NVidia Anti-Aliasing Guide (updated)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyberdyne, Jan 29, 2012.

1. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    You can force AA with Trine yeah. But the 4xSSAA+FXAA option works really well personally. FXAA works well at high resolutions (So with 4xSSAA FXAA is being applied at 4 times the resolution of your display before being downsampled. Ex: If 1080p, it's being done at 4k)

2. NeoChaos

NeoChaos Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB
    Yeah, if there's one series of games that doesn't need to have AA hacked in, it's the Trine games. Frozenbyte's SSAA+FXAA solution for Trine 2 knocked it out of the park, and I'm happy it's finally in Trine 1 as well.

Also, to answer my own question from earlier, I just tested 8xSGSSAA on Final Fantasy VII w/o a compatibility bit and it worked pretty well. I need to take some screenshots of various areas and battles just to make sure.

3. airshiraz

airshiraz Active Member

GPU:
    gtx 970
    i think fxaa doesnt do any difference in trine
    and i think downsampling with nvidia panel has better quality than trines supersampling

4. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    The 0xC1 flag no longer works with Dungeon Defenders Eternity when forcing 4xMSAA + 4xSGSSAA as it makes textures invisible, etc., etc. Is there an alternative? The game surprisingly doesn't have any AA (likely because it is using the dated DX9 Unreal Engine 3).

5. fr33jack

fr33jack Maha Guru

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    OMG...I feel so stupid :) ---

There is no need in deleting default Warframe profile. Just apply AA flag to Warframe profile instead of global...

6. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    nice..i was searching for propper aa in warframe, haha.. THX

-----------------------

anyone got the "Mind Path to Thalamus" AA bits?
    its Unreal Engine 3 or 4. im not shure right now...

Thanks,

greetz BeTA

7. tapioks

tapioks Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 780M 4GB
    Mind Path to Thalamus

The 0x284412C3 flag seems to work for this game.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  8. Bradders684

Bradders684 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti GAMING
    While you can use "0x284412C3" to force SGSSAA it has glitches.

No AA
    8xSGSSAA

You get a post processing bleeding effect that moves around the edges of the screen depending where you are looking and what you are looking at, it's not normally as bad as that, I moved around until it looked the worst. I have only really noticed it at the start of the game where the picture was taken, I am not far into the game though so I don't know if there anymore places like that. I have spent the last few days trying to find a compatible flag, I tried all of the usual UE3 flags but they all had the glitch, I ended up trying over 100 flags with no luck.

I recommend that you disable the grain/vignetting in this game, it looks better IMO and you get a FPS boost.

I was using "0x080000C1" with these shots, the "8" is needed for 16:10 resolutions.

No AA
    8xSGSSAA
    8xSGSSAA (No Grain/Vignetting)

You can disable it by following this:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/296070/discussions/0/34093781814356862/

9. tapioks

tapioks Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 780M 4GB
    Hmm, I'm using 0x284412C3 for Mind Path to Thalamus and I do not experience that 'bleeding' issue from your screenshot. I am actually familiar with that issue though, I believe, where brightness 'accumulates' along the top and right edges of the screen with SGSSAA enabled, though I only had it when forcing SGSSAA on Metro Last Light in DX9 mode...

10. Bradders684

Bradders684 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti GAMING
    Hmm, thats strange, have you tried starting the game again and checking the part with the glowing path you follow? thats the only place I have noticed it so far. It only happens to me when the edge of the path is near the edges of the screen.

[​IMG]

Could you test the "0x284412C3" flag at the start of the game as well please BetA?

11. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Since HL2 only uses HDR lighting and not deferred rendering, "C0" is sufficient.
    In general "C1" flags are typically only needed in games with "complex" lighting and/or deferred rendering ;)

Just Cause 2 is DX10-only, so you can't force perfect driver SGSSAA in this game.
    The reason for this is, that the driver lacks the needed custom AA bits in DX10.
    But it is possible to enhance ingame MSAA in DX10 and DX11 games with SGSSAA, with varying degrees of success.

If you would like to be able to force perfect SGSSAA in DX10+, I suggest you vote for the DX11 AA bits petition:
    https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/544701/geforce-drivers/petition-for-directx-11-anti-aliasing-driver-profiles/36/

12. Canzah

Canzah Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti GHz
    - Risen 3 - Titan Lords -

Anti-Aliasing

0x000012C1 - SGSSAA

No AA - http://i.cubeupload.com/YmLLSG.png
    8x SGSSAA - http://i.cubeupload.com/4YzLJJ.png

Ambient Occlusion

0x00000009 - HBAO+

No AO - http://i.cubeupload.com/5pGffn.jpg
    HBAO+ - http://i.cubeupload.com/GCef9U.jpg

Note:
    You need to disable the game's SSAO in Risen 3/Data/Ini/ConfigDefault.xml by changing all instances of SSAOQuality="" to SSAOQuality="0"

Game uses same engine as Risen 2, therefore same flags as Risen 2 work here.
    Applying AA Fix makes it less blurry, but removes most of the transparency anti-aliasing, so I don't recommend using AA Fix, and instead using SweetFX to sharpen the image a little bit.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  13. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Thanks for that. Risen 3 is a DX9 and not a DX11 game? Interesting!

14. Canzah

Canzah Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti GHz
    Engine had minor improvements from Risen 2, it's basically the same, so yeah DX9.
    It's optimized better than Risen 2 as well.

15. JDR13

JDR13 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX 770
    Thanks! I stopped by just to see if someone had a AA flag for Risen 3. :)

*Edit* Hmm.. unfortunately, 0x000012C1 doesn't seem to be working for me. Or not very well at least. I'm still seeing a significant amount of temporal aliasing with 4xMSAA + 4XSGSSAA. Anyone have a different flag?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014

16. OrdinaryOregano

OrdinaryOregano Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    Yeah I 'voted' for that already.

As mentioned in the earlier post, it was on 3DCenter someone had claimed SGSSAA was working for him in Just Cause 2 which is why I asked.

17. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Make sure the AA fix is disabled globally and for the game profile.

May also be related to settings,.

18. Canzah

Canzah Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti GHz
    AA Fix must be disabled, with it enabled it kills most of the transparency AA from SGSSAA.

19. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Is Risen 3 still using DirectX 9, which I'm assuming is the case otherwise forced AA via a compatibility flag would not work?

My, my, that is a surprise, not to mention a bit of a disappointment, as most other engines have moved over to DirectX 11 now.

20. Canzah

Canzah Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti GHz
    It's using the same Risen 2 engine with minor improvements, yes. It's still using an ancient form of SSAO as well.