Nvidia announced G-Sync - eliminates stutter and screen tearing with a daughter module

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

2. eclap

eclap Banned

Interesting and if it actually works then it could be a big selling point to all of us who are sensitive to things like that.

3. Spets

Spets Ancient Guru

The descriptions of it make it sound pretty amazing, fluid gameplay even with fps drops :)
    Would like to see it in action.

4. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

Aha, i see a GTX780 Ti in that Pic....
    interesting......

5. proFits

proFits Ancient Guru

Same though came to me. ''If it does what it says it does'' I'm buying it.

6. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

i have such an awesome monitor, s23a700d but if it does what it does i might sell it and buy something like it.

7. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

Huh, so maybe it's like Lucid MVP only it will work.

8. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

So let me get this straight. You have to buy just a new monitor or a new monitor AND a new Nvidia card? Would it work with AMD if is a monitor thing?

9. taims11

taims11 Member

This works only with NVidia cards?

10. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

g-spot, g-sync.........

11. velocityx

velocityx Master Guru

or more importantly, is it limited by panel technology? meaning, I love IPS screens, so if it comes for Twisted nematic then, well, screw you I don't care.

12. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

13. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

This is essentially another frame buffer that will store complete frames sent from the GPU(s) and then release them at the same timing. However, wouldn't this add another frame time worth of latency?

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

Hopefully Hilbert will be able to give us more details about this later, but judging just by the article, it sounds like this would introduce more latency... AND, is NVidia going to restrict this to their GPUs only, or...

I was wondering the same...

15. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

Wouldn't that be a redundant function as that's what VSync does on the GPU side? This seems to enable a "dynamic refresh rate" so that the monitor refreshes as soon as a new frame is available, being in sync with the GPU, rather than the other way around (VSync) or being not synced (VSync off).

Of course, the monitor would have a limit, but this means that the disadvantage of VSync, a frame of latency, would be solved as the GPU is drawing directly onto the screen now, and the disadvantages of VSync off which is tearing and stutter (below refresh rate) and jitter (above refresh rate) would be eliminated.

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

The article makes it sound as if this is a secondary framebuffer that's part of the monitor. I don't see where it says anything about having a dynamic refresh rate.

17. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

This screams non-isochronous display updates which Carmack talked about sometime earlier and elaborated on in QuakeCon 2013.

18. Slikar

Slikar Master Guru

I don't know about you guys but i have exactly the same problem with stuttering like on that video. I always thought my hardware is broken or something , i changed every single part in my PC but no luck.. Seems like its something else , little sad i need a brand
    new ''g-sync'' monitor to fix that problem.

19. 007.SirBond

007.SirBond Master Guru

Finally, I have been waiting for ages for developers to acknowledge this problem with v sync. I guess the majority of people cannot notice the shutter, but I definitly do when the scene is in motion, I am glad Nvidia has finally addressed this issue. I will be happy to have this when I purchase my 1440p or 4k display.

20. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Master Guru

Seems very gimmicky this event. I wonder if any of it actually works? And the 780ti is a huge waste of time. Gonna wait until Maxwell before I upgrade.