPLAYABLE. I had previously abandoned even bothering with this game and had settled on just buying the 360 version instead. I'm glad I decided to try it out again with a different mindset.

The reason? By default the game defaults to have it's built in VSYNC and 30FPS Cap on every time you start the game. These are essentially unfinished or something. Because with these enabled performance is utter crap. With constant microstuttering and framerate drops galore.

Here's an example screenshot>
    <20% GPU usage but the framerate is at 22FPS and CPU usage is non-existent. At the same time this is with a 30FPS cap forced from RTSS (RivaTunerSatisticsSever included with MSI Afterburner). Which is why the frametime readings are 33.33

You even get stuttering during FMVs of which there are quite a few.

The solution? Every time you start the game you need to disable the in game Vsync and 30FPS manually in the options

If you want to play @60FPS > Force Vsync in Nvidia Inspector and add a 60FPS cap for "ninjablade.exe" to RTSS

If you want to play @30FPS > Force 1/2 Refresh Rate Vsync in Nvidia Inspector and add a 30FPS Cap for "ninjablade.exe" to RTSS and set "Maximum Pre-rendered frames" to "1" to help minimize input lag.

The game only supports up to 60FPS AFIK, so no help for >60Hz users.

Ninja Blade is another one of those games where the developers forgot to implement any kind of scaling or anything for any resolution other than 1280x720. So if you play at 720p, UI assets look as intended and natural. If you play at any other resolution, assets become pixellated and ugly due to point/nearest neighbor scaling. This'd be OK if this was some 2D pixel art game that is intended to look like that. But it's not.

Here's a comparison taken from crops of 3200x1800 shots http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/105670

To do this you need to force 16xAF with GeDoSaTo

Here's a step by step guide to achieve this.
    1. If you don't have GeDoSaTo already, download from the link above
    2. Navigate to where you have GeDoSaTo stored and open the "Config" folder and the "Whitelist_User.txt" file within
    3. Add the text string
      Code:
      NinjaBlade           || Ninja Blade
      to a blank line. Here's what mine looks like for example
    4. Save the file and exit out of your text editor for now.
    5. In the "Config" directory where you should still be create a new folder called "NinjaBlade" (NO SPACES)
    6. Click and copy the current "GeDoSaTo.ini" in the config directory and then Paste that into the new "NinjaBlade" folder you just created.
    7. Open "GeDoSaTo.ini" , set render resolution to the resolution you will be using. In all my examples this is 3200x1800
      Code:
      # Graphics settings

# The actual rendering resolutions you want to use,
      # and how many Hz you want the game to think they work at.
      # format: renderResolution [width]x[height]@[hz]
      renderResolution 3200x1800@60
      Set your present resolution to the same resolution >
      Code:
      # The resolution you want to downsample *to*.
      # Should generally always be your output device pixel size and frequency.
      # Writing something not supported by the display here will probably cause a crash.
      # 0 = main monitor resolution
      presentWidth 3200
      presentHeight 1800
      presentHz 60
      Then you need to set your resampling filter to "Nearest" because we will not be doing any scaling and any other filter will process the image
      Code:
      # The type of scaling you want to use.
      # bilinear: what GPUs generally do, cheap performance-wise
      # bicubic: higher quality, more expensive performance-wise
      # lanczos: higher quality and sharp, most expensive performance-wise
      # nearest: extremely cheap, generally ugly, but useful to upsample retro games
      scalingType nearest
      And finally set "ForceAnisoLevel" to 16
      Code:
      # Forces an anisotropic filtering level
      #  0 = no override
      #  N = force Aniso level N on all surfaces (eg. N=16)
      # NOTE: this is more "brutal" than the driver-level override, and may break the graphics
      #   in some games. Outside of special circumstances (e.g. FF13), you should rather use a 
      #   driver-level override.
      forceAnisoLevel 16
    8. Save "GeDoSaTo.ini" and now all you have to do is run GeDoSaTo and Ninja Blade at the same time and make sure to set the resolution in game once that you are using and disable the FPS cap and Vsync as outlined above each time you start for better scaling!

Alternatively it's also notable that if you also want to use GeDoSaTo Post Processing Shaders you can also do this at the same time!

