NVidia Anti-Aliasing Guide (updated)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyberdyne, Jan 29, 2012.

1. airshiraz

airshiraz Guest

GPU:
    gtx 970
    its so simple(its not scientific because im not an expert in computer scinence but it will help u play games with great antialiasing )

most of games have bad antialiasing so we must fix it from outside of game options and with nvidia control panel or nvidia inspector for advanced users
    u can also fix other things like anisotropic filtering and vsync that is so important
    there r so many kind of anti aliasing but we dont mess with all of them and the best ones are msaa and ssaa
    ssaa means running the game with a higher resolution of ur monitor then like 2 or 4 times then it causes to less aliased image for example u have a monitor which supports 1980 *1080 but u run the game in 3840*2160(4k resolution )so u will have a better image quality
    msaa is the most popular because its not so heavy like ssaa but is doesnt work for transparent textures like foliage or fences or leaves of trees so u must combine it with transparency antialiasing (but ssaa doent need transparency aa )
    for transparency in nvidia inspector u can choose supersampling or sparsegrid
    for example a game like call of duty ghost doesnt have transparency aa and u can select it from nvidia inspector but if u choose sparsegrid instead of supersampling transparency aa the result will be mush better
    these flags r for games which doeant have msaa or bad msaa or to use sparsegrid aa
    there is other kind of aa like fxaa and smaa which r cheap aa methods and msaa are much better than them but u can use them as transparency aa

if u have any question ask

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  2. MousE0910

MousE0910 Guest

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 780 Ti
    I understand all of that, but what confuses me mostly is the exact difference between OGSSAA and TRSSAA.

For example, if the type of AA for a flag is noted as "MSAA, TrSSAA,SGSSAA" in the list and "SGSSAA,OGSSAA,HSAA" I'm not sure what exactly I can set up. I understand MSAA + SGSSAA combnation, but OGSSAA and TRSSAA I'm not sure about.

3. airshiraz

airshiraz Guest

GPU:
    gtx 970
    as i said there is diferrent kind of aa but msaa and ssaa are best ones and dont think about other aa methods like hsaa or ogssaa .those r just other aa methods and r not as good as msaa or ssaa .if a flag is for sgssaa it means u can add sparse grid for transparency aa and the result will be great but some flags wont be good for sparcegrid transparency and the result will be blurry

4. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    1. Yes for the most part. Don't bother with CSAA when using SGSSAA. And dont' bother using it on it's own. It's really of no use. There are some other methods tucked in there. But not always usable, and some dont' work at all. So don't worry about'em except for XxX modes like 1x2, 2x1,2x2,3x3,4x4. These options are OGSSAA (Ordered Grid Supersampling)

2. Ignore it, not many games work with it and it's mostly just a performance saving option. It applies MSAA to alpha test objects instead of SSAA

3. This is wrong. The two options
    1. Supersampling
    2. Sparse Grid Supersampling

Refer to
    1. Sparse Grid Supersampling
    2. Full Scene Sparse Grid Supersampling

The first "Supersampling" Is actually SGSSAA that applies only to objects that the game tells the driver are "Alpha test=Pass" and it then accordingly supersamples those pixels to larger buffers and offsets each one differently before resolve.

"Sparse Grid Supersampling" Is the same thing except the driver now thinks the entire scene is "Alpha Test=Pass" Hence it applies to literally everything. (And why sometimes the game interface will have a small amount of blurring when using SGSSAA compared to not using it)

4. See reply #1

5. MousE0910

MousE0910 Guest

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 780 Ti
    Thank you. Perfectly clear explanation. Much, appreciated.

6. frankgom

frankgom Guest

GPU:
    2 x NVIIDA GTX 780ti SLI
    Anyone here played the Wildstar beta, I think it's a pretty good mmorpg, today is the game oficial relase date but I'm not gonna buy it due to a single reason the developers are quite stupid sice the 21/05 patch with no reason they capped and option that make the game look awesome that's rendertargertscale wich is some kind of downsampling built in game that worked flawlesly and really immproved the image quality of the game by quite some margin, with the game only supporting fxaa wich is some kind of trend in recent pc game releases that option was indisopensable why cap it? I don't know?

7. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Murdered Soul Suspect is DX11/x64, but it has built in MSAA/EQAA(AMD??). It'll be interesting to test for results

8. bloodindark

bloodindark Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 TI
    it looks better with fxaa , as i tested , and it cant enhance 4xmsaa , dont know why

9. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
  10. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    The HDAO is really ugly in motion too. Lots of temporal flickering. Not even the SSAO option flickers as much as the HDAO on High. Which is shocking.

11. zdennis

zdennis Guest

GPU:
    2x Sli Gtx 680
    I played the beta and tested some aa bits. None of them worked.

12. Bradders684

Bradders684 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti GAMING
    Murdered - Soul Suspect

Flag: 0x080000C1 (the 8 is required for 16:10 resolutions)

No AA
    2xSGSSAA
    4xSGSSAA
    8xSGSSAA

The usual UE3 flags work as well.

To run the game in DX9 mode just add "-DX9" to the end of the "Target" line in the games shortcut properties or in Steams "Set Launch Options."

13. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Hm. Any benefits or disadvantages besides SGSSAA from using DX11??

I'd imagine the DX9 mode is only there for compatibility with the 360 but.. who knows.

You may also want to disable the Distortion and the Chromatic Aberration as well since they both cause more aliasing.

Distortion can be done in the menu and CA, edit lines 219 and 220 values to both 0 in "FateSystemSettings.ini" in MyDocuments/My Games/Murdered soul suspect/config

14. airshiraz

airshiraz Guest

GPU:
    gtx 970
    whats aa flag for assassins 3?
    its in the list but how it woeks?how can i make the game run in dx9?plzzz helppp

15. airshiraz

airshiraz Guest

GPU:
    gtx 970
    can i really enhance txaa with sparsegrid?plz help me tanxxx

16. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
  17. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Regarding Murdered Soul Suspect. Someone PMd me on NeoGAF and this is what I wrote to him based on my testing so far.

I tested a bit myself earlier. And it does work in DX9 mode, though MSI afterburner's Framerate and frametime counters go haywire. It does look very good. Though there does arise some minor issues with the Ghost Glow since it's a lower resolution buffer(There is a setting for full resolution ghost buffer in one of the .ini's. But it breaks the rendering. The setting is used for the offline rendered FMVs though (Movie settings are mentioned in some of them) so not sure what's up there.

But for the most part it looks pretty great. If you have the GPU power and VRAM, large downsampling with 4xSGSSAA looks pretty great.

2x2 downsampling with 2xSGSSAA looks pretty good too. Only problem is there are a fair amount of edges left over (Strictly talking edge quality for the most part). If Driver forced AA+Driver FXAA wasn't broken in the driver, this could help those edges potentially. But it may not. Using the built in FXAA with SGSSAA forced as per usual in UE3 games does not produce a good result due to it seems what part of the chain it's applied on. I suppose I could try SweetFX SMAA and FXAA too with 2x2+2xSGSSAA and see how that goes as well.

DX9 does give us the opportunity for easier HBAO+ too. I'll try testing that in a few days maybe.

/Ramble Ramble!

18. zdennis

zdennis Guest

GPU:
    2x Sli Gtx 680
    I always get terrible mouse input lags if I use downsambling.
    Is there a way to prevent this?

19. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    No idea sorry. I don't get any additional latency. Maybe it's a monitor issue?

20. zdennis

zdennis Guest

GPU:
    2x Sli Gtx 680
    I enabled v-sync and the input lag disapeared, really strange

I own a benq xl2720t

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014