1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NVIDIA and its troubled GeForce 400 series [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Feb 22, 2010.

1. rash1205

rash1205 Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS ENGTX 460 1GB
    :wanker: :wanker: sank u moi friend :banana: :banana: :banana:

2. Razorrig

Razorrig Banned

GPU:
    HD 5870 Xfire 1025mhz

[​IMG]

3. proFits

proFits Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680
    What are you talking about, that thing was great in the first few weeks of 3Dmark Vantage :p

EDIT: Oh and please :ban: Razorrig

4. Devolution

Devolution Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5850 Radeon HIS 1024MB
    ^ Dude, Vantage was Nvidia rigged the first few weeks. :(

5. proFits

proFits Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680
    I know it was amazing, think my 8800GT was outshinning my 4870x2 XD

EDIT: sorry I'll push us back to topic by saying we should still wait until one of the two sides has new stuff up for review before making a hasty decision (because I'm almost sure to pass on this nvidia series even though we don't even have any concrete information)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  6. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    It was an idiot statement but im sure it was troll like to just get attention, though PhysX so far has been less gimicky and more accepted than DX11.

7. Devolution

Devolution Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5850 Radeon HIS 1024MB
    ^DX11 hasn't been established yet. It will be a good year and a half before DX11 is the standard between DX9.0c and DX11. For DX11 to make accepted by the masses, we need new consoles. Fact of life.

Back on track, I stand by my opinion. Nvidia is doing poorly. Whooptie frigging do. History is cyclical and Nvidia will catch up, then AMD will catch up...and as long as they fight each other, WE benefit. Fermi being late is NOT helping us as consumers as ATI can now do something they normally abstain from: price gouging.

8. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    I disagree. DX11 has only been out for, what, 5-6 months? And already has 5 or so titles out? More coming?

Physx...and when we all speak of Physx being gimmicky, I think we're all talking about GPU accelerated physx, has a total of...16 according to Nvidia.

Maybe ten of those anyone has ever played.

9. proFits

proFits Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680
    PhysX is not ''gimmicky'' it really does work we've all seen it, I don't think we can blame Nvidia for it, I mean.... I have seen much effort put in the last 6 months to show that their big point is physX

10. Bloodduty

Bloodduty Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA OC Titan X
    only my opinion

ATI with there 5870 5850 and there top 5890 well if they sort there drivers out a little more it will be the best card of the decade I am a Nvidia just because of the drivers and the way they build them but the 5800 are well made

I have had a 2900s they wear crap sorry to say but they just to loud and wear buggy and wear not good for performance in a lot of places for a long time then the 3870s to replace it then it got better 4870s was a hell of a boost but still lacked performance in very little places but the 5800s perfect I have had one to mess with and yeah well worth it if you ask me

so relay the 400s will be OK or good but at 650 it would need 60 plus ROPs and 720 or more shader processors DDR4 3 or 4 Ghz to beat it lol

:pc1: :biggun: :banana:

11. rash1205

rash1205 Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS ENGTX 460 1GB
    no no no, what r u talking abt. physx is nothing. for red monster people its nothing but boring theory like "work=force*energy" from science book. and feel so sorry that i quit here. thnx guyz.....

12. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX 2080 Ti
    All I have to say is I'm sick of Nvidia playing with words, all talk no show.

I want to see the real deal. Thats how I feel about this whole thing.

13. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    i dont care if its not UL listed at this point....i'm off to push my 88gtx around in a baby stroller now and think about the good ol' days

14. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    I just hope that it's not another r600...

Except in this case, everyone but ATI expected to much from the r600, but not only are the people expecting so much from fermi, but Nvidia is also expecting so much. Which is r600 x10.

15. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    4 DX11 games as far as i can see, none of them doing much more than make me stare at two near identical screenshots over and over.

Speaking of PhysX and this is entirely on topic, will be curious to see how well the 400series handle it, on paper it should be a breeze even with a single card, but if there is DX11 tessellation also, that could be a challenge.

16. Devolution

Devolution Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5850 Radeon HIS 1024MB
    Tessellationed PhysX debris.
    ...Batman Arkham Asylum...
    ..my head hurts thinking about how much smoke that card will have coming off of it to run that.

17. 3T3RN4L

3T3RN4L Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5870 1035/5320mhz
    physx is ass. dx11 is ass. there both ass. stop whining like little girls and stick to the subject like good little bitchez :)

i'm talking about all of you,not one.shut your faces ^o^

anyways as for the subject on this matter. well i think it kinda sucks. they have people wait and wait and wait, nothing out yet and less then expected now from the cards itself. this is not good at all. even if it's slightly faster then the 5870 and they cut prices at launch to be competitive with ati they still get a lost cause ati can slash prices and still make a profit while nvidia for every card they sell they will lose some profit then gaining it. this is very bad for the consumer,so hopefully everything works out and this card becomes badass for both sides of people. not as a fanboy but as a consumer. every business needs competition to stay alive and that what drives lower costs and better quality products. i mean look at ati. they wouldn't be this successful with either the 4000 or 5000 series if it wasn't for competition

18. GC_PaNzerFIN

GC_PaNzerFIN Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 + AC Xtreme
    Stop complaining about PhysX ppl, if you honestly stand behind your words and don't care about it, then what are you doing here complaining about feature others may enjoy?

Same goes for DX11, maybe I get some benefit from it now that BC2 is getting out...

edit: Oh and daym good article. Well written, Hilbert.

edit2: Fermi must be the most hated gfx card ever as it gets blamed for pretty much anything before it is even out. Must buy, I want to try the worlds most hated gfx card ever. :nerd:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  19. allup

allup Master Guru

GPU:
    2 X SLi Asus 7870 V2 ROG
    All in all i am seeing mixed reviews online. Have read quite a few.
    Myself says,
    "I still will wait for the generation after Ferbie card to buy, as my 280's are still playing anything i want or do. Tessellation, though nice to look at, is not that important to me, or in not but a handful of games so far."
    With that said, me thinks it is like my old "5x00Ti" all over again. All show and only some go. Hopefully Nvidia can recover from this and move on just as in previous bad times. With this economy i do wonder though.
    With over 20 years in working, watching, and learning about computers it is only the last dozen or so years that graphics have been important on a computer.
    I keep a collection of old cards just for fun. The first dual ATI card ala
    Rage Fury Maxx, all the Voodoo cards the first Nvidia cards etc. In time i am sure i will even have one of these ferbies to add to my collection.
    Though time will tell as always. :pc1:

20. Alec**

Alec** Maha Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 5850 1GB H²0
    It's really nice to see a opinionated article from Hilbert :D

Well Done HH.