NVidia Anti-Aliasing Guide (updated)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyberdyne, Jan 29, 2012.

1. pedigrew

pedigrew Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX770 SC ACX 2GB
    any way to use 4xS [Combined: 1x2 SS + 2x MS (D3D only)] aa mode on dark souls 2 without glitches?
    this option gives me a nice image quality, but glitches are all over the place :/

2. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Try enabling and disabling the AA fix.

OGSSAA modes may not work with the game.

If you are using the official flag for the game too, IIRC it isn't very good.

Your best option is SGSSAA, or downsampling using Durante's GeDoSaTo

3. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    This is a good idea. And my thoughts are relatively similar with some differences.

4. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080

5. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
  6. frankgom

frankgom Member

GPU:
    2 x NVIIDA GTX 780ti SLI
  7. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080ti watercooled
    the characters got weird eyeliner and blocky hair with GeDo enabled

8. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    It seems beyond a certain increase in ratio, that causes the problem.

But the final bits are still being worked out. As there are a number of issues that cropped up.

Been posting along the way at NeoGAF and talking there http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=133713281&posted=1#post133713281
    I'll post the final stuff in a single post when i'm done.
    Because a special flag combination is needed to get it working without significant glitches or issues so far

ALSO: SGSSAA cannot be used by GeDoSaTo. Unfortunately doesn't work with it. Never has. Which flat out *sucks* Because you are forced to compromise.

I am unaware whether it would work with DSR, but doesn't matter since game is locked to 1280x720 anyway

9. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    So, unless you know what you are doing, can detect any major glitches, and know the right combination to fix some glitches. Better off just waiting until I am done.

I don't like taking this kind of position, but I have doubts that anyone will be able to find the right combination as I have so far. Because it's something you would not think of, and it's a flag combination that results in a hexidecimal value that hasn't been used at all in any given flag for a game yet.

Otherwise you will end up with stuff like this
    [​IMG]

10. KoKlusz

KoKlusz Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 970
    It's not that GeDoSaTo itself breaks SGSSAA and HBAO+, just downsampling does, but other features works fine.

With that in mind, I think setting "renderResolution" to be the same as native screen resolution could work without breaking compatibility with forced driver stuff.

11. evo161

evo161 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 GAMING 4G
    best anti aliasing solution for Alien: Isolation ? ... another from downsapmlig

12. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    No. Both SGSSAA and HBAO+ work just fine with Driver Downsampling.

They don't work with GeDoSaTo specifically. And there's not a thing that can be done to fix it.

13. slickric21

slickric21 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Guys to get MFAA working, do you need to enable MSAA ingame - or via nVidia control panel.

Also do you set it per game profile, or globally (inspector lets you do both)

I'm trying to test it out in BF4, I have ingame set to x4MSAA and MFAA on for BF4 profile via inspector.
    I dont see a great deal of difference - if any at all.

14. KoKlusz

KoKlusz Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 970
    I know, I was talking specifically about FFXIII, if You set resolution in GeDoSaTo, in FFXIII profile to be the same as native monitor resolution, then game should work in native res, but without downsampling, so, in theory, it shouldn't break SGSSAA/HBAO+ forced through driver.

Unless You already tried this, and it didn't work.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  15. whitespider

whitespider Member Guru

GPU:
    Well there are a few things that I might change a bit. I forgot to mention normal supersampling. For that I would give it about 40% the visual quality of sparse grid.

And I also gave dx11 msaa a score a little too closely to dx9 msaa. Yet when you apply MSAA to things like hitman absolution, it makes more of a difference (and performance hit) than msaa dx9 could ever. Yet other games dx11 msaa (such as watch dogs) does not make nearly as much difference with just as much of a hit.

I guess this is why MFAA is so important, when our only other option in dx11 games is DSR. Which is insanely expensive. And only starts to look good once you dial up the smoothness and resolution to unaffordable levels of blur and tanked fps. Except in a few games that are extremely dense, like the witcher 2, which completely shines with dsr.

Which brings me to my next point, will mfaa be something we can force in games with the control panel/nvidia inspector, and will it work with things like supersampling. If not, then it's far less exciting a prospect than I perhaps hoped.

16. Digika

Digika Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 670
    Is it possible to do via Nvidia Inspector without any custom resolutions?

Aliasing kills all the fun in AI

17. whitespider

whitespider Member Guru

GPU:
    Road Redemption - SGSSAA - 0x004000C1 (Turn ingame settings to "Good" or "Simple") HBAO+ Flag 0x00060019

Ziggurat - SGSSAA - 0x004000C1 - HBAO+ Flag 0x00060019

(Also, I would add to the original post at the bottom where it talks about graphics engines that 0x004000C1 should be the goto flag for unity games, it works for about 60% of them)

7 days to die should not be included however, it does not respond well to SGSSAA, due to overblurring, unless you disable post processing entirely. The 0x00060019 HBAO+ flag however does work well with the game. No fog bleeding, and very little shimmering on quality or performance.

18. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 GAMING X
    well, according to this guy, it should also work without ingame MSAA...

19. slickric21

slickric21 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Yeah I saw that, but the pictures don't show a comparison set of images for No MFAA, so they are all irrelevant unless we a baseline to compare against.

We could just be looking at standard MSAA for all we know in those shots.

20. spider

spider Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX760 OC 4GB