Nvidia announces GeForce GTX 1060

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 7, 2016.

1. xIcarus

xIcarus Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti AORUS
    Not always, like eclap has stated.
    Wouldn't surprise me if Nvidia wants to kick AMD in the balls this round. They didn't seem to care much about the midrange until now.

This honestly worries me a little. The 400 series and Zen need to be a success else AMD might get boned. Realistically now, I do not think they can take 2 kicks in the balls in a row (in case Zen doesn't deliver). Not now.

$220 is actually a realistic price for the 3GB version but I suppose few people are going to buy it. The current price seems really competitive to me honestly, as I've said we're talking about above 480 performance at the same price point.

About performance, as you said; while it might lack compute performance, its geometry performance will definitely be a big advantage.

We'll see how it pans out.

2. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 1660 Ti OC
    Only one I can remember at the moment is "Dr. Langeskov, The Tiger, and The Terribly Cursed Emerald A Whirlwind Heist". I think I have removed the ones that caused problems before and cant remember anymore. I think there was some popular one (or few) too. I can send you PM if I notice some other not working ones.

3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    When I saw that PCB, it reminded me of Pripyat. So desolate.
    And when I saw image of power delivery soldered. I no longer felt need to visit melted reactor area.

But saddest thing is that even many people here approve of that. And will buy it. And millions of regular, non-technically equipped people will buy it without even knowing.
    This will again reassure nVidia that less is better.

RX-480 had its PR nightmare with power delivery, but their overshoot in PCB quality design allows them to get away with it.

That what I have seen here with GTX 1060 has no business to be part of any PC I design. No way I am going to advise anyone to buy one of them (reference trash).
    - - - -
    I expected nVidia to pull cheap design as they did with reference 1080.
    But I did not expect 3GB version. I did expect them to go 6GB. And to have everything above 4GB.
    That way they could give K.O. to every 3GB card of last generation and probably even to some 4GB ones.

Now they are ones with least vRAM card of current generation. And are ones at mercy of very lazy game makers who needlessly increase vRAM requirements.
    - - - -
    And in light of this I really want to see what will happen in next few years since many people here already go like: "4GB is already not enough in some games even for 1080p."

4. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Sadly it looks like AIBs are downgrading the PCB in their custom RX 480 designs (MSI for example)... I don't see that happening with GTX 1060.

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    RX 480 has some room for downgrade, but it is never welcome. (Though part drawing power from PCIe is as big overshoot as aiming for Moon and landing on Mars.) VRMs more often than not produce more heat in smaller area and decrease efficiency.
    GTX 1060 does not look like it has any room to do so. AIBs are likely to make their own PCB as they'll not like that reference any more than I do.
    But one never knows what will happen when money talk ends.

GTX 1060 may have decent GPU on that PCB, but around that GPU...

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  6. Shakey_Jake33

Shakey_Jake33 Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 2060 OC
    The amount of denial on this forum is bizarre. I own an RX 480 8GB and love it, but it's pretty clear that the 1060 is the more powerful card.

People need to look at this a bit more rationally. AMD released the RX 480, an excellent card at an excellent price point. Nvidia have responded with a competitive and possibly more powerful card at a similar price point - good, that's their job. AMD still have a great card so they need to look at how to respond. The RX 480 is still the cheaper card, the GTX 1060 6GB would have been pushing my wallet a bit too much. If AMD can get the 8GB model of the RX 480 closer to 199 dollars, they will have the best 8GB card in that price range at a sub-200 dollar price point. This will be a little niche for AMD, while people who can afford to spend a little bit more should probably go with the 6GB GTX 1060 which appears to be the more powerful card.

The lengths people will go to to defend their purchases is bizarre. The RX 480 remains a great card at a great price point, but let's not distort reality and pretend the 1060 isn't more powerful just to make ourselves feel better.

7. Koniakki

Koniakki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    People who prefer AMD would be as happy with an RX 480 as those who prefer nVidia would be with an GTX 1060.

Is that simple imo.

8. Turanis

Turanis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    True that.
    But before Volta,we dont see any big perf,in Dx12,in their architecture over Maxwell/Maxwell 2.0 (pascal).

9. Shakey_Jake33

Shakey_Jake33 Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 2060 OC
    I prefer whoever gives me the best graphics card at the right price at the right time.

Do we all have favourite brands of potatoes, too?

10. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    For sure, Chippie's Choice are by far the best potato for chips. http://www.qvfoods.com/#!chippies-choice/c1p14

11. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    I WAS gonna get a RX480 for my brother's PC, but since supply is short, and reference models are poop> Along with the announcement of this.

I think i'll wait a bit, 980 performance for 250$ seems promising, but i'm wondering where it will be gimped and whether the Memory bus and bandwidth will be an issue..
    The Rx480 seems to start to struggle beyond 1080p, but so does the 970. I wonder if the 1060 will

12. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Yeah im waiting for reviews of the 1060 and will probably upgrade at the end of the year once all the bugs have been ironed out with these new cards. Theres nothing i really fell the need to play between that time, so im just going to hold off.

13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Why would we expect to see big performance increases?

Why does the PCB matter? I keep reading this here and on reddit and it doesn't really click with me. The thing hits 2ghz which is basically the same as every other Pascal chip. So like what would a more complex PCB offer? As long as it's in spec I don't see what the issue is. It is a budget card afterall. On the flipside I have a Strix with 500 power phases on it or whatever and I can't get it over 2050mhz.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
  14. Monchis

Monchis Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 950
    It seems like it is around 38fps if I´m correct.

235000mb/6144mb= 38.2fps

So it seems like the card was firstly designed for 3gb and the 6gb version is just an afterthought :bang:

Wake me up when we get proper entry level cards up to the times :sleep:

15. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Where did you see both? (Both the downgrade and the upgrade)? I still haven't seen what the Powercolor or the Sapphire cards look like. I don't believe we've had a single custom PCB 1060 shot either.

The amount of pulling "facts" out of our bottom orifices is interesting too. We don't even have official benchmarks yet, the leaked ones show the 1060 being slower under 3DMark. The only piece that shows it as faster is the supposedly "leaked" NVIDIA PR slide. Meanwhile every single part of the card except the frequency and the ROPs, the 480 has 30-90% more. Not that it will be THAT much faster, they will probably trade blows for most games, under some the 1060 will be much faster (all Blizzard titles, Rise of the Tomb Raider and maybe a couple more), for the rest they will be close, and for most DX12 games it will be much slower. If anything brakes this pattern, please alert me. :nerd:

If we take as granted that the PCB design covers the power needs of the card in its stock configuration, further enhancing its quality matters for:
    1) Overclocking.
    2) Over time stability.

A better designed PCB has higher tolerances for everything, and unlike what most people believe, electronics DO degrade with time.

I had the same notion and I used it in a thread for the Titan X, and I was brutally corrected. The card doesn't have to move data equivalent to its memory, for that memory to be useful. Memory is used as a "cache" or "buffer". That amount of memory insures that your card won't ask from the CPU to have main memory access, hence stuttering your game. There is a correlation between using higher quality assets in higher resolutions, and memory size, but it's not that today. Look at the PS4. That 7850 at 150GB/sec (max, the other 24GB/sec are CPU reserved) shouldn't even work with 8GB of memory. Yet...

16. Monchis

Monchis Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 950
    ...but still if most of that memory needs to be really used, is gonna be slow. 2gb entry level cards have had plenty of bandwidth for years now (for 2gb), were those over specced or are the new ones under specced?. Seeing the trends of late I bet it is the second.

17. plopingo

plopingo Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 PNY XLR8
    ok then 350€ ...

18. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Again, it doesn't work that way. You load a level/open area. If the GPU has a large buffer, even if you don't need the data immediately, you don't have to do DMA transfers to the RAM. Simple as that. Imagine it as a trunk full of stuff. You can't carry it all around at once, but if it is big, you don't have to go home each time you need something extra.

19. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    Actually PR, I don't think GTX1060 is going to be faster than RX480 in Tomb Raider. I don't know how much things change with the latest patch, but, using Nvidia performance slides my numbers say no it won't. However, what it loses in DX12, it "gains" in DX11. This is where the "future-proof" argument for RX480 comes in. Oh the other-hand I doubt we're going to see more than 10fps difference between games for DX12. However, the DX11 performance difference is bigger between the two.

20. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Once reviews are out, it's a bit trivial to get the performance data and put it into an excel. I'm almost certain that the 1060 will be faster in Tomb Raider, and in a lot of DX11 titles. The only issue with the cards at this point is pricing. They both price them according to DX11 performance which usually makes AMD hardware an intrinsically better purchase.