NVIDIA Announces GeForce RTX 3070, 3080 and 3090 (With Even More Shader processors)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    Your 2080 should worry considering the 3070 is faster than the 2080ti...... in RT+DLSS ofc according to the smallprint.

2. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    My paper comes with a calculator that says Import duty, shipping (to UK) and VAT put it much nearer £700.
    NVidia are charging £650 plus local shipping.

3. craycray

craycray Member Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    A bit of wishful thinking, but I wonder if there will be a 3080Ti sometime next year. 16GB VRAM, ~9500 CUDA Cores, ~ 850USD.

What do you guys think?

4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    It will either have 10GB or 20GB. edit, drunkenness suggests you could be right on this without my intervention :)
    The price is likely to be much nearer $1100.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020

5. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    CPU bottleneck should be your concern, esp if under 1440p res.

6. Crimson Wolf

Crimson Wolf Member

GPU:
    GTX980 4GB
    sbacchetta and Noisiv like this.
  7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    If he has high fps expectations ...
    60fps should be fine.

8. jjpete

jjpete New Member

GPU:
    GTX1080
    Genuine enthusiast like any company who innovates but also prices fairly. I still have 1080 and had many Nvidia cards before. Nvidia innovates - this is good, but RTX 20xx pricing unfair vs perf vs 10xx and put a lot people off. Pricing of 30xx is insane lowered compared to 20xx - remember cost of 2080Ti - $1200 - 1400 +. This is now 3090 mark and - but!! - it's 2 below top 3070 that beats 2080Ti. Odd odd odd. Nvidia know about RDNA2 that we are about to find out.
    Wait till both Ampere and RDNA2 out, then chose wisely. Nothing wrong with Nvidia but pricing. For us enthusiasts and everyone else, AMD has forced Intel to severely cut pricing...now they force Nvidia to do same and no product yet! Competition is good.

9. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Btw folks, be prepared for massive stock shortages at these prices.

Fediuld and Noisiv like this.
  10. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    jbscotchman and alanm like this.

11. Halfmead

Halfmead Master Guru

GPU:
    GigaByte 2070 Super
    Pretty sure that when a possible 3080ti hits the market, that the price will be on par with current 2080ti price aka ~1200$

12. sbacchetta

sbacchetta Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    The 3080ti could also have a wider bus 352bit for 11GB of VRAM or like the 3090 a 384bit but with "only" 12 GB of VRAM

13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Well, considering huge increase in raw shading performance against last generation. All nVidia needed to make ready for Super/Ti cards is to release current chips with 1~2 fewer memory chips than inner IMC allows.
    Like if 3070 actually had IMC for 10 chips, but only 8 were used for initial yields purposes.
    And as if 3080 has IMC for 12 chips, but only 10 were used now. 3080 practically tripled shader performance of 2080. Give it enough bandwidth and it will perform accordingly.

My humble guess is that those cards will scale very well with VRAM overclock. But VRAM already has damn high clock, so I do not expect miracles. But having extra 25% memory bandwidth for 3070 and 20% for 3080 from extra chips...

I wonder what die shots will hint.

sbacchetta likes this.
  14. Robertwwo

Robertwwo New Member

GPU:
    Gtx 760 2gb
    Hi guys, I currently thinking about upgrade my old pc to handle new games in 1440p. I have on z87 pro3 - i7 4700k , 16gb ram, gtx 760 2gb, 512 ssd, 27" 1440p.

Do you think 3070 will be good choice or its to good for this spec? Or is better to spend litttle less for any 10xx or 20xx series? Or mb amd?

15. g320

g320 New Member

GPU:
    s3
    What can I expect / look for long term best reliability under load and warranty options these days? Workstation build for personal hobby SW development low personal budget, no gaming, no mining, just GPGPU / 3D SW development / AIML experiments etc.
    Not looking to upgrade again for N years and don't want to buy a "disposable gamers toy" that will flake / fan fail / whatever after year 1-2 or whatever 30 days after the warranty ends.

So I'm thinking I should plan to get one of these new 3070/3080 cards after a ~10+ year gap GPU / system upgrade. I'm not interested in gaming but would like to get current capability for GPGPU / AIML SW engineering to maintain & improve my skills and modern CUDA/AI/GPGPU etc. price/performance is basically a non-starter for me without something like this given the high 20xx prices / performance.

So basically it'd be used 24x7x365 in my modest development workstation sometimes under extended (weeks / months?) high compute load other times basically idle.
    The thing that gets me is reliability and maintainability from the GN YT video I saw doing a teardown of the founders edition of a similar looking RTX 20xx card it looks like they're basically almost impossible to easily disassemble / repair e.g. for a failed fan and GPUs seem to be made to be disposable and often flaky HW/SE "game accessories" these days vs. something reliable.

I've had multiple past mid-range AMD/NVIDIA GPUs with their fans or other parts fail after a few years over time. I gather that XFX/EVGA aren't doing life time warranties any more and that ASUS/NVIDIA/etc. are probably even worse.

So assuming commercial / data center grade prices & quality parts aren't an option with my student level budget, and not planning to upgrade to / buy a water cooled GPU, is it
    realistically unlikely to be able to buy one of these consumer cards (say the founders edition NVIDIA made 3080) and expect it to last reliably in hardware when in mostly continual use for several (e.g. 5-10) years as a personal "server" / workstation?

Seems like most of the hardcore gaming types use custom external water cooling and most of the professional compute users don't care since they have the budget to upgrade and replace cards every 2-5 years max. or as needed and they buy the data center quality boards. And miners don't care since they use custom setups and have short pay back times < 2 years I guess.

Is consumer GPU hopeless as a reliable thing that one would expect to last as long as one's PC CPU / motherboard / PSU reliably?

16. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Yes is true, my beer addled brain failed to consider menial addition lol.
    It could be a halfway house as suggested.

17. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Some games will require better CPU. But till that happens to games you play, you'll be fine. Most of games today are fine with CPUs that have 4 cores + 4 virtual threads. Pure 4 core CPUs hit the wall long time ago. (That's what forced me from intel's i5 to ryzen.)

As for spending, 3070 is great value unless AMD's next generation (RDNA2) proves better.

PlatinumPanther likes this.
  18. Lebon30

Lebon30 Member Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 680
    The PC was built with 1080p and a 144Hz monitor (so high refresh 1080p gaming) in mind to begin with.
    Now, he wants to go all in on 4K, HDR, etc... he told me he would be OK with a good 60Hz 4K monitor. So, 4K60 + HDR is the goal, for Cyberpunk 2077 mainly.

alanm likes this.
  19. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Nah that would be an unbalanced and wasteful design from Nvidia.
    We really don't know, have no feel as to how this new Ampere shader perform or scale with BW. But these new FLOPS are obviously weaker than old ones.

AND/OR they can't keep them occupied as easy as the old ones.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
  20. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    hd 6870

The Reeferman, Fediuld and Solfaur like this.