1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NVIDIA and its troubled GeForce 400 series [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

Today I wanted to write a little 'opinionated' editorial. Typically we do not address rumors and gossip. But an accumulation of things that have been going on over at camp NVIDIA and the Internet leading...

More...

2. Wanny

Wanny Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti GAMING 6G
    Yea yea... I think I might stay on my SLI cards longer than I thought.

Let's see what happens I guess! That's all we can do.

3. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    Interesting article. One online store has a GTX480 at 699$ but people are saying that´s bogus and i´ve read, in Tweak Town, that the 470 may be priced at 299 and that performance wise, it beats or comes close to the 5870, i wonder if this is correct.

Can´t wait for the benchies!

4. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970 STRIX OC
    Yeah, it's the problem with NV. I'll probably stay with SLI too, and I guess that the most of the people who wanted DX11 stuff and 1-card performance, already bought Radeon 5850 / 5870. It won't be easy to sell 470/480.

5. Captain828

Captain828 New Member

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX 480
    I've read Charlie's article and yeah he should get some pills and lay down for a while. :p

About this whole mess nVidia is in: as put in the article, there's just not much to be said until we actually see Fermi out in the wild.

6. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6950 Unlocked 900/1250
    Well this is the first ATI card i've had for years (minus a brief test of 4890's in crossfire) and it looks like for the first time i'll also be getting their next architecture on release. That is unless by some miracle, 2nd generation Fermi gets it's act together, no doubt that's likely to be a long way away as a result of this delay, which imho has firmly put ATI in control of the market in a way that Nvidia could never have forseen.

7. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    imagine if nvidia made something important for everyday life like.... beer,then i could understand all the hoopla and dismay.
    look like ati is pitching for awhile yet

8. Markgpl

Markgpl Master Guru

GPU:
    Gbyte AORUS RX 580
    ATI had some delay with high tdp and below expected performance with 2xxx series and look how healty is now.
    Hi end gaming gets boring if it's just about wich videocard performs how, too much skill at games makes us eat a game alive in a couple of hours, then we entertain ourself benching. I almost found tech demos as interesting (if not more) than most games.
    Go green, keep racing with red, we win.

9. H-Ackermans

H-Ackermans Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX550Ti
    All the mess nVidia is in, is based on hear-say, rumours, un-informed websites posting anti-nVidia stuff or simply stirring the pot just for the heck of it.

We know NOTHING with certainty about the Fermi cards.

10. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Sounds disappointing.. Sounds like the 470 will fall short of the 5870 while the 480 will perhaps outperform the 5870 by a somewhat generous margin like 20-25%, like the GTX280 did against the HD4870.

/ Inferred speculation

Too little too late, I say. :(

11. tronicson

tronicson Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 HydroCopper
    i really wonder (!) what performance can be expected - where it places itself in the bench-charts.. i guess nvidia was really surprised about the 'cypress' chip's performance.. and beside other issues with chip production they tried for sure to push the chip as far as possible

until now only statistics about far better tesselation performance over ATi and other benches that could not be validated, showed up - nothing really believable and all marketing.. well - we'll see soon :)

high-end graphicscards are more or less the best companion of a gamer - and mostly gamers buy the high-end cards... so the aim is always to build the best performing card available to ensure the success and legitimate a good price to cover the meanwhile surely high development/production costs

at the end i am only sure about one thing already.. the drivers will be probably better than the ATi ones ;-) (but it's nowadays already a bit better)

12. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    2900xt all over again

this is not ati fanboy speaking but:

nvidia sure got what they deserve for their arrogance...

13. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    Nobody seems to care that Nvidia makes a superior product to ATI. Give me an Nvidia card over an ATI card that's twice as fast any day of the week! Why? Because ATI's drivers have always sucked, and if a decade of tweaking hasn't fixed them yet, what makes anyone think they will be fixed in the future? It's been nothing but bugs and headaches and game incompatibilities.

Seriously, anyone buying a Radeon probably doesn't have any real technical knowledge of what makes for a good video card, because otherwise they would have purchased an Nvidia card instead. ATI survives by offering their cards at a lower price than Nvidia, and sometimes by getting a product to market on a different cycle, allowing them to give the illusion that their cards are faster and therefore a better "value".

Radeons shouldn't even be taken seriously by hardcore gamers, especially gamers who want to play OpenGL games or older 3D games, both of which ATI has a terrible time of handling. Even D3D games can act really strange with ATI drivers. It's just how it's always been, and it's how it will always be.

Before anyone tries to defend ATI against what I said, remember that this was the company that tried to pass their "Rage" chips as a serious choice for gamers. Remember the incredible problems that people have had FOR TEN YEARS with their terrible drivers. Remember that the ONE TIME they had the jump on Nvidia, it was because MS decided to be an a-hole and not allow Nvidia to have input on DX9 spec, because Nvidia wanted the money owed them for Xbox and MS was indignant.

Nvidia is hands-down a far superior graphics company to ATI. ATI is the bargain-basement brand of graphics for more reasons than just a lower price. The corners have to be cut somewhere, kids.

14. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    go on nvidia fanboys, flame Hilbert for writing a biased article.... i dare you!

15. Peter Buxu

Peter Buxu Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GeForce GTX 280 OCX
    I think this is taking much longer because the product as the article states has ran into some problems, moreover the problems at TSMC + that Nvidia wants to deliver a really good product to the end users.......they don't want to accelerate the process.....what if for example they release it today and then end users go to buy the card and then when they will throw some games to it, the card itself will fail after some time or it does not perform as it should!!!!!!

I have been with Nvidia since I have bought my first computer & I had never regret it & I think, based on all the products that they have released, I think that I would stick with them for my entire life.

So I think that this is taking so long, so as they will deliver a high end product to the end user and I think that you must respect that eeeee!!!!

16. Markgpl

Markgpl Master Guru

GPU:
    Gbyte AORUS RX 580
    That's an opinion, millions of users doesn't share it, are you sure you'r the only buyer that has REAL technical knowledge?

17. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    Damn, first or second gen of fermi, it doesn't matter, either way, i'm going to be waiting a long time for a new GPU, it always takes a while for the hardcore factory O.C models to come out and i'll be waiting for that.

:(

I thought they might release in late march and that i'd have one soon after...maybe not now, as long as I get some benchmarks before launch aka 9am PST monday 22nd...

I will be happy with at least knowing if it is any good...unless the 'big update' is a new driver version for older models or some tegra news, that or the Nvidia big cheese tweets about an awesome bagel he had...

EDIT:

Kudos on the great article, and +1000 for the Mr C diss, it made my night, he's carving 'Hilbert' into his chest with a Mashette ala Predator as we speak

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  18. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Really ?

Sorry but i'm not a brainless fanboi

i get whatever is best bang for my buck and it was not nvidia this time.

19. tronicson

tronicson Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 HydroCopper
    hehe - it raises here again to what it always was about - let's call it the "fermi-hype" - just a fanboy-war

20. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Can everybody step away from the fanboy things please, share your opinion but there is no need for flaming and trolling.