Nvidia announces GeForce GTX 1060

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Dellers

Dellers Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 2080 Ti Trio
    Actually quite expensive considering how strong the dollar is. In Norway this will be about as expensive as the GTX 580 was, and the FE will actually be quite a bit more than that.

2. Monchis

Monchis Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 950
    How many fps then?. I know my 950 can give 60fps for 2gb in my old games, It would be lame for these cards to start to crawl in newer games just because of the vram getting filled up.

3. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Ehh...? Power usage is rather relevant thing. If there are two cards that are as fast yet the other card uses half the power that card obviously has the edge unless you are die hard fanboy who thinks that power usage doesn't matter. It does matter: less heat, less noise and often better overclocking potential.

I'd assume that if AMD releases RX 485 then NVIDIA would counter it with GTX 1065 (or GTX 1060 Ti or whatever they plan to name it).

By the way, does the GP106 have more than 1280 shaders or is everything enabled in GTX 1060? Also I wonder if GP104 and GP106 are pin-to-pin compatible... If so then hypothetical GTX 1065 could be heavily cut down GP104 with 256-bit memory bus too.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  4. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    What we do know is that RX 480 is fully enabled chip.

5. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    And was originally believed to be the 490.

6. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    I never said that power figures don't matter, the opposite actually. Check my wall of text post in this thread. Power is the first thing I am talking about. I dont like it when we pretend like everything else doesn't matter along with power. Unless power usage prevents using the hardware, then it's a non issue for most people. A mid range 130-200W card vs a midrange 100-160W card isn't any disaster. A measly memory bus will probably bite you in the ass though.

As for the chip itself, my guess is that it's a laser cut version of the 1080 chip, same as the pcb design. Which means that more ot less you have a single production line, where you simply laser cut the gpus and put less memory chips on the pcb, along with less soldered power equipment. Makes sense financially.

7. ender79

ender79 Member Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 970 ~ 1455 Mhz
    1. List of feature levels on dx 12 :
    12_0 Resource Binding Tier 2, Tiled Resources Tier 2 (Texture2D), Typed UAV Loads (additional formats). AMD HD 7790/8770, Rx 260/290, Rx 360/390 series, Xbox One (GCN 1.1), R9 285/380, Fury series (GCN 1.2), Rx 480 (GCN4)
    12_1 Conservative Rasterization Tier 1, Rasterizer Ordered Views. 4Nvidia GeForce 900/Titan series (Maxwell, 2nd gen)
    Intel HD Graphics 510-580

To be clear Nvidia Gpus(maxwell 2 and pascal) and Intel Hd from Broadwell(9th generation) and beyond are dx 12 fl12.1 compliant, AMD latest polaris is still dx12 fl12.0

Asyncshaders is not part of any DirectX spec, is AMD specific and yes even Maxwell have basic impremetantion of preemtion and probably many other gpus , but not at pixel level like Pascal, GNC arhitecture does have like maxwell , limited preemtion , but like I said before is not a DirectX feature . If DX11.1 could bring that option(but is not madatory to comply with DX11.1) but is not implemented fully in hardware is not a feature , is just a plus like Asyncshaders. Anyway premtion at pixel level can be found right now only in Pascal.

Complete DX11.1 features :
    11_1: WDDM 1.2 Logical blend operations, target-independent rasterization, UAVs at every pipeline stage with increased slot count, UAV only rendering with force sample count, constant buffer offsetting and partial updates, all 11_0 features.

Lacking feature_levels doesn't mean the hardware isn't DX12 compatible. I said is not Dx12.1 , but any DX12.0 games that don't have any fl12.1 features will run just fine on GNC .

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  8. ender79

ender79 Member Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 970 ~ 1455 Mhz
    If tomorrow will be released a title that is using Raster Order Views (sadly is a fl12.1 feature), and if that feature can't be disabled in game, an AMD GPU simply can't run that game

Asyncshaders and that fukking basic preemtion can be run with any dx11.1 cards if have that implemented in hardware, because is not related to DirectX , was added by AMD or Intel or Nvidia at their free will, at different levels and can be used by programmers or not. Preemtion at pixel level is the same for NVIDIA, is not related to DirectX , can be used or not by games , but if used can open the asyncompute for pascal

Asyncshaders is like PhysX introduced by NVIDIA and IS NOT RELATED TO ANY DirectX , and yes games that use PhysX are running much better on NVDIA hardware than AMD , what is wrong with you???????