All you need to do is copy "PostFX.fx" in the "Assets" directory from the root GeDoSaTo directory to your "NinjaBlade" folder and set the following line in the "GeDoSaTo.ini" file
      Code:
      # Enable Postprocessing
      # false = off
      # true = on
      # For in-depth configuration, look in "assets/post.fx" or "assets/post_asmodean.fx"
      enablePostprocessing true

As I mentioned, forced AA is impossible in this game.
    However you still have a number of options left to you, if you don't mind a bit of tweaking.

The game has built in MSAA, 2x-32x. It's unknown to me if beyond 4x these are the real 8xMSAA and so on rather than CSAA. So caution to the wind on that one for you guys.

But because it has MSAA we can enhance SGSSAA! This does get a lot of stuff that MSAA misses, however it still has some rough edges and missing elements. One thing that always stays the same no matter what is alpha effects, these are low resolution and blend leaving some aliasing no matter what the resolution you play at.

A list of options you have available
    • MSAA at native resolution - Simply set in game MSAA level and be done with it.
    • Enhanced SGSSAA - Set desired MSAA level in game, then set "Antialiasing-Mode" to "Enhance the Application Setting" in inspector and set the respective MSAA and SGSSAA setting. So if you were using 4xSGSSAA. Set 4xMSAA in game, and set 4xMSAA and 4xSGSSAA in inspector along with Enhance.
    • DSR+Driver forced FXAA - Simply set "Toggle FXAA On or Off" to "On" , activate DSR in NvidiaControlPanel and set the resolution in game.
    • DSR+In game MSAA - Activate DSR in NVCP as mentioned above, set MSAA level in game and then set resolution in game.
    • VSR (For AMD users)+In game MSAA - Activate VSR and set that resolution in game along with desired MSAA level
    • DSR+Enhanced SGSSAA - Follow steps for enhancing SGSSAA and then just activate DSR via NVCP and set that resolution in game.
    • Multi stage downsampling (OGSSAA) with GeDoSaTo in combination with in game MSAA or GeDo forced FXAA/SMAA - This doesn't require Nvidia Inspector. Set your desired resolution in the "GeDoSaTo.ini" in the "NinjaBlade" folder, and then set the resampling filter to one of your choosing "nearest,bilinear,bicubic or lanczos". Set FXAA or SMAA in the same file if you want, set desired MSAA level in game if you want. And then just set the resolution in game with GeDoSaTo activated
    • Multi Stage Downsampling with GeDoSaTo and DSR at the same time in combination with in game MSAA if you prefer DSR's Gaussian filter - This one is a bit on the silly side but there if you want. I'll provide a step by step process for this one.
      1. Activate DSR via NVCP
      2. Set your desired rendering resolution and resampling filter as above in the "GeDoSaTo.ini" in the "NinjaBlade" Folder
      3. This step is cruical, set the "PresentWidth | PresentHeight" settings to your DSR resolution
      4. Start the game
      5. Set your desired MSAA level
      6. Set your desired GeDoSaTo Resolution in game
      7. Now you are done. If all is well, the rendering resolution should be the one you set in GeDoSaTo being downsampled once to your set DSR resolution. So in my case for example I used 3840x2160 (2.4x2.4) with 2xMSAA downsampled to 3200x1800 DSR resolution which is downsampled to 1600x900. So if you like DSR's resolve filter, this is one way to bypass the 2x2 limit and get good results doing so.

Here's a comparison of 2x2 DSR +2xMSAA vs 2.4x2.4 w/Bicubic GeDoSaTo downsampled to 2x2 DSR before being downsampled again to native (Long name but yeah lol) The comparison is cropped from final 1600x900 screenshots.

Obviously this list is far too long to get shots of everything, but just know there are options out there for you to play with to find what works for you.

Personally for me, 2x2 DSR+4xEnhanced SGSSAA provides the best quality/performance tradeoff

Now some pictures.

No AA
    8xMSAA in game
    4xMSAA in game enhanced to 4xSGSSAA
    2x2 DSR+4xSGSSAA

The worst it looked was when I fell through the map by accident once

This also works with DSR in combination with enhanced SGSSAA. So good results are there for the taking!

No AO
    18 HBAO+