Nvidia announces New TITAN X

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by HeavyHemi, Jul 22, 2016.

1. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    A faster card? No chance. 1080ti will be the only similar card, not until early 2017 though (my money is on Feb, unless AMD force Nvidia's hand, which I doubt)

2. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Correct. I was wrong. It was 3584 shaders. My mistake. Still no 16GB HBM 2 though, and if it is anything like the last "Titan", then no extra compute for anyone.

3. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Apparently this one does not have FP64 removed. May be more like the original Titan.

4. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Maybe the ti will be the 3880 part then? Possibly.

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    This card has the same core count as the P100.

Which means that it's FP64/32/16/INT8.

They don't advertise the FP64 so it's possible that they limited performance there intentionally, but because it's the same core count and because it features INT8 (which GP104 cores don't support), I think it's safe to assume that the FP64 hardware is there, taking up die space. There are 32 FP64 cores per SM and 60 SM's (in GP100) so 1600 FP64 cores that could technically be FP32 cores. Not to mention that the P100 has a split SM and double register/cache.

One of the things Nvidia did with Maxwell was removed the FP64 hardware so they could shove a bunch more cores into it. Same thing will probably happen here when it refreshes.

3840 and I doubt it. It's cut down the first place because it's so expensive to make and they are trying to recover as many dies as possible. There is no way they are going to sell the bigger chip as the cheaper variant.

Nvidia wouldn't put 16GB of HBM2 here, it would up the cost dramatically and just cut into their P100 sales. The FP16/Int8 support and 12GB of ram makes it huge for compute. Titan X original was huge for compute. You're probably talking about FP64, which was cut in the Titan X (Maxwell).

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  6. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6900xt / RTX3090
    This card will be a beast. I want to see Hilbert's review to see where this card stands at 4K 60hz + 60fps , then wait a little bit more and compare the 1080Ti and big polaris ( 490X ) , i want to compare the price / performance ratio at that 4K resolution. Cross fingers that a single VGA can achieve that , if not i will have to wait for Volta and Navi :/ 2 years since i don't wanna do SLI or CFX ever again :cry:. I need a single VGA for my 4K display , i will sit tight and wait ...

7. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Hysterical. Amazing contribution.
    [​IMG]

Whelp, people also believe that:
    Saying that someone will buy this, doesn't mean we have to like, or respect the fact of said purchase. Sure, there are also people who buy gold toothbrushes, which will end up more useful 6 months after purchase, than this Titan ever will. What does that mean? No criticism?

It's unlocked FP64 that separates CUDA cards and the original Titan, from what followed next, which was gaming cards through and through. Int8 and FP16/32 has never really been an issue with any card. FP64 has been. Only AMD cards and the original Titan has had this unlocked. This seems to be another take as the Titan X. Meaning you get the cool name, but if you want to use it for more serious stuff requiring precision, you're out of luck (which is a JOKE for a $1,200 card).

8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    First of all Titan X-Maxwell was an extremely popular card in the HPC market for neural networks. The Titan Black had full FP64, it was cut in the Maxwell variant because Maxwell lacked FP64 hardware across the entire GPU lineup. There isn't even a Quadro Maxwell product that had Kepler FP64 performance. So I'm not sure why you're saying Nvidia locked it, Maxwell was never designed with it.

Second, there is no confirmation whether FP64 is locked on this Titan, at least I can't find any. Regardless, part of Pascal's design improvements on GP100 is that each FP32 core has support for two full FP16 operations per cycle. Which means the FP16 performance is double whatever FP32 is. GP104/106 do not have these cores, they have cores that are more similar to Maxwell. So even if FP64 is locked, this card is still extremely good for HPC market. With the FP16x2 cores it's over 2.1x the speed of the Titan X (Maxwell) for Neural Networks in single precision.

As a gamer, I wouldn't buy this. The price increase isn't worth the performance over the 1080. If I was a compute/neural networking person though? This is a steal at $1200.

9. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    It's a steal alright, the question is who is the robber. If you want pure compute in OpenCL, you get that dual-chip Pro Duo monstrosity from AMD. It has 60% more FP32 compute power than the new Titan X, at only +100W(+40%) TDP and +$300(25%) extra cost. Unless you work with massive data sets or your code is exclusively CUDA (which it shouldn't be, case in point why), then this card is a very bad deal at $1,200. The AMD card at least has 1.6Tflop of FP64 on top, while this one has none.

Hell, two Nanos are 50% better at compute, at 60% of the price.

Finally, the Tesla Pascal has FP64, something that indicates that on this card it was cut down on purpose while selling it as a Titan, making this price even more ridiculous.

10. Maddness

Maddness Maha Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Should be the first 4k 60hz card. An absolute beast. I'm pick at least 2.5k in New Zealand. Can't wait to see the reviews.

11. putterman

putterman Member

GPU:
    Gtx 580 3 way sli
    Isn't this a bit of a let down?

No more triple or quad Sli now no gp100 no hbm2 only 12gb for $1200 card?

Nvidia must be really have a lead in market share for them to do these things.

In the end customer is getting shafted.

12. Maddness

Maddness Maha Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    It's very unfortunate. Other than the 480's battle with the 1060, there is no competition from AMD. It's a very sad state of affairs. Especially considering AMD'S next cards are not due until 2017.

13. Turanis

Turanis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    In the wild there are gamers and semi-pro/pro,there are noobs and workers.

Titan X,why they named as X? could put an P after X or something.
    So,Titan X is for semi-pro or pro who can't afford an pro Quadro card.

Gtx 1080 TI is for gamers.Then why the heck some of you want a semi-pro card who can't handle games as x80 TI series? The answer,read my 1st paragraph.

14. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The only thing about it that is "semi pro" is the name. In that aspect it offers nothing extra. Zero. It will be the fastest 4k60 card (until the inevitable Ti), but the "pro" angle simply doesn't exist.

15. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Because there's millions of people out there who won't lose sleep over spending $1200 on a gpu.

16. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    No one is putting 4 Pro-Duos in a server rack with that watercooling setup, they would use FirePro S9300 X2's.

Where are you putting all those coolers in this thing: http://cryptomining-blog.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/nvidia-8x-titan-x.jpg

?

Also no one is using pro-duos or nanos because of the low VRAM. One of the reasons why the Titan X was so popular was the 12GB. And most people's code is exclusively CUDA because the best/most document libraries are written in CUDA. All the thinkmate, spectrum and other compute servers are almost all exclusively Titan X/Quadro machines. And no one cares about precision in neural networks, which is where almost all of these systems are being used and solely what Nvidia is targeting with Pascal. A Titan X (P) is got 20tflops of FP16 performance a duo only has 16.

The Titan X was extremely popular with HPC people.

PC Perspective talks about it on the podcast too.

Also where do you see FP64 is cut down/locked on this Titan? I can't find a single source that confirms it is. It wouldn't surprise me, but yeah, I don't see where anyone confirms it is.

17. Xuanzang

Xuanzang Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Sea Hawk
    That is true. And at the same time people are saying that it's the lack of competition from AMD that make the prices on the top end cards from Nvidia so high. Well if nobody bought them, they wouldn't be that high.

And the same goes for the clever people who spend $1700 on a Broadwell E for gaming.

18. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    $1,200 isn't that much money, it's not anything i would pay for a GPU but gaming is an occasional hobby and not close to being something im massively enthusiastic about.

There will be people who have had the money set aside for this ever since the release of the 1080.

19. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    If that isnt much money why dont you have Titan X already? Guru3d is an enthusiast forum and only 2% users here have such a cards.

Why does one need an 1,200$ gpu and 1,700$ cpu to play games is beyond me.

20. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Ever bother reading posts on here?

He explained why. He's not that into gaming.

I could buy 2x Titan X when they release, no problem. For me, I look for value for money, that's why I'll never buy even one. Some people don't care though.