NVIDIA Announces Financial Results for Fourth Quarter and Fiscal 2020

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Cplifj

Cplifj Active Member

GPU:
    290X
    Coronavirus had no effect, ofcourse it had not. It wasn't a thing at all. It is now. Is that how marketing works ? stupid beyond...

3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    More specifically: that's how the stock market works. Only investors and shareholders care about this data and they're going to get antsy if Nvidia isn't bringing in more cash for them. Blame it on coronavirus and the hope is they'll chill out.

4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    The first death was reported about a month ago.. it wasn't until like 2 weeks ago that china started forcefully shutting down various manufacturing facilities.

Why is it not believable that two weeks before Nvidia reported that those factories being shut wouldn't effect channel inventory but going into next quarter it would? - Seems pretty straightforward.

5. andries

andries Active Member

GPU:
    Galax 2080 ti
    Kudos Nvidia, excellent products on offer, surprisingly happy with Turing. Running these early ray tracing tech demos and Quake 2 rtx is extremely satisfying for me, reminds me of early days of 3d acceleration. Can't hardly wait for Ampere and Cyberpunk.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  6. tunejunky

tunejunky Maha Guru

GPU:
    RadeonVII RTX 2070
    the real story was buried in the lede.

the adoption of RTX in laptops is the real reason we're seeing a profit this quarter.
    this is a growth market as desktops sales are declining overall.
    furthermore, the efficiency of the Turing uArch is very well suited to mobile - even full fat 2080/2070's, let alone Max-Q and Super.

as a person whose been buying Nvidia mobile as long as they've made mobile gpu's. the Turing is the 1st uArch to hit the battery/playtime sweet spot. my old 1070 (full fat mobile) couldn't even eke out one hour of gameplay or maybe 3/4 of a movie. the (full fat) 2070 is giving me amazing battery life. i've played for over two hours on battery (with work taking me away,not the battery) and binged almost the whole 1st season of The Witcher.

given that both laptops were running Intel i-7's (7700, 8750H), that is indeed remarkable and people have noticed and are buying.