1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NVIDIA and its troubled GeForce 400 series [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Copey

Copey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    960 2GB
    Interesting article, im thinking that on launch femri will be quicker than the 5 series ATI but not by as much as you would think, but i reckon once nvidia get there heads around the architecture and release revisions we will see something special, the ATI cards present good bank for buck but i cant bring myself to buy one after the horrible experience i had with ATI cards, plus i find the drivers awful in comparision to nvidia's.

2. Chernobyl

Chernobyl Active Member

GPU:
    xfx 4870 1gb
    Avoiding the massive trolls in this thread, It will be really interesting to see where they take Fermi from here. Maybe it'll be a failure ala 2900xt and they'll just drop it and move on to a new architecture, or maybe they'll just **** it up even more and keep trying to go with it, like Netburst.

3. Darkasantion

Darkasantion Master Guru

GPU:
    Club 3D HD5870 1035/1325
    A real shame, with the latest bunch of drivers ATi did improve alot, and more is coming, so maybe worth a try again :) ?

Ooh and regarding Fermi, I stick with the astatment of, to late, to hot and to expensive for the performance delivered. We haven't seen the numbers indeed, but it doesn't require alot of sense to figure out that Fermi wont do the +60% over the HD5870 Nvidia did promise ;) Closer to 5~10%, if even, and that would mean the card should cost around $400~$449, and that means Nvidia is losing with every card, because there is no way they can make profit with these low yields and big chips they are having now.

4. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    oh fuk what you want a medal:wanker:.
    i think since some aholes concider c being a legit news sorce and all there was yesterday on the forums was bs s/a hit getter links with guess's abound he had to quell the misinformation.

you love c so you know a big claim like its "unmanufacterable" is ok to over look.
    he spews so much crap he is bound to be almost right 1-2 times.
    plus anyone who knows numbers and tells them before nda is an ahole anyway

5. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA

He's out of these forums already for trolling.
    Guys discuss all you want .. but again no trolling and fanboyism' ok ?

We will moderate hard on this.

6. Daedalu

Daedalu New Member

GPU:
    MSI/6870/1gig OC 975
    Nvidia Issues

After reading what was here and across the web, what I see is that Nvidia is giving it's investors a warning like happens when the stock drops.
    Things are not well and do not look to get better anytime soon!

Most company's have issues with the first run of any product, so that in it's self does not bother me. What does is when a product is delayed many times and it is not shown to anyone who can evaluate what it is or does.

Because a company will be shouting from the roof tops about it's product if it looks to be a top runner, They will be sending cards to reviewers as fast as they can to get the word out!
    This is not happening , and that sets off warning bells that there has been a real issue with said product.
    I use both cards in my systems , but have moved over to ATI as they have had a very good stable product that is fast and there drivers have matured to a very good place.

But like you I do not see a Video card coming to market that is going to brush aside ATI at any level.
    And now we will be reading the post of Fanboies on both sides trying to out post the other to prove theres is bigger and better than the other.

ATI made some mistakes in the past,but fixed them as it seems to me, Nvidia has made a string of mistakes over the years in how they advertised the product and does not seem to have stopped or changed how they do this.
    This did not make me not go and check out there products and or not buy , but I take great care in evaluating there cards before I do.
    Thats just me though as I have lost my trust in how they present there cards.

I hope they get a product to market as it does help us on many counts, as the price comes down on the products and makes it easier on the pocket book as we go to buy what we want or need. That is the main thing I look out for, what I get for the dollars I spend.

7. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    I think little bot blue aka tommygun71 might even be Mrs C herself, upset over the reference to her, she can a running.

8. YuKsS

YuKsS Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus gtx 1070 strix oc
    i was thinking the same.. at least for this whole year.. the i upgrade my entire rig.

9. Patjuh

Patjuh Member

GPU:
    GTX260-216 SLI
    For me one thing's for sure, I'm staying a little longer on my GTX260 SLI setup than I planned to stay :) which is no real problem at all though.

10. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AorusXtreme 1080Ti
    good Article, but why is everyone going crazy about this? its hardware, its delayed but will get released soon( probably ) so why all the fanboyism?

Charlie must be really enjoying this.

11. Trolle

Trolle Maha Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 1070 sniper
    good article
    it looks like nvidia shot themselves in the foot if its only slightly better then a 5870(we'l see when fermi arrives)

12. Copey

Copey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    960 2GB
    Maybe so, my current rig plays everything i want it too so i aint bothered about upgrading at the minute, but may go back ATI if they have what i want.

13. Omagana

Omagana Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 SLI
    WOW never seen so many accounts made just to troll the one thread, some people need to get a grip.

I was waiting till march to see if Fermi would drive down 58xx prices...but thats looking less and less likely to happen anytime soon :(

On the plus side it's my birthday this weekend ;)

14. Texter

Texter Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
  15. civato

civato Master Guru

GPU:
    2xGTX570 sli on H2O EK
    Still enjoying my SLI GTX 280's , thanks to the great driver support. I can and will wait a few months. Benchies are my thing , not gossip!

16. Jae-So

Jae-So Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    ^ yeh u have a sweet rig man, no doubt, no need to upgrade yet, mine isn't too shabby but doesn't hold a candle to urs lol, I'll upgrade to GTX4XX/HD58XX/HD68XX when the price is right and I feel it is appropriate to upgrade, might even get a second hand 5970 in a year or so wen the early adopters switch lol

17. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT UV 1950~
    good read... fermi will be good i believe so but how much better then 5870 no idea... but really they should frikkin get the cards out already :D

18. rflair

rflair Don Commisso Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 980/290X
    Having an almost twin PC to the one in my specs but with an 8800GTX (which I really like) one should also add the lack of drivers from Nvidia lately to the Fermi story. I think Nvidia has their driver teams totally concentrating on Fermi and tweaking the drivers for it and placing their current cards on the back burner, which is kind of sad considering their current cards are whats out there not something that has yet to come.

Also usually there is a leaked driver that mentions a newer card at least a month or two before it shows up, this hasn't happened with Fermi yet, Nvidia is even keeping this under tight raps. Just speculation but maybe the new drivers favor the architecture so much that previous generations will be ill effected.

19. pmanipole

pmanipole Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6970
    i dont care how fast it is, just as long as it helps drive the prices lower with some competion. right now the ati cards are all above msrp. i would grab a 5850 if the price was $50 cheaper.

but to tell the truth my 4890 handles any game i throw at it at 4xaa and 16 aas without any problems so i am in no hurry to buy a new card.

20. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I don't find much reason to upgrade regardless of how great the 4 series will be. Most of the time I run my card at 50%~75% clock rates while gaming and its a steady 60FPS :3eyes:

With everything merely console ports.... what good does the top of the line graphics card do for you? sigh..

Some people seriously needs to chill. Its just a graphics card, not like you own Nvidia or AMD shares (well you could...) and that the success or failure of Fermi might cause WW3 or the dead to rise out of the ground if it was better/worse than Cypress...

Plus, currently no games to really demonstrate DX11 or push its capabilities.

Perhaps this is Nvidia's message for everyone to save money by upgrading slower. :mad2: