NVIDIA and its troubled GeForce 400 series [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Feb 22, 2010.

1. sounar

sounar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080
    just like 3dfx took forever to release voodoo 6 card with 4 built-in cpu's till to the point nividia bought them out...same will happen with the Fermi with so many delays, ATI will just end up buying out Nividia... goodbye green "N":wanker: j/k

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  2. ASLayerAODsk

ASLayerAODsk Guest

GPU:
    MSI 580 8G
    all this push push push back and back...I guess we'll just have to see if they follow 3dRealms....so far..the story sounds the same...success...success..then quiet...quiet....push push push...COLLAPSE. ....unknown.....

3. Romiz

Romiz Guest

Also read his article and if the end it sounded more like fiction with very few real facts.

Hilbert on the other hand is being open minded and solid statements and views. Here is a key quote from Hilbert we all need to follow

Quote:
    "As always, in order to remain objective you judge a product once you actually have had it in your hands to test it. Which is what we intend to do."

Another thing to look at before the 8xxx series Nvidia had a horrid shader and ATIs solid. The 8xxx came out and low and behold Nvidia fixed it and made it faster than ATI at that time. So lets not call Nvidia's death so fast. Even if these GPUs are a totally flop they will rework it.

One thing against Nvidia is ATI released a very solid and well priced intro DX11 cards. They have an even more powerful GPU in the works and will raise the bar even higher.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2010
  4. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    i had a 4870x2 for 1.5 years and it ran like a champ with no bugs or problems whatsoever, however it's true that Ati drivers were quite crap back in the early days.

anyway now i own this new 5970 which is running like a champ too, absolutely no problem whatsoever in W7 Pro X64, i play all sorts of games (even ones that nobody cares about), perfect stability, quality and performance.

now, before anyone thinks i'm an Ati fanboy, i'm not, i love nvidia (i own a Gtx260 in my 2nd pc which is great), i'm totally against fanboyism it's stupid and something i really hate i buy both brands as long as they fullfill my performance requirement. :)

back to FERMI, i said it in another thread that i'm afraid that nvidia may be boasting and then end up with a half baked product such as their GEFORCE FX series back then which was a disaster.

i am not going to give in to any speculations until the real thing is properly tested and i recommend everyone to do just the same. ;)

5. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    will it run Crysis

lmao, ok, getting old

6. scandalous

scandalous Master Guru

GPU:
    980TI Classified
    If the rumors are true that the GTX 480 is only 5% faster than the 5870, does that mean nvidia has nothing that can compete with the 5890?

7. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I am disappointed and saddened by guru3d for posting this article, i expect these kind of articles by the user base on the front page forum, but not by guru3d itself. Sad, sad day.

8. Doug

Doug Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    What's so bad about it? Seems justified to me

9. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    exactly, theres absolutely nothing wrong with giving editorial type write ups.

10. Doug

Doug Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    If anything it makes the place seem more human if you get me.. Rather than just the same style review all the time, this product can do this and its pros are this and cons are this (not that I'm saying the reviews here are anything but great:nerd: ) but you know what I mean, nice to hear some opinions from the head honcho.

11. nascasho

nascasho Master Guru

GPU:
    GV-N670OC-2GD @ 1250Mhz
    Dang, I was just gonna type that too... :puke2:

12. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    lol, i think its gonna be around for a while

13. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    I'm looking to buy a car. So this 285 may have to last a while anyway.

14. UnrealGaming

UnrealGaming Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Far Cry 2 Benchmark.

HD5970 - 87 fps avg ( from guru3d vga perf chart ) with 8aa, Core i7 @ 3.75 Ghz.
    GF100 - 84 fps avg ( from guru3d GF100 article ) with 4aa, but Core i7 @ stock, unfinished drivers.

Whatever problems they might have had, I'm still pretty excited about these cards. For their technology and performance. And yes, I would like to have DX11 and physx and better drivers and more aa with less impact on performance and some other interesting stuff Fermi will offer. But, again, we'll see for sure, only when some tests of the final product with finished drivers hit the interwebs. If they're not good enough, there's always 58xx series.

15. acon

acon Member Guru

GPU:
    eVga/8800gts/512
    This is a little off topic but i'm curious and can't find the answer.

Why is this Charlie guy always bashing and predicting doom for Nvidia, is he on ATI's payroll, or just an ATI fanboy, or did an Nvidia executive do his wife, what?

16. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    Word is that back in the day he wasn't important enough to warrant a press pass to nvidia events, and has had some pathetic grudge ever since, AMD/ATI also sponsor his site if that helps to complete the picture

17. DementeD

DementeD Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD "6970" 1000/1500

one benchmark thats not on the same setup at same settings is hardly a way to predict what the performance will be..
    not to mention the drivers that pumped the 5970 were pre 10.3 which from what ive seen has added a hefty increase everywhere..

5% is definitely a possibility in some games while other games or benches(heaven demo) may be much higher....really just cant wait to see some non bias benches(remember the 84fps is from nvidia not someone like Hilbert)

18. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    the performance considering the unfinished drivers is not bad at all, we're talking only 3fps difference with 4xAA (which is the most popular setting by your average gamer), also keep in mind the 5970 is a dual gpu, when all is said and done the Fermi being only 3 fps short is a pretty good achievement, and don't forget a single gpu offer is under most circumstances a better option when it comes to power consumption and general compatibility. ;)

while PhysX isn't exactly what i'd call a must have (at least for now), its a good bonus for nvidia cards, then there's Cuda and a few other cool features, all in all if this is any indication, i think Fermi should do well.

just for reference i get 81-82fps in FC2 with my current hardware, dx10 and 8xaa.

19. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Haha, lol what a silly post..

Think you better lay down next to good old Charlie, I'm sure he can spare you some of his pills :)

"THERE ARE NO TANKS IN BAGDAD" springs to mind.

20. weston

weston Guest

GPU:
    GTX 275
    I actually laughed @ size_Mick's ATI bashing post. They are bargain basement cards? lol, they have the fastest card, and the second fastest card out right now, and a better card at EVERY price point over nVidia.