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  9. leszy

leszy Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire V64 LC
    [​IMG]

Weired.

10. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    Good luck with that game then, it won't run anywhere else either. This kind of requirement is really only a GameWorks fence, as anyone with a brain might realize.

Multi-engine is very very much related to D3D12. Here's the diagram from Microsoft themselves:

[​IMG]

Preemption is NOT parallelism. Now, you can pretend that you are doing things in parallel, if your serial performance is fast enough. That's mostly what's happening now with Maxwell and Pascal, because they are really really fast. So in an essence you are correct, you don't need specialized hardware for doing async work. It just means that any programmer writing code like it's supposed to be written for DX12, won't get the performance they expect out of NVIDIA GPUs. You must have seen yourself some performance regressions in some titles under DX12.

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Yeah, i read its hard wired. Wtf?

12. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    You want smaller PCB? I give you smaller PCB. lol

It is definitely a head scratcher.

13. ender79

ender79 Member Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 970 ~ 1455 Mhz
    As I said both Nvidia and Amd will introduce some juice beyond DX specs to make their products more attractive.
    In the past Nvdia had PhysX , now AMD is running hard on asyncshaders, tomorrow will appear games that will use fully Nvidia preemtion under the logo "the way it meant to be played" , is an endless war .

Anyway in this moment there is no game that is DX12 native or using it features. Games like Ashes of Singularity , Hitman and Rise of Tomb Raider are just using DX12 path.
    AOS and Hitman are using asyncshaders and will favor AMD . Rise of Tombrider is the only game that is using dx12 path with no other modification....and in this scenario even a GTX980 is faster than a Fury X
    Looking into the future I really don't see it that bright for AMD

14. leszy

leszy Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire V64 LC
    You are mistaken two different things. Asynchronous shaders are part of DX12, because they couldn't be used if they were not. Just you are looking for them in the wrong place. Asynchronous shadders is the method of operation of cards GCN, not just another graphic effect/feature. In the GCN thanks to AS, the same pipeline can alternately perform computing and 3D operations. In the NV cards to jump from 3D to the computing, pipeline must be closed and launched a new and vice versa. New preemption method just speeds up this process. Of course GCN can and is using preemption. Just don't need to do it so often.

15. ender79

ender79 Member Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 970 ~ 1455 Mhz
    pleasse don't tell anymore about asynshaders,you just answered yourself ... Asyncshaders are existing in GNC from aged Radeon 7970 wich is only dx11.1 compliant not even 12.0 like GNC 1.1 and beyond , again is not related to DirectX, is related only to AMD

You can run asyncshaders under dx11.1 path as well

Please stop it

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016

16. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    I'll definitely pick one up, either for the best price around Black Friday/Christmas, or if it hits £150 for the 6GB before them, although that's unlikely given the train wreck that is the pound atm. Should be a massive upgrade for me and the only bit of my PC that is slacking.

17. ender79

ender79 Member Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 970 ~ 1455 Mhz
    Well today GPUs are supescalar and at shader level are in order arhitecture , not Out of Order like today CPU-s. Preemtion is something that helps to parallelize different kind of works, not the same type.Exactly what AMD is doing with asyncshader in a different way, but the goal is the same and the gain is tangible in both situations .

I quote myself : What Nvidia is doing with preemption and dynamic load balancing right now, while not exactly async compute, can be used to accomplish similar goals.

18. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 2080 Super
    Reality looks more like this.

19. SoloCreep

SoloCreep Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI
    Wow that's a great price for that card. I was thinking about getting a 970 since I game at 1080p on my 42 inch tv but this is a much better deal.

20. Juakin

Juakin Member

GPU:
    ASUS GeForce GTX 960 2GB
    This **** of the Nvidia Founders Edition the only thing it's doing it's increassing the prices of the cards, now we have a lot of overprices cards... Nvidia WTF.