1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nvidia announced G-Sync - eliminates stutter and screen tearing with a daughter module

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    i see juddering and it's not smooth and there are strange micro-pauses every now & then on screen :D

i always keep vsync off anyway, so i don't care about G-Sync.

2. geogan

geogan Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070
    Thank God someone finally decided to sort this vsync/tearing/lag problem at last.

Very clever of NVidia to release this information into the world just as everyone was about to buy the soon to be released ATI R290X though... will stop many people including me in my tracks now and wait to see if NVidia bring out better cards or drop price of Titan so we can take advantage of this. Will also cause me to put my planned upgrade of Dell 24" to a Dell 27" on hold too now :(

3. Fien

Fien New Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX780 DCUII OC
    I can't see it mentioned, but I wonder if VG278HE is compatible.

4. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980Ti+KS800 TV
    You need a new monitor or maybe a daughter board add on if available at some point to upgrade your monitor. That is doubtful though.

5. Fien

Fien New Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX780 DCUII OC
    That's what I'm thinking. I've been debating getting a 1440p. But not sure which one yet. :( Definitely going to have to wait a while to see what happens with G-Sync. Should be very interesting.

6. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    MSI 980Ti+KS800 TV
    I would hold off and see how this pans out. No rush and get the best kit!

7. Fien

Fien New Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX780 DCUII OC
    The worst part about planning an upgrade. Yesterday I was pretty sure I would change monitors. But this changes everything!

8. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    MSI 980Ti+KS800 TV
    Lol. It's a good job it was announced now then so you get the chance to buy one later instead of buying one without it. The only thing I don't like is you are locked into buying Nvidia. I hope they do make this for alot of monitors and you can use any card.

9. Fien

Fien New Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX780 DCUII OC
    I agree. The choice between Nvidia and AMD is becoming harder and harder, considering that each will give you vastly different benefits. Even though it seems that it's quite targeted for some people, others are going to have a lot more difficulty making that choice.

10. peshkohacka

peshkohacka Member Guru

GPU:
    ***8962;

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014

11. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    MSI 980Ti+KS800 TV
    You have a good point. Alot of Nvidia tech does seem to go that way. Good ideas not implemented very well and kept as for niche market instead of expanding it to all. Makes good business sense though? I don't think so. The amount of Physx games every year seems to dwindle and they are not so well implemented.

12. Spets

Spets Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti XC Ultra
    I don't see how this will be forgotten, smooth gaming at fluctuating frames and the elimination of stutter and tearing is a big deal. A lot of developers are on board as well as monitor manufactures.
    Try telling the HPC market CUDA wasn't revolutionary. Their offerings are a good selling point, I know a lot of people that like being able to use CUDA/PhysX/GFE/Stereo3D and looking forward to ShadowPlay/*********/NVENC. Being able to use G-Sync will be another added selling point and imo a pretty good one for people that enjoy smooth gaming.

13. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT UV 1950~
    Best business decision would be to not limit it to certain displays and gpus. They would really sell a lot with that.. I won't be buying any TN displays in any near future :/

14. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 1070 Amp
    Sure as it get's more popular more monitor manufacturers will get abroad an offer it too, like dell for instance.

15. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Yep. I would be happy about version that supports 75hz or 100hz max if it means that it would work in non-tn screens. I will never buy TN panel again.

16. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    MSI 980Ti+KS800 TV
    So if you won't buy TN what do you have that's better? Unless you have bought an Overlord or Qnix, 60hz just does not cut it any more.

17. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT UV 1950~
    I've never heard of either of those. I just use P-IPS panel atm. I'm all about good picture quality tbh. Input lag on this monitor is like 0.5 frames iirc. Which is ok and 60-75Hz is good for me o_O

And reading about those displays they wouldn't cut it for me :D

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  18. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    My 75Hz IPS screen which has basically no input lag either (almost all can do it without frame skipping) is nice enough trade off. TN looks like **** and viewing angles are poor enough to make top part of the screen look different than bottom. No fun having high refresh rate when the image looks like ****. I've been "overclocking" displays for ages.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  19. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 xc ultra
    Honestly this should have already been being done by the tv manufacturers.

20. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    MSI 980Ti+KS800 TV

Yes but what monitors do you have? I'm curious. Especially with you saying they can do 75hz and not much lag.
    Thanks!