NVIDIA Announces GeForce RTX 3070, 3080 and 3090 (With Even More Shader processors)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Display port to dvi adapter?

2. wrathloki

wrathloki Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980 Ti G1
    Well for one thing we know nothing about a potential 3080 ti release date, that could be a year down the road. As for the AMD stuff that’s still months away. Then when that stuff comes out well there might just be another announcement on the horizon. I think my point still stands, you just gotta jump in at some point.

I didn’t even know this was a thing. How well does it work?

3. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    It will be the 3080S or 3080ti, I think the former, and possible 20GB versions (plus 16GB for the 3070).
    They will be released long after Xmas I reckon but over a 2 year period, this length of time can be worth hanging on for.
    Especially when 10GB or less is causing concern, both the potential 12GB and 20GB versions of 3080 numbered cards could have benefit.

4. wrathloki

wrathloki Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980 Ti G1
    I’m not concerned about 10GB of RAM in the least. What I am concerned about is my very outdated video card and some high profile game releases that I’ve been waiting for that my current card will struggle with.

When the 1080 ti came out, I waited to see the next thing. When the 2080 came out, I waited. When the 2080 super came out, I waited. I’m done waiting.

5. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Yes, but this isnt about just you.

6. wrathloki

wrathloki Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980 Ti G1
    Lots of people have older video cards that could use an upgrade. Yeah, of course if you’re running a 2080 or something then waiting makes sense. But nobody says that when they say to wait. They just make blanket statements that everyone should wait. Well no, not everyone should wait.

7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Yours is the only blanket statement, aimed at everyone.
    Embras comment was an alternative worth considering, not a directive.
    I didnt want to drag it out this far, I was pointing out where it might not be best to apply for many people.

8. wrathloki

wrathloki Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980 Ti G1
    It’s just a tiring nonstop merry-go-round of suggestions to wait whenever new cards are released.

9. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I generally ignore the merry go round posts (unless there is something they missed or are amusing), they always happen.

10. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I missed this,
    I coincidentally just plugged up a DP to DVI adapter today for a security camera monitor on my PC.
    It works very well, exactly as if plugged into an HDMI port.
    My monitor auto powers on/off as normal too if I enable/disable the display.

11. Jamethe80sman

Jamethe80sman Member

GPU:
    2060 Super
    I'mm saving for a 3080 I HOPE to god it's at least twice the power of my 2060 Super. If so I'm defo going full in...

12. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Just the same as any other adapter

13. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 3090 Strix OC
    Eww, dlss...

14. wrathloki

wrathloki Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980 Ti G1
    Well, there are a lot of adapters that barely work at all let alone reliably.

15. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    True, i guess i more mean just as well as any other decent working adapter haha

Dvi, hdmi and display port are all digital, so no converting of signals needed.

I'd suggest looking at reviews ofcourse before you purchase a cable, but i have never had any issues with any digital to digital adapter cables. ...but i have also never bought a cable that doesn't at least have 4 out of 5 star reviews on them lol

wrathloki likes this.

16. wrathloki

wrathloki Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980 Ti G1
    I’ve had problems with just straight HDMI cables with no adapter to it, and that includes 4+ star review monoprice cables which are supposed to be good. Can’t trust any kind of user reviews or brand anymore, it’s a nightmare.

17. wavetrex

wavetrex Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080 AMP!
    You have a high-end (at that time) Maxwell GPU.
    These things (3080) should be roughly 3-4 times faster than what you have, plus the new features.
    For you and anyone still on 900 series, it's definitely a worthy upgrade, actually, it's going to be an amazing upgrade.

For me it would be a "nice" upgrade as well, more than twice faster than what I have ( 1080 ), so once the market stabilizes sometimes next year and they are readily available at MRSP (or lower), sure, I'll hit the CC. (But I have a strong feeling this time it will be a transition to AMD for me personally... and a doubling of VRAM)

But for those already on Pascal High-end (1080 Ti)... eeeeeh... I'm not so sure about it at this point. +60%'ish (or more at 4K) sounds like a nice upgrade, but not sure how many games will actually get that much. Talking here about people that actually care about their money (the large majority of people), not about those that just throw them away like it's nothing...

PrMinisterGR likes this.
  18. itpro

itpro Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon Technologies
    All 3090 buyers are gonna "spam" dlss usage and they will cry from being touched from it. Eww, not.

PrMinisterGR likes this.
  19. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    yeah wait some more... fuk that!

you order your GPU and you play some sweet games at max settings ; if asked you respond: a doctors order :D

Maddness and wrathloki like this.
  20. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Interesting. Can't say i relate lol